XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greetings jag folks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greetings jag folks!

I've been monitoring this forum for awhile now trying to gather up as much info as I can on these beautiful cars. I've been a German car guy for over 20 years and am currently active in the Porsche 996/986 communities. I've done a lot of searching for answers on this forum to try and help me with my decision process. I'll tell you guys where I'm at. I'm looking at a '99 xk8 w/34k mi. black on black for an asking price of $15,999 and I'm looking at a '02 xkr w/31k mi. black on black for an asking price of $22,998.. So my question, is the '02 xkr worth $7k more than the base model xk8? Both are the same color and have similar miles etc. I'm leaning towards the cheaper one (naturally) but the xkr is pretty sweet! Also, I'm totally confused on this subject of which years are ones to avoid vs. desirable years etc. Can someone clear that up?

thanks in advance!
sean

Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Sean,

I think this to be a relatively small, but helpful community. I would recommend an XKR to you. I know I'd miss the big power difference that the supercharger supplies if I had a regular car. All the other upgrades are nice as well.

You will get a lot of suggestions that you purchase a 2003 or newer (upgrade to 6-speed and 4.2 engine), but there was also a change in rear end that results in 0-60 times being marginally slower than the previous 5-speed iteration. Not a big deal for some people, but is a factor for others. I know there will be a healthy amount of disagreement on this, but I think the 2002 was best XKR due to the 1 generation bugs being worked out coupled with the faster ratio. Without regard, a low mile example is a nice find.

You'll be happy with a 4.0 or a 4.2 as long as the previous owner has maintained the car and there aren't any lingering issues to deal with. Keep shopping, because you may find prices dip as the weather turns bad. Good luck with you search!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by seanz4
I'm looking at a '99 xk8 w/34k mi. black on black for an asking price of $15,999 and I'm looking at a '02 xkr w/31k mi. black on black for an asking price of $22,998.. So my question, is the '02 xkr worth $7k more than the base model xk8?
sean
Yes!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. I do like the xkr better but it is quite a bit more $$. I have a Boxster S and I always advise people looking for a Boxster to get the "S". If anyone's interested, the car (the '02) can be seen at the Aristocrat Motors Jag dealer in Kansas City's website. (no affiliation)

Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I would go for the 'R' also, but I guess I am biased.

At that price I would hope to see a full service history.

Also some less obvious negotiating points, besides what you find an inspection (unless these were addressed in a service history):

-Timing tensioners are 2nd gen in a 2002 and should be replaced with 3rd gen metal tensioners to prevent catastrophic failure of the engine. ($600)
-Eight year old hydraulic hoses to convetible top latch are VERY prone to failure and should be replaced. ($1200)
-Take a close look at the inside of the A pillars and roof header for loose material (the foam disintegrates) Also see if the foam backing of the headliner is still 'puffy'. If not you would be in for a new headliner and recovering of A pillars and header. ($2000 oem, $1000 aftermarket).

The costs I show include my guess at the labor + parts.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I live in the mountains and the hilly/twisty roads around here provide my XK8 with more entertainment than I can stand. I don't believe an 'R' would help at all. You, on the other hand, live in the flatlands with straighter roads. The 'R' would be of some benefit there.

The '99 is going to have a Nikasil engine which is not a real problem anymore except for its bad reputation. The '02 may have metal tensioners if it was built after August '01. Check the label on the driver door jam for the build date.

I would choose the 'R' for no other reason than it is a 9 year old car verses a 12 year old '8'. Both are significantly overpriced based on my opinion only. Check Edmunds and KBB and see what they have to say.

Also check the FAQ sticky above for a post on 'I'm buying a . . . , what should I look for?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your insurance rates! Its a personal preference. Not much difference in gas mileage and you have the power if you want or need it. I don't need 400hp so opted for the XK8 also if you're looking at any extended warranty with those low miles (mine came with a 60k mile bumper to bumper) it can be a big difference.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I've researched all the stuff on the chain tensioners etc. It's a little scary. The M96 engined Porsches have their catastrophic engine failures too. Have you guys heard of the infamous intermediate shaft failure? Yikes! I wasn't sure if those prices were good deals or not. The xkr is at an actual jag dealer. the 8 is at a chevy dealer in Wichita. Both are black on black with under 35k mi.

sean

Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Drive each one, that's what sold me and many others on the "R" and I agree they both sound a little high priced.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 02 xkr

HI Sean,

I purchased an 02 xkr last year - florida car, xkr 100 so every available option with 45k miles for slightly more money than what you are seeing - LOVE IT!!! Best money spent. Watch for the things mentioned above and invest in a pressure relief valve (do a search on this forum fo rhow to do it|) for the top and everything should be fine!

Expect a few expenses to get it perfect but you are picking up a GREAT ride.

Kip

Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd go for the R. I had a '98 XK8 that I loved, but the R kept nagging at me in the back of my mind. Now I have an '05 R and it was definitely worth the upgrade.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kiphome
HI Sean,

I purchased an 02 xkr last year - florida car, xkr 100 so every available option with 45k miles for slightly more money than what you are seeing - LOVE IT!!! Best money spent. Watch for the things mentioned above and invest in a pressure relief valve (do a search on this forum fo rhow to do it|) for the top and everything should be fine!

Expect a few expenses to get it perfect but you are picking up a GREAT ride.

Kip
Ditto - CA car (XKR, not 100) - 35K miles, and best auto investment ($$$ for pleasure) I ever made. DaleD

Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Excellent post!!!! I am having the same issue with a 99 XK8 that is perfect, and a 05 R that is ok... I will check these areas when I get to see them in person. I was looking for this exact info, hopefully this will save me some repair money!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with Test point. Both examples are way overpriced. Use Ebay to get a feel for what these MYs are selling for; or, what people are paying for them. Another very good indicator is to use Texas Cars Direct.com. TCD has about the best prices on Jags with a good reputation for quality.

So if you're looking at a certain make, MY and it is higher or significantly higher than "solds" on Ebay or prices on TCD, then you're paying too much.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

do not think they are "way" over priced. These are low millage. If the condition is really good you will save some bucks on working out the bugs. As I have learned the condition is more important than a couple of grand in the purchase price.

They are close enough to market value that you can bring them down a couple grand with negotiations and get really low millage cars

Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM

Update: Thanks for all your replies! The '99 xk8 (cheaper one at Chevy dealer) in Wichita sold last weekend. Now the one in KC (the xkr) at the Jag dealer is the only in the area I'm still interested in. When I went to revisit it they had RAISED the price $2k! Now it's 24,998. I told them I had a printout of when it was 22,998 and they said they would "try" to do their best to still sell it to me close to that price. Yeah, right... This dealership has a reputation of pulling these kind of shenanigans so I may move on. I'm only 4 hours from DFW straight down I-35 so I may look into the texas autos direct option. I've found the xk's fairly cheap in Tulsa and OK city too.. Anyone here have any dealings with Aristocrat in Kansas City? It's been my observation that usually the Jags sit around awhile and are a little slower to move off the floor than other highlines...

sean

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Sean--if you are really interested in that XKR at the dealer, why not just figure what you are willing to spend and then go there with cash/check in hand and make a firm offer. Obviously, it is not clear that there is any reason that the car should suddenly be worth $2K more than they were originally asking and, in this economy, the pricing should be going the other way as cars sit on the lot. So make your offer and be willing to walk away if they play any more games. Then consider looking in California where there are plenty of these at good prices.

Doug

Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Four hours from Dallas, I would be looking there, I purchased mine out of Dallas. The car was in excellent shape, one owner, and most of the problems had been addressed. The underside after washing looked practically like it came from the factory floor. I drove it back 1000 miles was well worth the trip. Bought it from a sister dealer of Auto Direct, E- Car Link, they picked me up at the airport. and they made all the arrangements.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 AM

Another update: talked to Aristocrat on the phone last night. They said they put four new tires on it and had to replace the convertible top motors at a cost of $2,100. Is that about right? I know Porsche prices inside and out, but nothing about Jags. Also the build date on the door stamp is 9/01. Would that be considered in the clear in regards to the chain tensioner issues? Also someone here mentioned to check your insurance rates. I'm in my mid 40s and haven't had a ticket in 23 years. The jag would be a fourth car and driven less than 4-5k mi. per year. Are the XKRs unusually higher than other highlines? I'm also in the middle of Kansas so the only thing I'm going to hit is a cow!

sean

Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Sean
Originally Posted by test point : The engine serial number encodes the date the engine came off the engine assembly line. The conversion to metal tensioners occurred on August 13, 2001, thus a serial number of 010813xxxx (YYMMDDHHMM). There is no direct correlation between the engine serial number (date of engine assembly) and the VIN although a dealer can provide the engine number from the VIN.
$2100.00 is probably about right. I have mine insured with collector car insurance for about four hundred a year, unlimited mileage. I put about four or five thousand miles on a year.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Quick Reply: greetings jag folks!