XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Proof Adhesive for Hood Liner

Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Fire Proof Adhesive for Hood Liner

Repairing the under hood liner on my XK8. Using a new material to place on top of the existing liner the new material is fire resistant as is the thread but I need an adhesive for putting down the cloth. Any idea?

Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

There are many fire proof mastics available. Why not just Google for them?

What fabric did you use for your new hood liner? The original is like very thin card? I can see why you want to replace the old one, mine was not in good condition. However I bought a new one from SNG Barrett and the new ones are in worse condition than the old ones, NOT SNG Barretts fault its just the fault of Jaguar who supplied them.

This is how I tackled my bonnet/hood Click Me To Read

The following users liked this post:
Rezzz (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Gonzo (RIP) who used to make custom hood liners recommended 3M #80 spray adhesive when mounting his liners. #80 is good to 200F. #90 is good to 250F and seems to be easier to obtain.

If you have the confidence to drill holes in your hood frame you can also add OE retainers around the edge to tidy up the droop. I added a few retainers to mine and looks way better. Jaguar # KRS113130

Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezzz
Repairing the under hood liner on my XK8. Using a new material to place on top of the existing liner the new material is fire resistant as is the thread but I need an adhesive for putting down the cloth. Any idea?

Have you considered just replacing the liner instead of adding a patch on top of the existing liner ? I mention this because with the XKR (not your model , I know) the stock hood liner will contact the various hoses with the result that the hoses will abrade significantly over time. This will happen even with zero sag of the stock liner.

Adding another layer of hood liner might reduce needed clearance, even on the XK8 model.

In the case of my XKR I decided I did not want to cut out the point(s) of interference on a good looking stock original part. So I just removed the liner. After several months and several thousand miles of driving, no downside to doing so. No noticeable increase of engine noise in the cockpit, no impact of heat on the hood, and no more abrading the intercooler hoses..

Z

Old 04-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I certainly would not be putting material on top of the old liner. As stated above the clearance is bad now. If you look at most photos of the engine bays of our cars you will see rub marks on top of the engine.

As for removing the liner you may not see, or hear, much difference now but wait awhile. Take a look at your hoods paintwork. The heat can effect it. The first thing you may notice is like a dark shadow at the base of the paint, you get that even with the insulation. I should imagine any effect will be magnified by the removal of insulation.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
I certainly would not be putting material on top of the old liner. As stated above the clearance is bad now. If you look at most photos of the engine bays of our cars you will see rub marks on top of the engine.

As for removing the liner you may not see, or hear, much difference now but wait awhile. Take a look at your hoods paintwork. The heat can effect it. ....".
My '02 XKR has had 23,000 miles and 13 months without the liner, Majority of those miles in 90-100 degree F heat. So far zero paint degradation . My hood could use a repaint anyway due to 2 dings put on it from a raccoon family incursion into my garage one night. So it wasn't much of a gamble for me to remove my hood liner. I just wasn't willing to hack up an original part like some owners have done.

Z