XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Box Locked UP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Gear Box Locked UP?

Vehicle shifts and runs great, get in the car some times and turn key with no start up? Nothing. Trac Control message and Gear box locked up message come up on instrument panel. I unscrew the J Gate screw and insert key and push it down and shift lever to neutral, remove key and then reinsert key, turn key on and the car starts right up and drives fine. Maybe low trans fluid? Ignition switch going bad? Gas cap needs to be replaced? Car has brand new battery installed. Need to check alternator voltage and confirm alternator out put is up to par?

2002 XK8, 4.0 5 speed, coupe. Runs like a champ. A30302

Thanks,

ER

Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would check/replace the brake switch. You can do some testing. When you press the brake pedal, in a quiet environment, you should hear the switches clicking on the brake pedal. It is like a tinny metal blade noise. With the engine off, and ignition on, as you press the brake pedal, you should hear (and feel) the shifter solenoid operate on the driver side of the shift bezel (kind of light thump). If none of that is happening, the brake switch is suspect (VERY common problem). Sometimes, it is possible to bring a bit of life back into the switch by gently pressing/releasing the brake pedal a bunch of times. Or not, depending on how far gone the switches are. It is likely temperature dependent, too. In my experience, these switches do not fail outright, but become erratic instead. This makes it hard to do a simple meter tests as the switch is awkward (is it the right word here?) to remove/put back in place.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
jaguar51 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 AM
Wink Brake switch test completed

Per your instructions, the brake switch is working fine, I can here the solenoid activate every time I press the brake pedal, pressed it 6 X's each time solenoid activated with audio noise. J Gate switches need a clean out or rotary selector switch needs to be replaced or shift cable adjustment next? I know how to perform all of the above. I'll pull the transmission fuses, clean and clean them first and see if engine starting issue continues? I'm well aware the the brake switch replacement fix is a PITA, two person job makes it easier and quicker.

Thanks,

ER

Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

So, you can hear/feel the solenoid in the shift bezel activate every time AND the gear shift is still locked in P?

Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 AM

No, the gear shift moves freely through all gears. Every so often I go too start the car even after driving it and it sits for just an hour and I get in the car turn the key and nothing, no start no noise. I remove the screw tab in the J Gate depress the button down, then shift to neutral, remove the key, insert the key, turn the key and the engines starts and vehicle drives, shifts great. Above action done according to manual and it does the trick, the J Gate switches or rotary J Gate switch may be going south or need cleaning, just removed and reinserted TCM fuse and ECM fuse, all is fine. Engine running now. Going out for drive check now.

Thanks,

ER.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Still sounds like that erratic/random brake switch to me, then. Next time it does not start, check for the solenoid noise, and try to "fix" it by repeatedly pressing the brake pedal. Even a failed brake switch works most of the time...

Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Does this trans have the 2 bolts that secure the shift cable to its side (under car)?

If so, they can work loose / fall out.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Red face Shift Bolts

I jacked up the vehicle earlier and visually inspected those bolts and it all looked tight to the tranny case while the cable sheath looked perfect.

ER.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Default Brake switch test completed

Originally Posted by fmertz
Still sounds like that erratic/random brake switch to me, then. Next time it does not start, check for the solenoid noise, and try to "fix" it by repeatedly pressing the brake pedal. Even a failed brake switch works most of the time...
Got back from the drive shut the car off and restarted the car and all is well.

ER.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

It may be the linear safety switch mounted to the side of the shifter. You can open the housing and move this around to see if you can reproduce/solve the problem. These are known to fail. The not in park microswitch can also fail. It is also mounted on the shifter and when the shifter is in park, it hits the switch arm. If this switch is sticking, when you pull the shifter out of park, the tranny thinks its still in park. This switch is part of an assembly, to get it you buy the whole unit. A temp fix for this is to rattle shifter in and out of park a few times to free the switch, but it will eventually fail.

The following users liked this post:
jaguar51 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

I had a similar problem. In my case, I adjusted the shift linkage under the center console so it registered as being in park. Simple fix and no problems since then.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by oldmots
It may be the linear safety switch mounted to the side of the shifter. You can open the housing and move this around to see if you can reproduce/solve the problem. These are known to fail. The not in park microswitch can also fail. It is also mounted on the shifter and when the shifter is in park, it hits the switch arm. If this switch is sticking, when you pull the shifter out of park, the tranny thinks its still in park. This switch is part of an assembly, to get it you buy the whole unit. A temp fix for this is to rattle shifter in and out of park a few times to free the switch, but it will eventually fail.
Your info is terrific. I took the JGate out yesterday and pressure tapped with my finger all the 3 switches, that one switch top right side ("not the front switch with the roller, not , the right front only" Finger pressed that top switch on it's activation lever and didn't seem to "click" kept tapping and it started to click. Front right switch activation lever I bent back out very slightly,(thinking it lost tension and needed a tickle bent out so the shift lever would activate it) very stiff little lever, bend slightly so not to fracture off/ or break off/ if it breaks off your a cooked goose.
Disconnected the two right side connectors and sprayed with electric contact cleaner. To get to the left side connector and spray requires removing entire console, which is easy to remove the console, see youtube the Reverend guy he shows how really easy it is to do to remove the console. I chose too see what the result was after I performI had to go to Randy's, He's got the Taurus for $525.00, good buy. He's says they're tough to find in stock from his dealers, so good luck on that. China trade war is driving the market down, give 3 years to realize the consequence of Trumps decision on trade and NAFTA, I say if Trump gets re-elected it's because his iniatives/actions were correct. U.S. will re-elect Trump if his actions are correct. Trouble is electronic voting is all rigged and Trump will be out (even though he made America Great Again) because major corporations control the whole voting system and world economic's. We need to relocate to a better warmer climate, summers are too short here and we'er not getting any younger. March gun sales broke another record, while that Hogg imbecile will end up a bigger imbecile then he already is... He just doesn't know it yet.

---- cmikesell@wi.rr.com wrote:
Getting ready for the interview now. The problem at Lowes is the same manager interviews all customer service associate. This is a different position as it is seasonal up to 120 days working in out side garden.
I have the scope, rings, snap caps and bipod. Still waiting for the 10 round mag from POF. I looked at their website last night and when you look at the 10 round mag it state a 2 week delay before shipping. Today will be 5 weeks and was told it would come this week. Talk with you later. C
---- "E(=)R" <canyoncreek@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> Deerfield should be taken to supreme court and decked. Those kids are in a illogical mind set and now being programmed by the system to turn against guns (mind control), using kids now as political weapons for pushing chosen agendas by Soro's Bloomberg and the Dems. Don't apply for the same exact position, you have better chance applying for a different one at Lowes. Check out Pleasant Prairie Outlet Mall retail shops, they are hiring now like crazy. You won't regret getting the Taurus, get that .22 Mag ammo deal now that I sent you, they will run out of inventory probably by afternoon today. I am picking up your B-Day gift today and need to hang the painting so if you are feeling better today I can come over but you have to call me and tell me when? Did you take delivery on the scope and rings?
>
> E.
> ed the action I took above. No engine starting problem now. I agree with you that one of those switches is going south. I need to know what electric tester to use in order to detect the "out bad switch" when it happens again? Just a circuit tester pinched into hot wire and other to ground or use a multimeter? It's just a switch so why wound't a circuit tester and pinch the hot wire and other meter cable to ground while tapping on the switch for continuity? I don't have to disconnect the negative battery cable off to test that, do I?

Old 04-06-2018, 03:50 PM

That last political comment was unintentionally copied and sent. It was only intended to be sent too another guy I know some where else, sorry if it upset anyone. Not my style to put political stuff on this site, only Jags, yah dig....

ER

Old 04-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Wink Sprayed switch and switch contact levers.

I failed to mention I sprayed/cleaned all the switches in the JGATE with electric contact cleaner berfore reassembly of J Gate. The big shifter springs looked good, sprayed silicon on the right side bar switch assembly and a touch on the solenoid brake push roYour info is terrific. I took the JGate out yesterday and pressure tapped with my finger all the 3 switches, that one switch top right side ("not the front switch with the roller, not , the right front only" Finger pressed that top switch on it's activation lever and didn't seem to "click" kept tapping and it started to click. Front right switch activation lever I bent back out very slightly,(thinking it lost tension and needed a tickle bent out so the shift lever would activate it) very stiff little lever, bend slightly so not to fracture off/ or break off/ if it breaks off your a cooked goose.
Disconnected the two right side connectors and sprayed with electric contact cleaner. To get to the left side connector and spray requires removing entire console, which is easy to remove the console, see youtube the Reverend guy he shows how really easy it is to do to remove the console. I chose too see what the result was after I performI had to go to Randy's, He's got the Taurus for $525.00, good buy. He's says they're tough to find in stock from his dealers, so good luck on that. China trade war is driving the market down, give 3 years to realize the consequence of Trumps decision on trade and NAFTA, I say if Trump gets re-elected it's because his iniatives/actions were correct. U.S. will re-elect Trump if his actions are correct. Trouble is electronic voting is all rigged and Trump will be out (even though he made America Great Again) because major corporations control the whole voting system and world economic's. We need to relocate to a better warmer climate, summers are too short here and we'er not getting any younger. March gun sales broke another record, while that Hogg imbecile will end up a bigger imbecile then he already is... He just doesn't know it yet.

---- cmikesell@wi.rr.com wrote:
Getting ready for the interview now. The problem at Lowes is the same manager interviews all customer service associate. This is a different position as it is seasonal up to 120 days working in out side garden.
I have the scope, rings, snap caps and bipod. Still waiting for the 10 round mag from POF. I looked at their website last night and when you look at the 10 round mag it state a 2 week delay before shipping. Today will be 5 weeks and was told it would come this week. Talk with you later. C
---- "E(=)R" <canyoncreek@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> Deerfield should be taken to supreme court and decked. Those kids are in a illogical mind set and now being programmed by the system to turn against guns (mind control), using kids now as political weapons for pushing chosen agendas by Soro's Bloomberg and the Dems. Don't apply for the same exact position, you have better chance applying for a different one at Lowes. Check out Pleasant Prairie Outlet Mall retail shops, they are hiring now like crazy. You won't regret getting the Taurus, get that .22 Mag ammo deal now that I sent you, they will run out of inventory probably by afternoon today. I am picking up your B-Day gift today and need to hang the painting so if you are feeling better today I can come over but you have to call me and tell me when? Did you take delivery on the scope and rings?
>
> E.
> ed the action I took above. No engine starting problem now. I agree with you that one of those switches is going south. I need to know what electric tester to use in order to detect the "out bad switch" when it happens again? Just a circuit tester pinched into hot wire and other to ground or use a multimeter? It's just a switch so why wound't a circuit tester and pinch the hot wire and other meter cable to ground while tapping on the switch for continuity? I don't have to disconnect the negative battery cable off to test that, do I? d. All is good for now and engine always starts easily.

ER.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:18 PM

This another thing I want to mention: The "right rear switch lever" located down in the JGATE was only half the length of the switch above it, and I'm thinkin have the lever busted off? I looked everywhere for a flange of that metal too see if I can locate it (no deal), saw nothing. Is half that lever gone and I don't know it? I spray cleaned everything and pushed six times on that top right switch below the JGATE switch and it see to finally start clicking while I suddenly got an audible chime from the steering wheel coloum speaker after the 3rd press. I had the key while doing this.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 AM
Wink Not in park micro switch location?

Which micro switch is the "Not in park switch"? What is it's location within the J Gate?

Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Question Vehicle Jgate locked in park.

A few days ago you could here the J-Gate solenoid clicking when activating the brake pedal and all was fine, now the shifter is jammed in park after I replaced the PNP front micro switch with the roller cam on the lever, I also replaced the rear micro switch because it nolonger clicked with finger contact, replace it with a used "door ajar switch", I soldered connected it black to black wire and green to blue wire, hope that's the correct polarity? Now I'm stuck in park forced to manually disengage from part using the manual screw hole removal method and once out of park the car runs great. I was getting "transmission locked and reduce performance lit up on instrument pane but not anymore. My code reader is cheap and won't tell me a thing except P1000 and we all know what that means. Vehicle has brand new battery. Brake lights work perfectly. The car again did today light up the instrument panel upon turning ignition key but nothing, not a sound. Is there a relay for the J-Gate Solenoid I'm missing? I checked the critical fuses and none are burnt out. Even though the brake lights work that J-Gate solenoid is either dead or the brake switch has failed. Can't I not remove the brake switch (I know it's a PITA) and disassemble it clean the contacts and revive it? What now if not that. Also, the memory seat buttons went goofy and suddenly the rear defog screen button didn't activate, but now they are working. I now have the "new battery" charging on a CETEK 5.0 battery conditioner, we'll see what that brings? This is all pointing to the brake switch and/or J-Gate solenoid or wrong micro switch and reverse wiring of it even though I connected that rear switch black ground to black ground. Funny thing though: I notice when the vehicle would not turn over but all instrument lights would light up and I went to the trunk/boot to get something, slammed it shut and after that the car started right up, this was before the shifter got jammed stuck. Something may be up with that boot fuse box and I did replace the ignition relay in that box just the other day to see if the non-start condition would stop, nope. Pounded on the starter too, tranny rotary switch is tight and I also tapped on the tranny electrical plug in hopes of gaining additional continuity. To remove that plug and clean it you have to take the exhaust down. There's a specific method to adjust the shifter cable using the rotary switch, just moving the shifter cable forward or aft in the J-Gate puts me at concern and I don't want to go there unless I follow exact method, I just can't reach that rotary switch to engage the correct method (one click all the way back, two clicks forward) while the shifter is in "neutral". So start with cleaning the brake switch?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Brake switch cannot really be "cleaned", but it can be repaired cheaply. Read down this thread for parts:

xk8-brake-light-switch-repair-guide-171218

Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 AM

My seat/steer wheel memory won't function correctly. This may be a "Body Processor Module" issue that needs reprogramming or replaced and reprogrammed by Jaguar. Jaguar systems, many of them are proprietary, as you probably already know, this is going to cost me alot. I need the diff pinion seal and fluid changed anyways and they have to drop the whole lower rear end to get to the drain screw. $$$$
Appreciate your input and from all the other guys and gals out there, thanks very much!

E.R.