XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible top issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default convertible top issues

Closing the top this afternoon, it began squeaking very loud and straining? I stopped with the switch, gave it a few seconds to rest and it continued to shut but with a lot of straining sounds. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

You are low on hydraulic fluid. Mine does exactly the same thing when it is low. You need to add fluid to the pump reservoir. Now finding out why you are low is another issue, but that straining, groaning, struggling noise will disappear if the reservoir and the lines are full.

The following users liked this post:
moonpetal38 (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

be careful moonpetal, the first time I heard groaning in my convertible top, i could not get it to close until the next day. Before you go 'topless' again, be sure you've found what really is the cause.

The system should not technically lose any fluid, and if it has, it needs to be going somewhere...that usually is at the latch above your head where she clamps down, or those two rams/pistons that push and pull the top open and closed. Now the latch, if you've read up on your FAQ threads, you'll remember as being the weak point in all of the 97-2003 convertible systems, and most of us have had to replace our lines to prevent, or in response to a busted hose at that latch. The second weak point is the ram/piston. They have seals, and over time (and with pressure surges) will fail and leak. That was the problem with mine....horrible groaning when trying to put the top up...I shudder just thinking about it.

moonpetal38 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Now your just plain scaring me. I guess hubby has another project. Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Hubby can't find any obvious leaks. He is noticing that the rubber covering around the hoses is flaking off. He notices that the lines are slippery therefore thinking that perhaps there is a bit of seepage. He topped off the fluids which were a little low, lowered and raised the top a couple of times, checked the fluids again, and again they went back down to the previous level, so he topped it off again. He did this once more, and the fluids went back down. Any advice? Thanks!!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Have a look on the ground under the car to see if any of the fluid is leaking there. Near the rear wheels.

Also, is there any evidence of fluid leaking from the headliner sort of near the rear view mirror. Any discoloration of the headliner there that looks like fluid? Any drips there?

Jack

moonpetal38 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM

No visible leaks anywhere. Not under the car or by the mirror. Also, he wants to know if we should be concerned about installing a pressure reduction valve. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Do not panic yet; check your fluid level first. This link to the hyd system may help. XK8/R Hydraulic System Evaluation

Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

You obviously have a leak. Since I think you would have hollered if it was pouring out of the upper console I suspect that one or both of your top raising rams has blown a seal. Look under the car in front of each rear tire for oil dampness. One other thought; Jaguar used for a short period of time a splice kit to save labor on hose replacement that had a bad habit of failing. The splice was made under the left hand fascia fuse panel so check the carpet in the driver foot well.

Looks like Hubby has a project.

I've got to go now and paint a window.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM

He's acting a little frustrated at this point. Guess I will leave him alone for a bit while he thinks things through. I love being topless tho. lol

Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Give him a break and when he comes back refreshed and mind cleared, good things will happen. Sometimes a new perspective is all it takes. How much of the back seat has he disassembled? Has he gotten to the rams so he can visually see them?

I thought I remembered someone saying fluid leaking from the ram ended up under the back seat (guess it follows the wheel well into the interior). Two bolts under the front lip and that bottom cushion should come right out.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM

We found fluid under the rear tire today. How can I get to the rams to look them over? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by moonpetal38
We found fluid under the rear tire today. How can I get to the rams to look them over? Thanks.
Remove the rear seat bottom:
-Pull off the vinyl stud caps at the lower front of the seat cushions
-Remove the two 10mm nuts at the lower front of the seat cushions
-Undo the two snaps over the rear center seat belt latch ‘gloves’
-Lift up the front of the seat cushion while carefully easing the center seatbelt latches through the leather ‘glove’ while pulling the bottom cushion free. Do this gently to avoid tearing the fabric.

Remove the rear seat back.
-Remove the two Phillips screws at each shoulder belt guide and let the shoulder belt glides drop in front of the rear cushion.
-Remove the two Phillips screws at the under-cushion brackets.
-Lift out the rear cushion.
-Be careful, the metal panel behind the seat back is sharp at the top edge and can cut you.

Remove the top rear quarter panel trim.
-Pop off the front seatbelt bracket cover
-Remove the large seatbelt bracket Torx bolt
-Remove the two phillps screws and tonneau cover bolt/fastener on the top rear quarter trim
-Slide trim forward and lift up and undo electrical connector (if any).

Remove rear speaker cover trim panel.
-Remove the black plastic headliner fastener
-Carefully pull out trim bottom from metal door threshold
-Slide trim forward to remove

You should be able to see enough at this point. To actually replace the rams, the rear speakers and the black 1/8 circle tubular stablizer bars also have to be removed.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
moonpetal38 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM

You are the best. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
You obviously have a leak. Since I think you would have hollered if it was pouring out of the upper console I suspect that one or both of your top raising rams has blown a seal. Look under the car in front of each rear tire for oil dampness. One other thought; Jaguar used for a short period of time a splice kit to save labor on hose replacement that had a bad habit of failing. The splice was made under the left hand fascia fuse panel so check the carpet in the driver foot well.

Looks like Hubby has a project.

I've got to go now and paint a window.
The splice kit mentioned here is where mine was leaking. My driver carpet was soaked with fluid that was seeping fromt the fitting. To check for a splice, open the driver door, look for the fuse panel cover. Pull the rubber door seal trim away from the car in this area, it isn't glued, just pull gently down off of the metal seam of the frame. If you have a splice it is behind the rubber in the same height of the fuse panel cover. It is jammed inthe space between the frame and the dash, and you will see the metal couplers. If you don't have a splice, you won't even see the black hydronic hoses, so it should be obvious if you do have the splice. If no splice, I recommend pulling the rear seat, not difficult, and see if the rams are leaking, again, with the seat out, it should be obvious if there are leaks.

moonpetal38 (02-04-2012)