XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stability Control Fail, Traction Control Fail and Engine Fail safe mode

Old 07-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stability Control Fail, Traction Control Fail and Engine Fail safe mode

I bought 5 months ago a Jaguar XJ8 1999, 108.000 Miles

I have This problem actually 3 problems but I think They are connected between them,
Traction Control Failure light
Stability Control Failure light
Fail Safe Engine Mode
I search here postes with the same problem and I find 2 posts>

1.Traction Control Craziness

2. Stability control failure / engine fail safe mode – No ABS light

The only think I can add

I have this errors when it's hot outside, in the morning no just in the afternoon

Another think

Before I had just 2 lights "on" sometimes the traction and stability and sometimes ABS too

Thank you

Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

First I would make sure you have a good quality battery with a full charge. If the battery is old or does not have a sufficient charge it can cause error codes like the ones you are experiencing.

You probably already saw the "check your battery" recommendation in one of the other threads, but I just wanted to stress that until you have ruled out the battery I would not spend very much time researching other causes.

Good luck...

The following users liked this post:
Vadimqa (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Just wanted to back what some have already said. I was driving along enjoying a beautiful day in a beautiful car then BAM..Traction control/ABS and some others I think.
It would barely move. Got it towed to my house and started the trouble shooting with help from this forum. My battery was low. And only a 1 year old Interstate. Turned out to be the alternator. By checking the charge at the battery this was what it was. Had it rebuilt locally for about $75.00. Almost 18 months now and runs great w/no lights... So for sure start with battery and/or alternator. then go from there(connections, ect).

Vadimqa (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 PM

Thank You Very much for the quick Answer,
Today I had just 2 times "failsafe engine" and i did 80 miles,
But, I check the battery this are the pictures I don't know what's the year?!
How I can check if it's a good Battery?!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Go to an auto parts store and have the battery load tested and the generator checked.

Vadimqa (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

My PC is playing up, so ignore if you see my post on this forum.

Mea culpa !!

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 07-15-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 PM

Ehi Guys

Bad News ;(

Today I checked the Battery and Generator, and everything is Fine "Test Passed"

The guy from AutoZone sad that I need to Reset the sensors and check it.

(the battery is November 2013 and has 36 months warranty)

Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadimqa

I have this errors when it's hot outside, in the morning no, just in the afternoon
Interesting. I've read this same environmental temperature condition related to a number of different ailments, most commonly "no start" situations. When I first bought my x308, that first summer I would sometimes come out of my office at the end of the day and the car would swipe the windshield wipers once then not turn over on the first attempt, but I could turn the key off and on again and it would start on the second attempt. I read these forums religiously, trying fixes for various "theories", like replacing battery, ground straps, to no avail. I finally decided that it must be related to the relentless Texas sun and the inside cabin temperature at 5:00pm. Perhaps some control module inside the cabin, perhaps in the instrument cluster is sensitive to high temperature. It never gets this hot in Coventry so maybe Jaguar didn't fully test for it. I bought a better windshield sunshade, one made of thicker insulation and reflective foil rather than the springy hoop fabric one I had before and began leaving the sunroof in the tilted position during the day to help vent some of the heat. That seems to have fixed it as it has not happened again in the last 4 years. Unfortunately, my employer does not provide garage parking so every bit of plastic, rubber and vinyl on the car is starting to deteriorate, but that's another story.

Vadimqa (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Or when I take a pit or something like that, it seems that there any defective contact,
At this point I have to do more tests.

Also in my opinion and it's connected to the temperature of the dashboard, I will see

Thank you

Old 07-20-2016, 09:56 PM

Recapping>
Today I had like 15 times this error, in the afternoon
I never had too much times the error, but I had have to retorn at home, so I'll explain better my problem thinking somebody we'll help me:
Yesterday I went to the mechanic I explain him everything
He check with the computer and I have 2 "faults"
The first one is about AC (but it's work fine)
The second is "U1261" (ABS) The front speed sensor on the right
And this is the reason why sometimes I had the light ON ABS
I don't think the Error "Fail Safe Engine Mode" it's connected with this this
Because I saw sometimes just Traction/Stability Control Failure and Fail Safe Engine no ABS light ON.
The Mechanic sad that they can be connected but I don't know
What do You Think?!

And Another think
When I had today 10 times "FailSafe Engine" I noticed that when I stop the car for more time after this I can drive for more distance without Errors
If I stop the car for 10 min After that I can do like 2 miles if I stop for 30 minutes I can do 5 mile or more
It's connected with the temperature maybe?!

Ahhh

Thank you for the atention and sorry for my english is not of the best
I came from Italy 6 moths ago

Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Welcome to our fine country, your English is just fine.

A couple things come to mind-
1. sand the contacts where the negative battery cable bolts to the car and the positive bulkhead connector.
2. unplug and replug the connector to the throttle body a few times.

Also, a brand new battery is a good idea as it removes one possible issue. I have seen aging batteries in Jaguars cause very odd things. Notice I said aging, and not BAD.

After this you can start to drill down on what the problems may be- otherwise you may be chasing gremlins that do not exist (I know because I have chased them)

Vadimqa (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm guessing when yo had the battery and charging system checked it was charging at something like 13.? volts. My was throwing these lights too. Ended up being the alternator. It was putting out only 11.? vo;ts. Rebuilt that and no problems since...

Vadimqa (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by larney
I'm guessing when yo had the battery and charging system checked it was charging at something like 13.? volts. My was throwing these lights too. Ended up being the alternator. It was putting out only 11.? vo;ts. Rebuilt that and no problems since...
4 Days ago I went to AutoZone and Ask the guy to check the Battery and alternator, He testet everything is passed test, after that when I start to go home is came out the errors FailSAfe Engine and others after that I ask him to test another time with this errors, and everything was passed
It's possibile ?!

Old 07-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

are you having any transmission codes?

I had similar codes and fixed it by replacing my dual linear switch (DLS). Did they first trip when you shifted? check out my thread. also I have an extra shifter assembly that comes with a DLS if you need one to buy

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ue-dls-160145/

Vadimqa (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by vsol
are you having any transmission codes?

I had similar codes and fixed it by replacing my dual linear switch (DLS). Did they first trip when you shifted? check out my thread. also I have an extra shifter assembly that comes with a DLS if you need one to buy

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ue-dls-160145/
I saw your post and my probmel is different, the CAR is always start when I start it 75% there no FailSafe Engine just 25% maybe start it with FailSafe Engine, but when I start Driving it's coming the error
And I have this problem just when is hot, really hot

Monday I'm going to the Busch Services to gim him my battery and ask to change it it's 32 months old
It have a warranty 36 months so I think it can work to change it an maybe this is the problem

Last edited by Vadimqa; 07-23-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM

Well my traction stability and abs lights came on today too. Happened while cruising for a while on the highway. My battery is a good interstate battery less than a year old. Not sure whats causing it, hopefully I don't get a failsafe mode !

Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue with a 2001 4.0. I changed the earth (ground) strap in the boot (trunk) and the engine earth strap. The battery strap came apart with a hard tug. This may be because of 2 dis-similar metals in the braided strap and the cleats. The engine earth strap was in poor condition as it open to the elements under the car, especially here in Ireland. I also changed the battery 3 months later. Additionally, I changed the Inertia switch as I suspected that it was "Iffy". Going fine now.

vsol (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by GaineR
I had the same issue with a 2001 4.0. I changed the earth (ground) strap in the boot (trunk) and the engine earth strap. The battery strap came apart with a hard tug. This may be because of 2 dis-similar metals in the braided strap and the cleats. The engine earth strap was in poor condition as it open to the elements under the car, especially here in Ireland. I also changed the battery 3 months later. Additionally, I changed the Inertia switch as I suspected that it was "Iffy". Going fine now.
I will check out the straps and see if i can locate the inertia switch if that doesn't solve the problem. thanks for the post

Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 PM

I went today to the mechanic and I drove to see the on light fail safe engine mode
After that he check with the computer "no Fails" nothing but the light was ON,
After that he starts the car many times and then try to accelerate after that no light ON
He says that can be this the problem:

Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Pic shows your MAF circled.

Check all ground straps. Download the manual for your car from the Sticky pages at the top of the 308 section.

R&R, clean, spray DeoxIt and reconnect the MAF plug.

In fact, it is not a bad idea to do that to ANY electrical connectors you can reach.

A "Gold connector" kit is available for the MAF plug too, search for it.

Check for any air leaks in the intake system.

Replace the battery.

Have your knock sensors gotten wet at any time? They would probably throw a code.

Inertia sensor is located on the right side of the dash, open the right door to see the access panel here:
Vector

Attached Thumbnails Stability Control Fail, Traction Control Fail and Engine Fail safe mode-inertia-switch-1.gif