Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK & XJ Owners - Considering adding an XJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts
Default XK & XJ Owners - Considering adding an XJR

I was wondering how many people here drive XKs and XJs.

I was thinking of adding a first generation XJR for DD use; which daily driving means maybe 4 months a year of snow and occasional use in the summer. I already own the XKR Convertible and a Corvette Convertible for summer toys, as well as a BMW 740i for a 4 seater, so the XJ would be a car to replace the 740i.

I've really liked the experience of driving my XKR and think an XJR is worth a try. I know about the timing chain tensioners and guides, nikasil, water pump, thermostat housing and such that the V8 cars have.

So the question is:

After doing the timing components, WP and tstat housing, keeping fuel presentation tip top and generally maintaining the car(fluids right away and regular intervals after that), can it be a good replacement for what has been a tough as nails e38 BMW?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xjr choice

I had a 99 xjr (3 engines replaced by Jaguar, final one was w/ iron sleeves) Car was great in Chicago even with the salt. Of course I drove with trac off when in snow. Didn't have snow tires they would of course help. Looking back I don't think I would expose a Jag to that salt again ( I'm in Atlanta now) If you do get one get an 03 stay away from any engine that doesn't have iron cyclinder walls. I don't care what ANYBODY says. Plan on adding weight in the trunk for traction. Car ran stronger in cold weather also.
Best of luck.

Bob

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daily XJR / Weekender XKR

Funny you ask that question.... I picked up a nice '01 XJR. Got a very good $ deal on a one owner. I thought that there might be something wrong with it for the price I paid. Turned out I was wrong. Never misses a beat. Love the car, so much so that I went ahead and added a triple black '02 XKR to the stable this Labor Day. Another super sweet, one owner. Both were a steal for the money in my opinion. Neither Jaguar has any mechanical or consetic issues. I drive the XJR daily and venture out on week long business trips of 1,00 miles often. I could not be happier...the XJR continues to provide flawless service. Aside for the rear legroom, the XJR is a great daily car. Limited legroom aside, the XJR is a very worthy automobile. My vote is yes, but I already made that leap... These vehicles are elegant in their design and they are timeless. They are a pleasure to drive and own.

Ray

Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Nice to hear some experiences. BTW - How bad is the rear legroom? It can't be any worse than the XK...

I'm throwing it on the list of possible replacements for the BMW (giving the e38 Short Sport to my dad), it will be alongside the Mercedes w220 S500, BMW e38 750iL and Audi D2 S8 as one of the possibilities. In all honesty, it's the most likely because there seem to be a decent supply of them in West Michigan and decent V12 e38s, V8 w220s and D2 S8s are rare if non-existant for periods of time.

I'll say that every time I've driven a German brand Flagship, like a A8, S-Class or 7-Series that I've been very impressed with the driving experience; but the interiors are so cold and clinical. Plus I've had more trouble with the gadgets in those than the simple controls in the XKR. All I've had interior wise is the top half of the sport button popped off(a little superglue fixed that). On the BMW, I've had the MID, the Gauge Cluster and the Climate Control unit out to repair dead pixels and contact issues; I've also had to replace the window switch panel on two doors over time. Mechanically solid as nails, but the gadgets fudged up.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't comment on the XKR yet, although that is what I will be getting next. My XJR is a daily driver and like Rays01XJR I absolutely love it. I think it is the perfect blend of sport and luxury. Like protech suggests you should strongly consider an '03 if it is in your budget. Every issue was worked out on that model and other than the expensive CATS suspension there would be no real mechanical issues. The '99 has an issue with the MERC transmission that I just experienced which can be catastrophic but it was addressed in the 2000+ models.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '01 XJR ear leg room

Still laughing about the "leg room" comment of the XKR. I rather think of the rear seats as a place for the dog to sit and may be a bag of groceries...just may be.

I am a big guy, so the attached photo of the XJR might not represent a normal seat setting but you can see the rear legroom limitation. Not sure if the XJR comes in the long wells base verson. Might be an option.

Hope the attachement worked.

Happy hunting!

Ray

Attached Thumbnails XK & XJ Owners - Considering adding an XJR-dsc05542.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Brother and sister-in-law were indie Jag dealers for 10 years, and both recommended the XJR.

Traded my 02 XJR for the 02 XKR. Stayed with the same drivetrain, would have kept her but for garage space.

Everyone loved the XJR. Classy, fast, reliable. I drove the thing hard, never hiccuped.

Waterpump and/or thermostat failed at 90k. Fixed it myself, and did the belts and coolant too. Not hard.

Paid $10k, sold her for $8k to a dealer during the XKR purchase four years later. Got about the same fuel economy as my XKR.

Rear seat room was not excessive, and the center console (with AC vents) does extend into the middle rear legroom, so be advised. It is really a 4+1.

Last edited by mcbeefsteak; 10-14-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: length