Exhaust & Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Exhaust & Intake?

Hello,
New to the Jaguar forums.

I have a 06 XKR and i was trying to find the best exhaust and intake for it.

Any suggestions?

-Alex

Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a Jag newbie (05 XKR) but have been researching the heck out of this.

For intakes? I suggest just going to a K&N filter and leave it at that. The intakes that lay on top of the motor would show a slight power increase WITH THE HOOD UP, but otherwise likely a lose. If there is a GOOD intake that pulls from OUTSIDE then maybe.

Check out You Tube for "XKR exhaust." You can see and hear the different offerings. The "X PIPE" is probably the "best", but looks like they're about $3K!
I suspect they're all close on performance results.

A low dollar alternative? On eBay there is a set of bypasses for the rear mufflers/resonators that should give you a little volume and freer flow for around $400 with shipping - lowest cost.

Nothing says you can't just go to a muffler shop and have them straight-pipe eliminate a muffler or two. I'm looking at having an X-pipe (generic) to replace the forward muffler. Might put in electric cutoffs (about $400) to give me the choice between loud and quiet.

Good luck - and stick around this forum. Not a lot of people where but great info. Do some "searches" on the search feature for keywords like "XKR exhaust" etc, etc.

Do you have a coupe or 'vert?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Try Jaguar XP for exhaust choice. Its a place to start.

Also try the search tool on exhaust. Not too long ago some one posted some thing about exhausts. I'll see if I can find it if you can't.

Check out Quicksilver Exhausts at:

http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/

Last edited by daddyo007; 02-24-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Miami XKR

Originally Posted by dfwx
I'm a Jag newbie (05 XKR) but have been researching the heck out of this.

For intakes? I suggest just going to a K&N filter and leave it at that. The intakes that lay on top of the motor would show a slight power increase WITH THE HOOD UP, but otherwise likely a lose. If there is a GOOD intake that pulls from OUTSIDE then maybe.

Check out You Tube for "XKR exhaust." You can see and hear the different offerings. The "X PIPE" is probably the "best", but looks like they're about $3K!
I suspect they're all close on performance results.

A low dollar alternative? On eBay there is a set of bypasses for the rear mufflers/resonators that should give you a little volume and freer flow for around $400 with shipping - lowest cost.

Nothing says you can't just go to a muffler shop and have them straight-pipe eliminate a muffler or two. I'm looking at having an X-pipe (generic) to replace the forward muffler. Might put in electric cutoffs (about $400) to give me the choice between loud and quiet.

Good luck - and stick around this forum. Not a lot of people where but great info. Do some "searches" on the search feature for keywords like "XKR exhaust" etc, etc.

Do you have a coupe or 'vert?

I have a copper black covert Victory etd.

Do you know if the xkr will gain power if you do straight pipe from header back?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Miami XKR

Actually this sounds good!
Mina exhaust, Performance Intake kit, Supercharger pulley all for $1115.oo!

Has anyone used these mods before? are they any good?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

If you can afford it, the MacLeod X-Pipe is the one to get:
http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...nce/X-pipe.htm

Here is what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeqTzvkzWw

I'm probably going to end up with the standard Mina system, since it seems to be the most affordable, but I might look into a custom setup from an exhaust shop.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwx
I'm Nothing says you can't just go to a muffler shop and have them straight-pipe eliminate a muffler or two. I'm looking at having an X-pipe (generic) to replace the forward muffler. Might put in electric cutoffs (about $400) to give me the choice between loud and quiet.
Back in July I posted some pictures of my exhaust without the center muffler. Do a search for XK8 exhaust without center muffler as the title of the message.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the MacLeod X-Pipes I, and they are music to my ears. The sound is head and shoulder over an OEM exhaust, and I have been more than satisfied with them. That being said, they do not add any MPG's that I can ascertain. As far as improved HP's, I can't feel any difference in acceleration, although that is very subjective. The look is great though, and the sound is phenominal!
Brian

Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Miami XKR

Any opinions on the MINA exhaust?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you post any attachment that tells us what the sound INSIDE is - and if it is a coupe or a convert? Thanks DaleD

PS the sound outside sounds great! d

Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 AM

Hi Dale,
Sorry, I don't have the means of recording the interior sound. I have a coupe, and (to me) it is the perfect blend of subtlety and aggressive roar. You hardly notice the exhaust noise from the inside...........until you put your foot into it, and then it positively comes alive! I can't tell you how many people have commented on how nice it sounds from their perspective as I merely drive away. As I said in other related threads, I couldn't be happier with the look and the sound! Damn, I love that car!
Regards,
Brian

Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with Brian your best bet is the MacLeod exhaust system, they have dynoed that exhaust & have seen app 20hp increase. The Mina system is more cosmetic. As far as intake you want a cold air intake, not something that draws in hot air from under the hood.
Name:  Brakes006.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  189.8 KB
Name:  Brakes005.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  140.5 KB
You need to make something like this, it does not have to be this crazy but you see the idea as the filter is in the front wheel well. The Mina system will give you noise but no power increase, more mlikely in warm weather when starting less because of the heat.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey JAXKR--where did you get all the chromed/polished/carbonfiber appearance goodies?

Doug

Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I am a member of XKEC & found the strut caps & air intake thru members of the forum. The air meter is a custom unit I had made here in the US thru Mass Airflow, the rest of the intake is a custom setup I made. The polishing on the factory parts as well as the custom items was done by a company local to me that specalize in metal polishing. The carbon is thru a company in the midwest VC Finnishes. Hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is beautiful!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I particularly like the strut caps as these are somewhat subtle--it there some supplier of these that you can point us to?

Doug

Old 02-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Miami XKR

JAXKR If you plan on selling any of your parts let me know.
I will buy them asap : )

Old 02-28-2010, 06:32 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

JAXKR - Very cool look. Stock enough to meet my tastes, yet real eye candy under the hood.

Is the air inlet tube insulated, or just tubular steel?

Quick Reply: Exhaust & Intake?