Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting there

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Getting there

So far so good. My project is coming along. I upholstered the seats, got the matching cover for the roof, and added snaps to the front of the cover, so I could snap it to the back of the back seat, and the wind won't get under it. The wrinkles will come out of the seats, once the temp warms up, and a few fat people sit in them. Please don't comment on the console cover. I will get another one later on, when I can afford one....

I skinned the outer inch on the top of the front brake calipers, and added 1.25" spacers to all 4 wheels, so they give the car a more aggressive look, and removed the bumper guards.

I replaced the valve body in the trans, with a rebuilt one from RevTech. I will rebuild the trans next winter, and replace the front pump, and drum while I am at it. It is good enough for this summer. No banging, but a little slippage at the lower rpms. I also replaced the upper chain tensioners in the engine.

The yard I deal with is installing a used windshield for $275, and I'm getting the rear bumper resprayed in a couple of weeks. The center grill badge, coming from an actual XKE, should be here any day.

Thank God Jaguar likes to put good heaters in their cars, because I have been driving around top down, and windows down with the temps in the mid to lower 50s F. So far I have got about $4800 in her, including the initial investment of the car itself, and the rest is pretty much ebay, and craigslist. She is looking similar to my old XKE, except the wipers actually park in the down position, and there is a trunk that has room for more than just the spare tire......I'm loving life

Attached Thumbnails Getting there-dscn0217.jpg   Getting there-dscn0220.jpg   Getting there-dscn0221.jpg   Getting there-dscn0222.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
oyster (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Nice job, you took a Junker and made something special out of it. Do the wire wheels ride OK? That is something you don't see on many of these.

Wayne

Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Absolutely love the wires, wish I could have afforded them.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

I think you may have got the whole car for what it would cost for the wheels. Lucky you!

Wayne

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

I got the Dayton wire wheels for $550 on ebay, and a trip to the middle of nowhere. They came with new Goodyear Eagles mounted on them. I chose the 16" wheels over 17", because with a taller tire, the circumference is the same, and it looks more vintage, even though the width of the tire is the same. I measured the front calipers, but was a little off, so I had to take about a quarter of an inch off the top of them, so there would not be any wheel interference. They drive well, but you get a bit of a vibration around 75mph. I am hoping this will go away, with a little more driving, but my XKE had a similar issue.

The transmission is the major issue on the car. If anyone has a bad 5HP24A that they would like to donate, in the Chicago area, I could get started rebuilding it as time and money become available. Then I would just need to swap the transmission out, when the time comes.

Being on disability sucks, except for the time to play in the garage. It's amazing what a little old serious brain injury and shattered heel will do to the rest of your life.

I resealed the convertible top with a product that was recommended on the forum called RaggTopps. So far so good. The embroidered front leather seats were a bear to do. I got them and the boot cover for $450 off of ebay, and was the only bid. I guess it helps that my interior color seems so different. I have recovered seats in Dodge Challengers, MGs, a Pontiac Lemans, and a few in kids cars who came to visit me, so I can pass on my knowledge to them. The bottoms were a snap, but the backs required around 20 wooden wedges, clips, and some leather glue, as well as an overnight stay in front of the garage furnace blowing on them.

The biggest problem I have found on this car is that all the fluids are worn out, low, and the car isn't made to be worked on. I cheated on the rear differential, and cut a 2" hole through the trunk, in order to fill it. I left a part of the hole attached, and folded it back down, when I was done. I normally would have welded it, but with it's proximity to the fuel tank, that was not an option. I sealed it with epoxy paint, covered with this stuff called volcano steel, followed by some body filler and paint, so I wouldn't appear as such a hack. You can't even tell the difference now.

Now my issue is to put some serious miles on it, so I go through all the cycles for emission testing. I bought a temporary plate, so I have another month to drive it, for the test. Sorry I am so long winded, but as I said, disability sucks and there is not much else to do, other than the internet and playing with my toys.......Be cool.....Mike

Old 04-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I got the Dayton wire wheels for $550 on ebay, and a trip to the middle of nowhere. They came with new Goodyear Eagles mounted on them. I chose the 16" wheels over 17", because with a taller tire, the circumference is the same, and it looks more vintage, even though the width of the tire is the same. I measured the front calipers, but was a little off, so I had to take about a quarter of an inch off the top of them, so there would not be any wheel interference. They drive well, but you get a bit of a vibration around 75mph. I am hoping this will go away, with a little more driving, but my XKE had a similar issue.

The transmission is the major issue on the car. If anyone has a bad 5HP24A that they would like to donate, in the Chicago area, I could get started rebuilding it as time and money become available. Then I would just need to swap the transmission out, when the time comes.

Being on disability sucks, except for the time to play in the garage. It's amazing what a little old serious brain injury and shattered heel will do to the rest of your life.

I resealed the convertible top with a product that was recommended on the forum called RaggTopps. So far so good. The embroidered front leather seats were a bear to do. I got them and the boot cover for $450 off of ebay, and was the only bid. I guess it helps that my interior color seems so different. I have recovered seats in Dodge Challengers, MGs, a Pontiac Lemans, and a few in kids cars who came to visit me, so I can pass on my knowledge to them. The bottoms were a snap, but the backs required around 20 wooden wedges, clips, and some leather glue, as well as an overnight stay in front of the garage furnace blowing on them.

The biggest problem I have found on this car is that all the fluids are worn out, low, and the car isn't made to be worked on. I cheated on the rear differential, and cut a 2" hole through the trunk, in order to fill it. I left a part of the hole attached, and folded it back down, when I was done. I normally would have welded it, but with it's proximity to the fuel tank, that was not an option. I sealed it with epoxy paint, covered with this stuff called volcano steel, followed by some body filler and paint, so I wouldn't appear as such a hack. You can't even tell the difference now.

Now my issue is to put some serious miles on it, so I go through all the cycles for emission testing. I bought a temporary plate, so I have another month to drive it, for the test. Sorry I am so long winded, but as I said, disability sucks and there is not much else to do, other than the internet and playing with my toys.......Be cool.....Mike
It looks great, and that's what the car hobby is supposed to be about. It sure beats daytime TV! I am retired and anytime I catch up on the "honey do's", I get on my toys also. Just keep hammering!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Mike - looks great, especially the wire wheels - definitely eye catching. Did the seat backs come with the Leaper embroidered or did you send them off?

If sent out - where and how much as I have been considering something similar when I get the new seat covers.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

The Leaper emblems came on the boot and seat backs.....I think they look nice on a green car

Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Nice work Mike.. Having someone with the know how keeping the XKs out there is a plus for all of us. I'm sure your next event of putting miles on will be very rewarding.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Mike,
I have been admiring your XK from previous threads,especially the wire wheels. I understands it came to a sad end. Did you have any problem with the wheels? I am considering adding wires to an XK later, but most who have had them on earlier cars do not seem to think they are a good idea.
PM me if you would like. Might not need to get a thread started to include the forum on this unnecessarily.
Sam.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:38 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Mike,
I have been admiring your XK from previous threads,especially the wire wheels. ......
Sam,

It's six months since Mike was last on the forum. ( 05-17-2018 ). A PM could be a better way of making contact.

Graham