Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise.. S/C or aircon compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding noise.. S/C or aircon compressor

Hi

I've had a grinding noise now for a few months that sounds very like the metal on metal sound when your brake pads are worn. When serviced in August Jaguar said it was the supercharger and not too worry at the time but eventually it would need replacing. Apparently they need changing circa the 100K mileage mark. Mine has done 97k.

Ive just been up to London and back and it has become considerably worse. I sourced a decent second hand supercharger and have stripped the top down as per the guide in growler.

However I'm now wondering if the noise could be a tensioner or idler pulley or has anyone had any problems with the aircon compressor pulley. The inside of the pulley seems to pull out independantly of the bit where the belt goes and I can imagine this is giving the metal on metal noise.

Is replacing an ircon compressor a DIY job? The first photo shows what I believe is the air con compressor pulley, the second photo is of the idler pulley from my supercharger belt. Not sure what the black is on the surface ! Maybe time for a change.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Grinding noise.. S/C or aircon compressor-pulley-1.jpg   Grinding noise.. S/C or aircon compressor-pulley-2.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The Drive Belt Tensioner (item 2) is a known failure.

Grinding noise.. S/C or aircon compressor-drive-belt-tensioner.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Eliminate that before jumping to the more expensive belt driven components.

Graham

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

+1 on Graham's direction about eliminating less costly components! It was really noticeable at start up but when it warmed up it was quieter (heat expanding the metal). I was eventually able to determine it was the idler pulley as I shot some WD-40 in behind it and the noise subsided temporarily. It was replaced at 108K miles.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. I know it's not the supercharger, or idler / tensioner on that side of things.

I'll try the idler and tensioner. If the belt is removed is there anyway of telling if these items are u/s or is it just replace and see?

Thanks

Steve

Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by steventoon
Thanks for the replies. I know it's not the supercharger, or idler / tensioner on that side of things.

I'll try the idler and tensioner. If the belt is removed is there anyway of telling if these items are u/s or is it just replace and see?

Thanks

Steve
With the belt removed check for free play and noise in the rotating parts - check the alternator as well - they can screech if the bearings are on the way out. In your original post the a/c compressor has an electromagnetic clutch at the front - that could be what you're thinking is loose, from your description it sounds normal.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Smile

Thanks for the help. All sorted. It was the aircon compressor pulley that was broken and wobbling on its shaft.

Steve

The following users liked this post:
batroute (11-12-2013)