XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing Convertible Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flushing Convertible Hydraulics

How often, if ever, does this need to be done?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Flushing Convertible Hydraulics

If you have never done it I would do of now. Be aware though that you are stressing the lines by flushing it. Flush it from the front top latch.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Bought the car almost a year ago used, so if it's been done, that is unknown to me.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 PM

look at the reservoir on right side trunk. If the fluid looks bright green, it has probably been done. If it looks like it has gellish stuff in there, I would flush it.

The following 2 users liked this post by FactoryJaguarTech:
Dr. D (11-13-2022), Orthodixie (03-21-2017)
Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks man. You're a God Send on this board!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:28 PM

thanks alot. Just happy to help when I can.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:51 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thanks

I wondered about this and had asked about flushing the lines. All I ever saw mentioned was changing the tank oil, which would be contaminated with old oil from the rams and hoses when cycling the top and some would never be completely cleared unless hoses flushed.

Old 11-13-2022, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Convertible top flushing, really? What does that have to do w/brakes? I hope this goes smoother, I haven't a clue how to do any of this social thingie. Never was much good @ sucking up. All I need is a book. If I only had information for the car I own, that would be sportin...... I feel as though this is a; proprietary/conspiracy. Shouldn't information be readily available to the person that has ownership? Excuse me. I'm American, we resolve mechanical issues w/manufacturer information thats normally disclosed. The older I get, the more things get Wack. This is hard for a intelligent, non-conformist, pro-driver, Union-man. I truly just want to get information for this car. I don't want to bother y'all. Where did y'all get the book for these cars. I don't think figuring this all out, comes naturally. How does one socially except an alleged solution, w/o documented manufacturers fact?
Don't y'all get upset w/me yet, please.. I tend to evaluate the facts, kinda like a realist. I'm really not a jerk, well maybe for buyi..... I'LL be good, I hope! Is there folks here on this social event site, that has credentials, schooling degree, engineer?
Not being negative, or making this out to be a personal thing. I just need this car to drive, but it's kinda female a lot more than it should. I know Im the one that put myself in this position. I should of done more R&D before plunging in w/o a clue. Excuse me, for being momentarily ignorant. Only briefly!! If I had disposable income, I'd of bought a Corvette. Sorry guys, I'm just honest too. Can someone please help me rationally figure this unit out? I'm way to old to be walkin around, getting groceries in this zoo.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:17 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Chevy Guy, relax, man.
No, it's not a Chevy (but if you buy something fairly new, it's about the same).
This car was designed for people that mainly pay a dealer to service and have the funds.
They were relatively expensive when new and sported advanced tech. They're great to drive but you have to pay for the ride, one way or another.
Don't be hesitant to ask a simple question, just tell what year and model (Please!) and your problem and what you have tried. There are some really knowledgeable folks on here that can help. Some may seem blunt but probably went through a lot of effort to solve a problem.
I hope you don't mind that I glanced at your profile and am guessing you're in Phoenix. There may be a British car group close that can give a hand or some pointers. These cars aren't 69 Camaros. They take some effort to maintain unless you're one of the lucky ones. I'm not, but I knew it wasn't an old John Deere cotton picker when I bought it!
Just maybe, while it's driveable, you might think about trading it. Parts WILL get more expensive and harder to find, problems a bit more difficult to fix. You may get peace of mind by punting on it.
Good Luck and chill!

Old 11-13-2022, 07:40 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Chevy Guy:
Your first new thread was on the X350 / X358 forum concerning your brake flush. Did you somehow, accidentally get over on this X100 forum to this top flush thread?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-17-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haven't a clue how to do this social thing.

Noted: Per requested, 2008 Jaguar XJ8L.
You seem easy to discuss with, thank you. Simple; Why does oil blow past PCV(?)and dump into intake? This can't be acceptable, looks like an accident ready to happen. I've heard that direct injected engines have this issue. I've installed a small K-motor catch can. Oil blows by it too. I don't have a location to install a larger unit, due to lack of area. Engine runs way to well to consider excessive blow-by. Also heard, this issue w/GM's LS engines. How do I resolve this defect?

Last edited by Chevy Guy; 11-19-2022 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Need to Direct to; T.Graves