XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front window stuck up after alarm turned on

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front window stuck up after alarm turned on

This is an odd one and I'm posting a new thread because I don't see anything like this.

My 2005 XKR convertible has been under a car cover for about a month. I've had a good battery tender connected the whole time.

This morning the alarm went off so I had to disarm it using the fob. When I tried to rearm the alarm just kept going off so I knew something wasn't quite right.

I went ahead and uncovered it and my wife and I went to the store. On the way, I noticed there was a lot of wind noise coming from her side. When she got out she couldn't shut the door so I went around and noticed the window was all the way up and out of the grove it should be in on the front of the door.

I tried to lower it with the switch but it won't budge. At one point I heard some noise in the door so I push the window button up and down and it stopped.

I figured maybe lowering the top would help but it really didn't and now of course the top won't go back up because the window won't go down.

Does this sound easy or does anyone have good ideas? I don't really like to work on it so will probably have to take it in if it's not simple.

Thanks for anything.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Don, window wont close. Does it look cockeyed at all? If yes, a nut that maintains the horizontal position of the window mechanism has loosened. DO NOT FORCE IT.

If no, perhaps something fell into window regulator channel inside door? ( happened to me once).

Give us some feedback on those please. Does the car tthink the door is closed so window doesn't drop?

Have you tried hard reset?

Sorry if questions seem curt, very rushed Don.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 06-15-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Don, say more about top wont go up. Mine goes up with windows up or down, doors open or shut.

Can you use door key to do global open or close?

Don, try a hard reset. Disconnect the positive cable from battery. Touch it to negative terminal for 20 seconds. Reconnect positive cable.

Start car. Put roof up, Reset windows travel.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default How handy are you in diagnosing the window problem?

Don,

Sorry to hear about your window troubles. Your car has been in storage and bringing these X100s back to life always seem to have electrical gremlins. Diagnosing the cause of the problem will involve a bit of handy work if you’re up to it.

Doing the suggest hard reset is a good place to start. If that doesn’t work then consider the following.

Q: Is the window stuck in the fully up position only?

Q: when you stored the car, were the windows closed in good sealed positions against the top hood/ windscreen seals.

Q: You mentioned a window motor noise that stopped when you hit the window switch. Does the window switch lower and/or raise the window at all?

Q: when you dropped the convertible hood, did you hear the window regulator motor at all for the door window? The door window is suppose to drop an inch to allow the top to clear it.

There’s a whole number of possible causes and I would check fuses and relays. Next I would check the window adjustment screws and the guide rails which means taking the door card off. Are you happy to do these?

The next step will be to check the window’s microswitches and then the actual window motor regulator.

I know these initial checks may sound daunting but they are very home DIY-able. Beyond these simple checks will be bad wiring and bad control modules.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:30 PM

I'll check the window when it's light out tomorrow but it seemed normal just looking.

The window won't move either way.

I did not know about the hard reset. I will try that in the morning also.

Any thoughts on the noise I mentioned coming from the door? It was only for a second or two but sounded weird.

Hoping the hard reset does it.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:34 PM

David,

My car hasn't been in storage. I just put the cover on it after getting it washed about a month ago and today when the alarm went off I figured it was telling me to take it out.

I did not hear anything when I dropped the roof but I was in a crowded parking lot so it would have been difficult.

Thanks to everyone making suggestions. I will check the level of the window and do a hard reset in the morning. Hopefully one or the other is the issue.

Don

Old 06-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Back when my wife's 2006 XK8 was having intermittent issues with the drivers door latch assembly, the car's alarm went off a couple of times while it was just sitting in the driveway with no one near it. I remember having to fool with the key fob to shut the alarm off, and I also remember that one time when this happened I could not keep the car locked because when I would lock it, the alarm would immediately go off again. Fooling with the key fob finally stopped that issue. Since Wayne (cjd777) and I finally replaced the door latch assembly microswitches back in early April, no more issues have occurred....

Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Hard reset didn't do anything. The window looks fine as far as I can tell.

I looked for the fuse but it's unclear which one actually controls it. It looks like it might be the 25 Amp on the passenger fascia but I can't really tell.

I did notice the passenger door doesn't lock or unlock anymore. Not sure if that just points to the fuse again?

I was able to get the top up manually but the rear windows are still down. Pushing the top's button doesn't do anything. In fact it seems it won't even open the top anymore but perhaps that just needs a reset.

Looks like I'm going to take it in for the local Jag guy.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

FWIW I'd check these fuses.

See BPM fuse. See passenger door control fuse.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Here's passenger door control fuse...

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM

Thanks Johnken. The 25 amp Passenger Foor Control Module fuse is the one I checked.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Default Are you comfortable jumping relay to raise rear quarter windows?

In the trunk there’s small relays, in the fuse box, that control the up/down of the quarter windows.

If you’re up to it, they can be jumped to raise the quarter windows. Won’t fix the door window problem, but will get you put out of a jam.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 AM

Thanks David. Are there instructions anywhere that tell how to do it?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Default You tube has a video for relays

Check this youtube video out

Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Cool! Thanks much!

Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 PM

I took this in to our local Jag expert (Steve's Jaguar in Canoga Park) and he's had it for several weeks.

He said it's a window module and he can't find one. I should probably ask him for the part number so I can help look but for now that's where it is.