XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First test of brushed titanium wrapped console fascia

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 678 Likes on 552 Posts

It is awesome. The chrome trim really makes it look like part of the theme. Can't wait to see the final result now.

It scares me just a little bit that I am being won over to your new style. I'm actually much more of a wood and leather traditionalist.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,309 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Sorry - far too Audi-ish for me. Classic Jaguars have wood interiors. It's the law....

Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Sorry - far too Audi-ish for me. Classic Jaguars have wood interiors. It's the law....
Actually wrong. The XK8 was designed to harken back to the XKE and they had no wood at all except for possibly the steering wheel. And nothing is more classic than the XKE! And even the first XJS series had no wood. And the early 90's F type prototypes had metal dashes. The saloons were initially designed with extensive wood interiors. Now jaguar is embracing all metal fascias again. Especially on the sport cars.
The good thing is that the wood is still under the wrap and if u tire of it it simply peels off! First test of brushed titanium wrapped console fascia-image.jpg

Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
Very contemporary look. Don't think it would work in my car but it looks great on yours!
I don't agree! Its a very sport look and your XKR is a sports car!! Brushed metal looks great in any car. I didn't think I would like it and actually planned to tear it out but now I cant stand the thought of the wood any more!!! It feels SOOO neww!!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you guys getting your wrap material from and what tools are needed?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Windycityx
Where are you guys getting your wrap material from and what tools are needed?
I ordered from ebay. And I used a flexible wallpaper border blade. Actually used a soft cloth as I heated with hair dryer to stretch and press down. Cleaning surface is most important. And back of piece. And ONLY buy 3m brand.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
I ordered from ebay. And I used a flexible wallpaper border blade. Actually used a soft cloth as I heated with hair dryer to stretch and press down. Cleaning surface is most important. And back of piece. And ONLY buy 3m brand.
What exactly did you do with the soft cloth?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

What exactly did you do with the soft cloth?
I used it to smooth the film, pressing and rubbing back and forth as I pulled film tight. It doesn't damage at all. But this stuff is pretty durable!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 AM

How is it in the corners and around the gauge openings, does it look perfect even around the gauges?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

How is it in the corners and around the gauge openings, does it look perfect even around the gauges?
It takes practice. I ordered more than I needed and played with it. Once I had it smooth on the surface, I used a hair dryer and heated the gage openings and pressed it in around the edges. Then I cut a small hole in the middle and pressed it to the finished edge and cut slite so I could fold it around the back.
The corners are a bit harder, I had to heat it and really pull tight as I pressed it down. I realized to keep pressing with the soft cloth until it cooled and it stayed better. If you can fold it to the back and get it to stick, it stays much better.
Cleaning front and back is essential. And there's a small felt strip on the edges of the panels that has to be totally removed. I used goo gone to clean off tape residue from felt, then cleaned with 409 several times to really clean. Can also use rubbing alcohol.
It's easy once you get the hang of it and the corners and edges really hide well if you get a small crease. I'm going to add a small felt strip back when I'm satisfied with my finish.
Hey, it's fairly cheap and reversible.

The following users liked this post:
Windycityx (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks, great tips! I have been debating on getting it stained piano black, I just know as far as resale, 95% won't like it. And after seeing your car and already wanting to go black headliner, I think the 3M Di-noc carbon fiber may be the right one to try. And the of course, the fact it can be easily removed it's the way to go.

BTW how much did you order?

It takes practice. I ordered more than I needed and played with it. Once I had it smooth on the surface, I used a hair dryer and heated the gage openings and pressed it in around the edges. Then I cut a small hole in the middle and pressed it to the finished edge and cut slite so I could fold it around the back.
The corners are a bit harder, I had to heat it and really pull tight as I pressed it down. I realized to keep pressing with the soft cloth until it cooled and it stayed better. If you can fold it to the back and get it to stick, it stays much better.
Cleaning front and back is essential. And there's a small felt strip on the edges of the panels that has to be totally removed. I used goo gone to clean off tape residue from felt, then cleaned with 409 several times to really clean. Can also use rubbing alcohol.
It's easy once you get the hang of it and the corners and edges really hide well if you get a small crease. I'm going to add a small felt strip back when I'm satisfied with my finish.
Hey, it's fairly cheap and reversible.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, great tips! I have been debating on getting it stained piano black, I just know as far as resale, 95% won't like it. And after seeing your car and already wanting to go black headliner, I think the 3M Di-noc carbon fiber may be the right one to try. And the of course, the fact it can be easily removed it's the way to go.

BTW how much did you order?
I think I ordered 24x48".
If you do carbon, PLEASE try to match the pattern!! It will be harder but try to line up the pattern at the bottom of the fascia best you can. Otherwise, it will look wonkie!!
Maybe try the black brushed metallic if you really want a black. I personally think the carbon wraps look kinda cheap. Just my 2cents. I'm certainly not one to judge!!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Yes I saw a picture of someone who did that on this forum not matching the pattern up. I like the black brushed metallic for sure, I may go with that, thanks!

I think I ordered 24x48".
If you do carbon, PLEASE try to match the pattern!! It will be harder but try to line up the pattern at the bottom of the fascia best you can. Otherwise, it will look wonkie!!
Maybe try the black brushed metallic if you really want a black. I personally think the carbon wraps look kinda cheap. Just my 2cents. I'm certainly not one to judge!!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I think the 3M Di-noc carbon fiber may be the right one to try.
I have used 1080 on things, and not tried the Di-NOC personally, but, the Di-NOC is generally intended for flat surfaces and is a thicker film, so not as easy to bend. The 3M 1080 is a little thinner and easier to work around curves.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clasic look

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
Phil

Looks excellent with the black interior and if my cars interior were black I would shamelesly copy you.

But I bought my car for the classic Jag look, I'ld wanted since a boy, with pale interior and walnut. To me it just feels more "jaguarish" if that makes sense at all..
I too like the classic look of the XKR. My main reason for having one.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

First test of brushed titanium wrapped console fascia-image.jpgWell, I'm going back to a new wood interior. I already had the steering wheel and center shifter surround refinished in piano black so they stay. I found a new old stock XK8 100 edition beautiful light veneer set for the dash fascia. I'm adding the piano black and chrome detail across the bottom so I'll have a two toned veneer as well.
I replaced my XF ugly wood with carbon fiber and brushed black steel so I want wood back in the XK8!