Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front-rear window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts
Default front-rear window adjustment

My driver window needs to be adjusted, having spent a while looking at the adjustment threads I can see for to fix the "parallel to quarterlight" issue I have, but it also looks like the entire window needs to move backwards a few mm once it is parallel. Compare to my passenger window below.

Is there a way to do this?

Attached Thumbnails front-rear window adjustment-window%2520alignment.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I know that there are a number of adjustments for the front window (in-plane front-to back and tilt as well as out-of-plane inboard/outboard). I have also recently been told by a local Jaguar mechanic that an added complication is that the entire regulator assembly has a tendency to loosen over time (he demonstrated this on my car by grabbing the front glass with the door open and wiggling it front and back). Further complicating the alignment issue are the adjustments available for the quarter glass on the convertible. Not only do I have an air gap between the windows on the passenger side (right side for my US car) but I have recently discovered that the auto-drop on the passenger side does not quite work as intended because the rear of the window starts bearing against the front of the quarter window when the auto-drop starts.

These adjustments can be fairly complex. Moreover, getting to the adjustments for the quarter glass are a bear in that removal of the interior quarter panel is reportedly necessary.

The local Jaguar independent I recently visited to hear the noise from the front that I have been trying to chase down seemed exceptionally familiar with the various window adjustments so I will probably leave the car with him sometime in the near future to address the phantom noise as well as deal with the windows.

Doug

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.
I guess you are aware of the lengthy procedure in JTIS concerning window adjustment. There is also a TSB about window height adjustment. Is your quarterligt all the way up? It can be hard to decide if it is the quarterlight or window glass that need adjustment. I am not aware of an adjustment fore/aft of the whole window. After adjustment my windows are wind and watertight, but as yours, they are looking a little bit different.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-52[1] Glass Height.pdf (74.5 KB, 335 views)
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

You can adjust the quarter window. I just did this to close the gap at top where driver window and quarter window meet.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...00/#post406476

Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevepaa
You can adjust the quarter window. I just did this to close the gap at top where driver window and quarter window meet.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...00/#post406476

Steve--did you need to remove all of the interior rear trim to get to the quarter window adjustments? I believe there are really just 2 adjusting screws and it looked to me that at least the upper one MIGHT be accessible by just removing the top cap trim piece rather than tearing apart all or most of the interior.

Doug

Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I took it all out, so I could loosen both screws slightly and then play with movement to get it right. The hardest part is getting the seat belt mechanisms thru the seat pouch tube of vinyl. I tore mine and will have to get it repaired.

I could never find that third lower screw either.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had a go at the adjustment today, the window now looks ok, but I was surprised how loose the glass was after all the nuts and bolts were done up. Checked the passenger door too, it was the same. Anyone else seen this?

Attached Thumbnails front-rear window adjustment-windows.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had a go at the adjustment today, the window now looks ok, but I was surprised how loose the glass was after all the nuts and bolts were done up. Checked the passenger door too, it was the same. Anyone else seen this?

What procedure did you end up going with (details?). Did you do only the front or the rear also.

Doug

Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well first I checked the height of both windows and saw that the one I was to work on was not sitting as high as the other door so I decided to try to raise this a couple of mm. I released the torx bolt first only to find it was already at the end of its travel, so I pushed back as far as it would go and retightened it.

Next I released the nyloc nut and set the angle by manhandling the glass and trial and error.

To my surprise once everything was tightened up there was still a fair bit of movement in the glass. I checked on my other two cars to see what they were like and on both the glass was rock solid. I will be interested to hear if this is an issue with all cars or just mine and Doug's.

I'll make a video of the loose glass and post it up but it will take a few weeks as I'm off snowboarding next weekend and the weekend after.