Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first wave today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Got my first wave today!

After 4 months of ownership (almost to the day), I received a honk and enthusiastic wave from a guy with an XK8 that looked very much like my car (Quartz with black convertible top). He honked and waved as he pulled up alongside me while on the freeway (almost no traffic) and I did the same.

These types of things put a smile on my face

Happy Holidays and hope for a better New Year!

Doug

Old 12-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Got my first wave today!

Congrats! I have owned my 2005 XKR, Zircon Blue coupe for a year know and have found that these cars test very well with just about everyone; having received compliments from kids, seniors, the ladies and even an occasional Corvette driver. These cars are well on the way to becoming a stand out classic and the current market providesthe best opportunity I have seen to ownoneat a bargain price.

Enjoy the road ahead.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Tim,

We met on Roadfly discussing the size of these cars. Deciding to get one of these cars at well BELOW my budget for new cars I was considering (e.g., BMW 3 series or Infiniti G Coupe) was an unexpected find. Considering what these went for new, they are a real bargain in the previously owned market. Better yet I do not see all that many of these in the SoCal area and I like that.

Doug

Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Doug

The same here in Florida. The XKR has it's relative exclusivity and depending on where you live they arequite rare. I live in Sebring, Fl (18,000 population), home of the famous 12hr race and my XKR coupe is the only one in town. That hasit's disadvantages as well. Even so when I cruise into one of the larger communities like Orlando seeing an XK8/R is still not common. Moreover, whenever the suject of what areyou driving comes up in a group and you say a Jag XKR the response is predictable and it is always positive. They are just great cars and I laugh silently when I hear or read about someone dishing out negative comments about them...usually from a non owner. Clearly, the post 2003 series enjoy a markedly higher level of quality and dependability but they all look great!

Watch those slow S waves and don't forget the after shocks.

Tim

Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, same thing around here. i rarely see allot of xkr's. there are a few xk8's i see around town. There is a Jag dealer in Portland and there are 3 dealers in Seattle. so there are some. But every day i drive my car i love it. But then i look at my bank statement from the repairs and payment and say "WOW if i didn't love that car i would burn it!"

If i could do it again i would get a newer one to avoid the issues, but its my jag and i love it.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Goldlion

Watch those slow S waves and don't forget the after shocks.

Tim
I see you know some seismology

Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, the only bummer experience I have to go through is when I tell someone I have a Jaguar or someone sees the car and one of the first things out of their mouth is a question like 'is it reliable' or 'do you have a lot of problems with it', etc. I then have to go through the litany of explanations as to how much more reliable these cars are compared with the old ones, yada yada yada! Here in the States the British cars have always suffered from their past legendary problems such as electrical system and that seems to have haunted the reputation even today.

Doug

Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wave from a guy? I get more ooh's and aaah's from women. That's when you really grin!