XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default this forum

This is a great forum,I am a member of another forum but only got negative answers and ridicule.had a lot of help from this site..such as rev sam..whitexkr and others..keep up the good work..see my deliberate spelling mistake.

Last edited by dennisw; 10-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

In general I think we are a pretty cordial bunch here. I hate it when I go as a novice to a new forum and ask a question like "what things do I need to be concerned about before buying a (fill in the blank)" and get a bunch of nasty replies telling me to use the search feature. Sometimes you just want to cut to the chase and get a quick answer rather than spend hours reading through dozens posts from a search. In fact I think that was the way I started when I found this forum and was looking for some quick heads-up issues before deciding to buy a Jaguar. By and large the replies were pretty much helpful and encouraging and useful rather than "use search dummy".

Doug

Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Yeah... I hate it when people say "just use search". Search is helpful, but it defeats the purpose of a forum. I think I might have told this story before, but I joined a lawn grass forum a while back because I wanted to have a perfect lawn (like Frog's ). One of the veteran members was a total ***, and when anyone would ask a question, especially a newbie, he'd go off on them, screaming about how he spent so many years in school to learn how to maintain lawns and how he's not going to give away his hard-earned knowledge. The dude had thousands of posts, and most of them were similar to that. I have no idea why someone would join a forum if they don't want to share their knowledge. That's the point, right? Well... and to learn, also.

I'm a member here to learn from others, share what I've learned, and to just enjoy the camaraderie. That, and to keep Gus straight on things like dielectric grease and pressure reducing resistors. (I'm 1-1 right now )

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 10-12-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: It was a lawn grass forum, not a "law" grass.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My hat's off to you guys that have worked so hard to find out how to repair the nit picking little issues that some of these cars have.

You are truly good guys. I'm on a number of other forums (for my other toys), and not one can approach this one for quality advice while still showing class and good manners--at least for the most part.

I'm just sorry that you've had so many problems to fix with your cars.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

sophistication and maturity, you either have it when you bought your jaguar, or you gained it by osmosis after driving one. No matter how/when/why, it seems to be common traits among most of our members (not all, apparently maturity bumps can only raise only so far)

Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Yeah... I hate it when people say "just use search". Search is helpful, but it defeats the purpose of a forum. I think I might have told this story before, but I joined a lawn grass forum a while back because I wanted to have a perfect lawn (like Frog's )...
As I have said before, the ambiance on here is great - no pointless bickering or 'use the search' remarks. The search feature is often hit-and-miss on any forum and here we also have to allow for the differences between British and American English terminology and spelling (boot/trunk, bonnet/hood, tyre/tire, antenna/aerial, wheelarch/fender...). The list is endless.

As for my lawn, here is a gratuitous photo especially for Rev. I suppose I should do a how-to video, but it would be a little off-topic. Instead, I shall just share the golden rule with those interested: mow, mow and mow again. I do ours 3 times a week from late February to late November using a cylinder mower. Frequent mowing stimulates growth, while rolling the grass (with a cylinder mower) instead of sucking the roots up towards the surface (with a rotary) makes the grass so dense weeds can't grow. Then just feed once in March and once in October and you're there

Compared to maintaining a Jaguar, keeping a nice lawn is a piece of cake!

Apologies to the mods for a massively off-topic paragraph

Last edited by Frog; 10-13-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I'm drooling. What kind of grass is that? I'm sure it gets too hot here for whatever it is.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't know what type of grass it is, it was here when we bought the house 5 years ago. I have seen 'American' lawns in Chicago that had incredibly thick blades of grass giving a really dense lawn. I guess every region has its own variety. Here in north west Europe - the home of the 'fine British lawn' - we get lots of rain and not too much heat, so many people can enjoy golf-green lawns in their gardens.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I quite like the 'Search' feature.

Type out a question, hit 'Post', make a cuppa', return and read the replies from you guys; Life is good.

Thanks to everyone who makes this place 'Human'.

I think the Rev should not have edited his post, 'Law and Grass' as a forum dedicated to eradicating 'Weed' could have been interesting for Search Engines.

Nice looking lawn you have there, mine has been well and truly droughted.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

i cannot see the pics.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm one of those 'use the search button' people. While it's not bad here, on some forums the same question gets asked several times a week and if you're an active participant, it becomes tiresome when the same question is asked for the thousandth time.

As for being trolled, I'm used to it and enjoy the really harsh and intelligent trolls. lol

I don't troll here though. At least I try not to.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

A lot of us would be lost without this fourm.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
fixed my abs fault...sqeel on start up fault and will fix me headrest problem soon thanks to sam and others..also got paper work downloads ect ect..great

Old 10-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Great lawn. I envy you. I too like to have a good lawn. But this year in east Texas it has been very tough. Water, water, water.

EZDriver

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.3 KB

Dennis, thanks so much on behalf of all for the kind comments about our forum. Sorry to hear about your negative experience at another site, but we're glad to have you here with us.......

We are lucky to have so many friendly and knowledgable people here, great techs, good mods and a few thousand members all willing to share, learn and share some more.

Frog, that lawn is amazing, like a small 9 hole puting course, only in better condition!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been lucky! I belong to a few Camaro forums such as Nastyz28 and NJFBOA, and they are just as great as this forum! I joined a ford ranger forum to help me dad with some troubleshooting, and it was the typical "IDIOT USE A SEARCH" lets just say that particular forum was a 'one and done' deal. I can see myself owning a Muscle car, and a jaguar, until the day i die, so you forums are stuck with me haha.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts
Default good forums

I belonged to the SSR forum for a no of years before I got my 08 XKR vert
its also a very good forum very much like this one lots of good info and a great good bunch of guys & GIRLS, thought I had better put that in.lol

Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Spurlee, youre still lost. what state are you really in. illinois, Iowa, or Wisconsin, maybe Insanity like the rest of us

Old 10-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
+1