Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

filler/paint advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default filler/paint advice needed

hi there

Not long ago I noticed a couple of small bubbles just behind the rear wheel. They weren't big but I assumed they were due to rust.
When I was cleaning the car, I popped them when I was taking some wax off, which surprised me a bit but also got me worried because now there's a way for water to get in behind the paint.
So, yesterday I got sanding, and low and behold there's no rust there, just a white filler. I took that back to bare metal and there are no holes.
So it looks like someone has repaired some rust prior and resprayed.

Here's a couple of pictures:

So - I'm after advice regarding what to use to put this back as-was. I am going to get access behind the panel to spray with dinitrol cavity wax, so I'm not looking to rust proof here.

While I was sanding, the white filler had the smell of fibreglass resin. I want something that isn't going to react adversely with this, obviously.
I'm thinking an epoxy filler sounds like it might be the right way to go. There's not a large dent, I only need a very thin layer of whatever I do use.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions regarding filler and primer to use, and in which order. Could I use a high fill primer on its own, for instance?

I am limited to aerosol cans by the way, no spray setup in my garage yet.

Attached Thumbnails filler/paint advice needed-12276117714_6e5b82390a_c.jpg   filler/paint advice needed-12276113664_5d18f13c84_c.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Standard filler is a mixture of fibreglass resin & chalk so that's why it smells of resin.

It sounds as if the rust spots weren't treated properly so it would be worth doing that with something like Kurust before re filling.

You'll never get a decent paint match with aerosol cans so if it's worth getting right you may want to consider getting a quote from an outfit like Chipsaway.

PS. I'm in Skewen, where in Swansea are you?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

cheers - i'm going to give halfords mixing a go and see how I get on. It's not a very visible spot and if I'm not happy then I've only spent a few quid.

re Swansea: I'm in Morriston - small world!

Originally Posted by JonWat
Standard filler is a mixture of fibreglass resin & chalk so that's why it smells of resin.

It sounds as if the rust spots weren't treated properly so it would be worth doing that with something like Kurust before re filling.

You'll never get a decent paint match with aerosol cans so if it's worth getting right you may want to consider getting a quote from an outfit like Chipsaway.

PS. I'm in Skewen, where in Swansea are you?