XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farwell my friends on the forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Farewell my friends on the forum

I purchased my 2004 XK8 in June of 2011 with about 60,000 miles. It was my first Jaguar, and I have enjoyed "the ride". The car is truly an experience, with frequent comments about its beauty. But it is time to move on, today I traded it in. At 110k miles, it still ran well, didn't burn oil, shifted well, had many new parts over the last few years, but for me, it just simply was time. I am sure someone will enjoy it for many miles still. Surprisingly I got a great trade in allowance of $8500, and it wasn't just tacked on to the purchase price of the new car, as I had made the deal without the trade, then asked what they would give me for the Jaguar. Frankly, I thought $9000 would have been about the ceiling on a private sale. For those wondering, I had considered replacing my XK8 with another XK8 or XK with lower miles, but after considering what convertible options were out there for the cash I was willing to spend, I opened myself up to other options. I ended up with a 2014 Camaro convertible 2LT V6 with just 14k miles. While it is no Jaguar, it really does drive very nice, handles better than my XK8 ever did, sounds great even if not a V8. Yes I will miss the Jaguar, it has been my baby that I put my blood, sweat, and many many hours making it better than it was when I got it.

To all on the forum, thank you!!! This forum is the only way I could have maintained and repaired, and frankly, afforded to keep my car. You are a fantastic group, like an extended family. The willingness to help, the great advice, and fantastic knowledge is unmatched. At the risk of not remembering or mentioning everyone worthy, I will mention special thanks to Steve WhiteXKR, Matt h2oboy, Gus, of course I have to mention the great - long gone from the forum but his legacy lives on - Rev Sam, and so many others, espessially those who do and have jumped in to help, as well as the moderators, keeping things organized. And of course the sponsors helping to keep the forum alive. I wish you all the very best!

I do have some items left over that I would part with for those interested, for shipping costs only, as my way to give back to the forum...as long as you give your word that they will be used by you and not sold. I have the factory head unit/radio, the trunk mounted amp, a tonneau cover (beige) and pleather bag for it, the chrome splitter for the front facia. 2 new polyflex purple front sway bar bushings never used. Also, probably not worth shipping but for anyone local-sh who may want to drive to Saint Augustine FL I have 2 front brake rotors which have maybe 20k miles on them, but do need turning as they did pulsate a bit but are in great condition. If interested in any of this, PM me.

Again, thank you all...I will miss you guys.

The following 11 users liked this post by SteveJacks:
01Silverstone (06-16-2015), batroute (06-14-2015), ccfulton (06-14-2015), GGG (06-14-2015), jamdmyers (06-15-2015), JimC64 (06-13-2015), Jon89 (06-14-2015), MRomanik (06-14-2015), sklimii (06-14-2015), test point (06-13-2015), WhiteXKR (06-14-2015) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

It is not required that you leave your friends just because you sold your car. Come back . . . often.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Steve, firstly sorry to hear you've sold the jag and are moving on, but that's life I guess.
Hopefully the XK8 goes to a loving home and is cared for and loved by its new owner.

Congrats on your new purchase, sounds like a beauty?
Maybe you will share a few pics in the "other rides" section and show her off a little?

I thank you for the kudos you give to this forum, its members and moderators, much appreciated.

As a long standing and valued member, Jag owner or not, you will always be made more than welcome here at any time, hopefully you'll still drop by and share your knowledge from time to time?
All my very best
Jim

Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Steve,

Sorry to see you go but pleased to hear you've enjoyed the four years with the XK8 and got a good deal at the end of it.

Hope the Camaro is a reliable replacement.

Graham

Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I had two Corvettes, and a couple of Camaros. You will be back. No one notices a Camaro, or a Corvette for that matter, except for other Camaro or Corvette owners. Sitting on vinyl, and surrounded by plastic, with a low revving, oil leaking engine, I kind of enjoy life in a Jaguar, or Porsche. The size of the Camaros trunk doesn't even allow you to carry much more than a suitcase, if you can fit it through the small opening. I hope you love it, but comfort, and no longer having the need for drag racing has made me a permanent Jag owner.......Good Luck....Mike

Old 06-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Congratulations on the new car Steve.
You are always welcome to stop by the forum when you get nostalgic for the Jag.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Best wishes Steve. Enjoy the new Camaro (and the new-car warranty that transfers with it)....

Old 06-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

<p>best wishes!</p>

Old 06-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

PM sent for the goodies. Spares for my 2004 are always welcome.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default re farewell

Like me, you will probably not delete the forum site from your "favorites" list so you can revisit from time to time. I also sold my XK8 and am trying a Porsche Boxster S for a while. I maintain contact with the Jag-owning friends that I made during the two years I drove the Jaguar, and here I am browsing the forum again, two months after selling the car.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you will be back. Corvettes, Mustangs and Camero's are great cars but there is one on every corner. I have people stop and ask me ... "is the car a Jaguar?" You roll through a small town and they have never seen one before. ..... You'll be back.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

All the best to you Steve...you have been a great member of this forum!

Please do stop by and visit us.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I do have some items left over that I would part with for those interested, for shipping costs only, as my way to give back to the forum...as long as you give your word that they will be used by you and not sold. I have the factory head unit/radio, the trunk mounted amp, a tonneau cover (beige) and pleather bag for it, the chrome splitter for the front facia. 2 new polyflex purple front sway bar bushings never used. Also, probably not worth shipping but for anyone local-sh who may want to drive to Saint Augustine FL I have 2 front brake rotors which have maybe 20k miles on them, but do need turning as they did pulsate a bit but are in great condition. If interested in any of this, PM me.

Thank you all for the nice comments.

The tonneau cover & bag have been claimed. Sway bar bushes are gone.

I still have the radio, amp, cd changer (not mentioned in initial post), and rotors. Chrome splitter hasn't been claimed. One member mentioned an interest in "spares" but not any specific item(s) and I haven't heard back from him on exactly what he wants... So If someone wants any item remaining please PM me. I also found some spare dash bulbs and I think 1 or 2 climate control bulbs, all new.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Smile

Farewell Steve
Thank you for so many contributions to the Forum over the years.
We will miss you.
But I think you will miss us more, sooner than you think.
We will be here, with open arms, awaiting your return.
Juan

Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Steve--good luck with the new vehicle. In my opinion the new Camaro's looks are pretty slick. Sure you see more of those around than Jaguars but they are still sharp looking and I expect relatively dependable. Folks sometimes belittle the American cars but the 1995 Corvette I owned for 14 years was exceptionally reliable and not bad on maintenance expense, and the quality control has undoubtedly only gotten better in the last 20 years.

Keep in touch with the forum from time to time.

Doug

Old 06-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I purchased my 2004 XK8 in June of 2011 with about 60,000 miles. It was my first Jaguar, and I have enjoyed "the ride". The car is truly an experience, with frequent comments about its beauty. But it is time to move on, today I traded it in. At 110k miles, it still ran well, didn't burn oil, shifted well, had many new parts over the last few years, but for me, it just simply was time. I am sure someone will enjoy it for many miles still. Surprisingly I got a great trade in allowance of $8500, and it wasn't just tacked on to the purchase price of the new car, as I had made the deal without the trade, then asked what they would give me for the Jaguar. Frankly, I thought $9000 would have been about the ceiling on a private sale. For those wondering, I had considered replacing my XK8 with another XK8 or XK with lower miles, but after considering what convertible options were out there for the cash I was willing to spend, I opened myself up to other options. I ended up with a 2014 Camaro convertible 2LT V6 with just 14k miles. While it is no Jaguar, it really does drive very nice, handles better than my XK8 ever did, sounds great even if not a V8. Yes I will miss the Jaguar, it has been my baby that I put my blood, sweat, and many many hours making it better than it was when I got it.

To all on the forum, thank you!!! This forum is the only way I could have maintained and repaired, and frankly, afforded to keep my car. You are a fantastic group, like an extended family. The willingness to help, the great advice, and fantastic knowledge is unmatched. At the risk of not remembering or mentioning everyone worthy, I will mention special thanks to Steve WhiteXKR, Matt h2oboy, Gus, of course I have to mention the great - long gone from the forum but his legacy lives on - Rev Sam, and so many others, espessially those who do and have jumped in to help, as well as the moderators, keeping things organized. And of course the sponsors helping to keep the forum alive. I wish you all the very best!

Hi Steve, good luck on your Camaro.... I was contemplating on getting getting me a mustang before the Jag's whisper is louder than the Mustang... :-) in any case....I wonder if the Chrome front splitter is claimed? mine's a little bent. I'll pm you also.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll have to check on if they'll fit but, if they do, I could really use the sway bar bushings for my 2002 XKR... best of luck with the Camaro!

Old 06-17-2015, 02:21 PM

All spares have been claimed and shipped.

The following 2 users liked this post by SteveJacks:
cjd777 (06-17-2015), JimC64 (06-17-2015)