XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First major mods done....finally!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default First major mods done....finally!

I upgraded the audio system with a new head unit and new speakers, replaced the aging navigation unit with a new one from Garmin that uses the factory monitor, installed both a backup camera and blind spot cameras which also use the factory monitor and activate with the turn signal. I started collecting parts for these mods last fall but was seriously delayed installing everything by some health issues. But, I got back on track after the first of the year when H2Oboy offered to help (thanks again Matt). However, before we could get started, I picked up a contract that required me to go to another state for several months (I'm still in Mississippi). Fortunately, this contract put me in close proximity to my business partner and best friend, who is also working an extended contract near me. As I'm sure H2Oboy can confirm as he did very similar mods to his XK8, these mods were not trivial! In fact, they were much harder and took much longer that I expected. That said, I am very pleased with the results.

First, the head unit; we installed a JVC KD-ADV49 Head Unit w/ XM Radio & Steering Wheel Controls. I selected this unit because I really like the way it looks, very factory-like. It also scores well on the gee-wiz scale! I had some help here from WhiteXKR (thanks again Steve) who was able to replace the internal microphone, which came with the KD-ADV49 unit but did not work well, with an external microphone, which works very well. WhiteXKR also helped with the blind spot camera system by wiring up the cameras to a video thing-a-mi-gig to make them turn on with the turn signals. WhiteXKR also installed the ambient light sensor from a spare XKR mirror into an aftermarket mirror with a video monitor that I had bought. However, I ended up not using that mirror and wired the cameras into the existing navigation screen. This worked well and was a little easier to install. I also installed a switch so that I can still see my Jaguar clock on the nav screen when it's not being used for anything else. One issue here however and a question for H2Oboy: how do you set the time on the clock?

Next, I installed a Garmin GVN 53 Navigation Upgrade on the Original Nav Screen. This is the exact same mod performed and documented so well by H2Oboy. Works great and the remote control is very easy to use, you don't even miss not having a touch screen.

The blind spot camera idea is new, at least I don't know of anyone else who has installed such a system, and came to me when I was having difficulty turning my head to check my blind spot as a result of the health issues mentioned above. I did find an aftermarket RADAR system, similar to the factory systems that are installed on some new cars today, but I liked the camera idea better. I have a camera installed on both corners of the front bumper that point backwards at about a 45 degree angle. It works very well.

My next mod will be installation of a new rear end with a 3.27 rear axle ratio and a limited slip differential (no I haven't forgot about you Motorcarman), but it will have to wait a few weeks more until I can break out from Mississippi for a few days and get back to Texas.
Let me know what you guys think?

One last thing, it's great to have my baby back! My X-Type is a great car but nothing compares to an XK8/R.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails First major mods done....finally!-20120613_200119.jpg   First major mods done....finally!-20120613_200037.jpg  

Last edited by mjlaris; 07-07-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (06-17-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Well done! And the audio install looks great...nice and clean.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Mark
I can't wait to see the updates. The diff is still in the box waiting for you.

bob gauff

Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Hey Mark, looking good! Put a $10 supermagnet behind that cradle and a washer in the battery door of the remote, and that baby won't budge from the thing.

Sent you a PM on the navi clock. It sets the time automatically via satellite, but you have to change the DST on/off accordingly. In order to do so, the 'alpine system' consisting of radio, amp, and navi must be talking somewhat...I always had to power my radio by plugging it back into the factory harness (extended of course), but you might find a wire or two, with power or ground connected to radio harness, may fool the navi into operating for you.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Mark
I can't wait to see the updates. The diff is still in the box waiting for you.

bob gauff

You have others?, You are right up the street from me.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
Yes, I'll be adding a limited slip differential, quad tail lights, clear front and rear driving lights, and '05 rear bumper and quad exhaust tips. That's all for this year but I'm already working on my list for next year.

Mark

Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 AM

All the parts for Mark's car are provided by HIM. I just install some of them.

bob gauff

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Mark, your car is shaping up to be quite something. I love how the mods are so intentional and do exactly what you need them to do without being too obtrusive.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Mark, your car is shaping up to be quite something. I love how the mods are so intentional and do exactly what you need them to do without being too obtrusive.
Thanks Ken, that was my intention, to update the car without loosing the "factory" look. I have some more coming later this summer but I've been working 13 to 14 hour days for the last several weeks with no time for anything except eating and sleeping.

Mark

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice work !
The head unit is the weakpoint to the interior of the interior, in my opinion. Apart from that, I love it - even more so than the later XK interior.

Anyway, how did you do the flush-curved bezel to the headunit ? That looks superb.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by franksm
Anyway, how did you do the flush-curved bezel to the headunit ? That looks superb.
It's off an older XJ; there's another post here that gives the part number. As for the head unit, I like it. It tilts, has interesting touch controls and the screen is easy to use. Plus it works with the steering wheel controls.

Mark

Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I finally escaped from Mississippi long enough to get home to Texas and have motorcarman (Thanks Bob) install my new rear end with the Quiafe Limited Slip Differential and new rear axle ratio (3.27 vs. 3.06). As always, Bob did a great job and it pulls very strong, really pushes you back in the seat. I still have a few more things to do this year (side molding removal, quad tail lights, '05 rear bumper and quad exhaust tips) but I'm making progress. I'd post photos but with the differential, there's really nothing (external) to see.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 07-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Mark. I did like the reverse camera AND the turn signal view in the NAV screen. I was REALLY impressed!!!!! The system you have is everything that the factory system is lacking.

bob gauff

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob, I just need to turn up the brightness; there is an adjustment on the PAC Video module but I haven't gotten to it yet. That said, I was very pleased with the way that all worked out. Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 07-07-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
Well, I finally escaped from Mississippi long enough to get home to Texas and have motorcarman (Thanks Bob) install my new rear end with the Quiafe Limited Slip Differential and new rear axle ratio (3.27 vs. 3.06). As always, Bob did a great job and it pulls very strong, really pushes you back in the seat. I still have a few more things to do this year (side molding removal, quad tail lights, '05 rear bumper and quad exhaust tips) but I'm making progress. I'd post photos but with the differential, there's really nothing (external) to see.

Mark
Pics of two long dark patches, vid of doing donuts in a parking lot will suffice

Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Pics of two long dark patches, vid of doing donuts in a parking lot will suffice
I'll see what I can do .

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 07-09-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Default Blind Spot Cameras

Several members have asked about the blind spot cameras and where I got them. Originally, I had bought a couple of other cameras off eBay but when it came to installing then, I just could not find a good way to mount them. After some research, I ended up with the cameras shown in the photos above and after about a month of use, they really work great. I am very happy with this mod. Today, I finally located this info on these cameras, so, if anyone is interested these are the cameras I used:

Accell, RVC1150L and R and they only come in black, so you have to paint them to match you car.

I ordered them through a local car audio shop where I had other work done, if anyone wants that info, please pm me and I'll send it. I talked to Chuck (the owner) and he said if anyone is interested, you can order these parts through him.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 07-16-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Remove address flagged as advertising
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this is an old thread but can you comment on any changes if any required for the new rear end ratio? How does the spedo and tranny computers react? Thanks.