XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good info on AutoEnginuity and my crazy air bag light LONG READ!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Good info on AutoEnginuity and my crazy air bag light LONG READ!

Ok,

So i have been trying for a long time to fix my airbag light. Well i purchased the AutoEnginuity scanner for the purpose of scanning the srs module so i can figure out whats up. Well. When i got it and the scanner would not scan the module. When i called AutoEnginuity they said there was something up with the car not there system. Well i spent a long time thinking about it and trying to figure it out. The other day i was staring at the electrical diagram for my jag off the jtis cd. And i noticed that i was looking at the 2001. Well i switched to the right diagram and noticed that the srs is wired different. so then i looked at 1997 to 2000. They are wired the same and 2001 on is different. Whats different? well its the layout of the pins on the diagnostic port. 97 to 00 is on pin 3. 01 and up is integrated to pin 7 with other systems.

The AutoEnginuity scanner does not have a pin 3. so i emailed AutoEnginuity and told them and they didn't at first believe me, i got the same answer as last time. So i responded with the electrical diagrams. The engineer Jay told me he would look into it. So the next day i got a email back saying that i was right and it would not work on my car. BUT there is a adapter used for the Porsche's that will bridge pin 3 to pin 7 and allow a scan. They sent me one.

Well i scanned the car today and found that the pile of seat/door module errors were gone because the system was looking for the airbag module in line with the other systems on pin 7 it was giving false reads. now i only got one error. And that was the air bag code B1869. Which is a open circuit for the airbag light.

So i checked for continuity on the mil line. i unplugged the battery "waited 15min", srs module, instrument pack, and pretension control module. There is good continuity between them all. Then as i was getting out of the car and i tapped the test lead by accident, it fell and hit the to the ignition switch. Well it got continuity from the to the ignition switch to airbag module plug. I am a bit confused, that should not be grounded in a way to get continuity on the harness to the ignition switch. At least i think

Any one got any ideas?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Very interesting on the scanner pin availabililty, but nice to know they have a fix for it, and should start making sure that everyone knows the limitation or start shipping adpaters to everyone. Now, for your electrical problem, i'm at a loss. Electricity and the laws of such is my weak area, as my brain is already full to capacity of other useless knowledge.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not making sense when I read that last paragraph. Can you restate the information?

It isn't clear to me when you say "fix my airbag light" whether it is on, or as the code suggests, not working at all.

As for the AE, I was thinking about buying the setup when I first read about it, and read the same reports about bogus codes several times. That's pretty amazing that in like two years the fault was never rectified, and disbelieved when you pointed it out to them. They owe you swag, nice work.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Default issue

the light is on.

if i remove fuse #4 10amp fuse for air bag system i get a tone from the srs module.
if i unplug one of the impact sensors i get tone from the module.
i can reset "can now any way" the error codes from the module using the AE system.
i can unplug everything and test continuity between all of the modules plugs and i get good continuity. if i test from any of the 3 plugs to the key hole of the ignition switch i get continuity.

according to the manual there is only three plugs on that line with the splice. why is it grounding? and were the hell is that splice located? and also could it be the pensioner control module which has no diagnostics?

At this point i am bound and determined to fix this damn thing without paying the jag dealer a ton o cash!. any help from my fellow jag enthusiasts is mega appreciated.

As far as the swag go's, he gave me the adapter for free. good enough for me

Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Excellent diagnostic work!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with JTO, I can't make any sense of it either. how can you have an open circuit code for the airbag light and still have the light on? Also if the airbag light were truly open circuit you would have warning tone all the time to warn you of the light not working. I suspect scanner fault not airbag light circuit.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Thank you for that, the '98 Xj8 I put on the road last month has the warning tones and no light: I haven't fixed it yet, but I pulled warning light and casette reel codes with WDS. So I assumed the light bulb simply burned out during the time the PO had been ignoring it, and it all seems to make sense to me. Unlike blackies' situation.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Red face light

according to the wiring diagram. the indicator light will have + voltage when the line is good. And the line should be - when the light is on. if the line is - and there is no reason for it then you should get the light on and a B1869 code. my question is why is the damn line - when there is good continuity on all the terminals on the line that should not be grounded out. For confirmation of this look at the diagram for control module terminal pin identification. diagram figure 18.1. look at connector FC29-5

So when the car is off, battery unplugged and the harness unplugged from the only things on the harness line, why the hell would i get a continuity to the ignition switch. the only answer i can come up with is some were on the diagnostic line from the three modules on that line there is a short to ground some ware in the car. and or the ignition switch is shorted to ground, which dosent make sense because the indicator line for the srs mill should not be grounded in any way to the frame or the ignition switch... am i rambling?? maybe i am... MORE VODKA!!!

Last edited by 2000blackxkr; 02-07-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you saying that when you have both the restraints module and the instrument pack unplugged the wire for the srs light is grounded? If so there must be a chafe in the harness somewhere. I hate to say it but it wouldn't be the first chafed wire I've seen in a jaguar. I would question how the lamp could light though if the wire were shorted to ground. I would think the srs module would shut down the output to the lamp to protect itself from the short.

Be careful when chasing wild geese, they fly north.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Cool airbag light

The airbag light is not a bulb but a led light.if that is the case,i think that the led is activated by the electronics board in the instrument pack. There fore its not the srs module turning it on, the instrument pack sees that there is a ground and the srs module does as well. Therefore its ether a chafed wire, or a bad module grounding it out.

As stated before there is 3 modules on that line,

instrument pack
Srs module
Pretensioner control module.

Does any one know how to check the Pretensioner control module? according to the manual there is no test done threw the diagnostic port. it says see workshop manual for diagnostic procedures.

I have been unable to find it. I am starting to think its a chafed wire as well.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this is relevant or not. But I have a couple of small dogs (under 10lbs). When they go in the car with me the AIRBAG light turns on, showing that the airbag is off.

When I am alone the light is off.

Perhaps the issue you have is with the sensors that check for small childred (or dogs) in the passenger seat and shuts the airbag off for safety...

Just a thought.

Dave

Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Default yea

dave, thank you for that,

But that option did not come untill 03 i think. my car is not equipped with the sensors in the seat for that.

good thinking tho.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM

I'm not throwing this in as a sidetrack, but there is a TSB 413-03 that discusses errant intrument pack warnings from a fault with the left IPK connector.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Default dont have that one

JagtechOhio, i don't have that tsb can you shoot it to me in a email?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Sorry, all my JTIS stuff in loaded into computers that are not online. I'll read through it again and post additional info if I have some, but I believe it was just pointing out possible connection faults at the left instrument pack connector, accessable with the veneer trim removed.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000blackxkr
Ok,

So i have been trying for a long time to fix my airbag light. Well i purchased the AutoEnginuity scanner for the purpose of scanning the srs module so i can figure out whats up. Well. When i got it and the scanner would not scan the module. When i called AutoEnginuity they said there was something up with the car not there system. Well i spent a long time thinking about it and trying to figure it out. The other day i was staring at the electrical diagram for my jag off the jtis cd. And i noticed that i was looking at the 2001. Well i switched to the right diagram and noticed that the srs is wired different. so then i looked at 1997 to 2000. They are wired the same and 2001 on is different. Whats different? well its the layout of the pins on the diagnostic port. 97 to 00 is on pin 3. 01 and up is integrated to pin 7 with other systems.
In just bought an Autoenginuity scanner, I can not actually get the device to establish a connection with the vehicle. Re-reading the post I'm trying to understand if you were able to establish a connection to the vehicle without the adaptor and were only having issues with the airing scan while the rest of the scanning functions worked normally (minus the bogus codes caused by crossed pins). Will be calling Autoenginuity tomorrow.

Thought I would check here first to see of anyone had any additional guidance or experience (I bought the proline version).

Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I've had my AE scanner for about 2 years, never a problem with making a connection. Now, the initial one, sometimes it fails, but a 2nd or third time, after a 30 second pause, it does connect. Its not as quick as plug in, wait 5 sec, and connection is made.

dneider, i'm not far away if you need some help nailing it down. PM me if you like.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 7,872 Likes on 4,759 Posts

I don't know if the 413-03 TSB was found and posted but here it is!!

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
413-03.pdf (31.1 KB, 302 views)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dneider
In just bought an Autoenginuity scanner, I can not actually get the device to establish a connection with the vehicle. Re-reading the post I'm trying to understand if you were able to establish a connection to the vehicle without the adaptor and were only having issues with the airing scan while the rest of the scanning functions worked normally (minus the bogus codes caused by crossed pins). Will be calling Autoenginuity tomorrow.

Thought I would check here first to see of anyone had any additional guidance or experience (I bought the proline version).
A call to Autoenginuity and some time on the phone with their tech support yielded this.
1. The Proline version of their scanner doesn't currently work for my Jag ('01 VDP S/C) for the basic ODB II functionality (what a generic code reader would retrieve). This is a known issue any they plan to release new software and have this fixed at the latest in November.
2. The Jaguar expansion pack that allows you to read additional sensors did work, however the software had to be put into a manual mode in order to talk with the additional (outside of OBDII) modules.
3. Autoeginuity tech support Manuel was quite good.
4. My ABS pump was failing (autoenginuity scanner verified this), currently finishing up the re-soldering job.