XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy with my Jag!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Happy with my Jag!!

Everybody posts so many problems with their cars! I would just like to report that my '98 convertible with 89K is the nicest car I've ever owned.

Every other car I own has had issues this year, including my wife's Honda recall and my Avalon and pickup issues, but the Jag has been super reliable. In future, this winter, I plan to re-solder the posts inside the brake module, but that's about it. I fixed a number of items last winter and upgraded the top hydraulics and gauges, charged the A/C, added spacers to the front springs and now the car runs and rides like a dream. It has been the go-to car this summer whenever I need to get somewhere.

Anybody else out there happy with their Jag?

And another thing, did I just jinx my Jag?

The following 7 users liked this post by johns427:
ajwickham (09-29-2015), daro31 (09-24-2015), oyster (09-24-2015), reb1999 (09-26-2015), sklimii (09-26-2015), Tarlan (09-29-2015), test point (09-26-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Happy with mine. Nothing but routine maintenance.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice thread! I was just thinking about starting something similar - about how we enjoy these cars. My '03 is new to me, and I still have a ways to go in debugging/fixing some of the things that aren't working (all relatively minor). But she is a joy to drive, and every time I put the top down and set off down the mountain roads that lead me to anywhere from home, I feel freakin' great, with a big ol' smile on my face.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Couldn't be happier with 2004XK8

I went against all advice and bought a car with no maintenance history, last November. Through last winter I changed all of the fluids, regular maintenence items, belts and hoses as I had no history on them. I painted the bottom with POR15 and cleaned and polished every crack and crevice. I have put on 10,000 miles with 2 long trips without a missing drop of fluid nor an engine light. Just this week I added the remote top down unit, and I can't be more pleased with this car. End of October she goes away to get out of the Canadian winter. So she does not feel unloved I am going to freshen up the rear drive and suspension system, using the great photos and tips I have found on this forum I am looking forward to diving into that project.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Love my XK8 Drop Top

Puts a smile on my face every time I drive my Cat...Rich

Originally Posted by johns427
Everybody posts so many problems with their cars! I would just like to report that my '98 convertible with 89K is the nicest car I've ever owned.

Every other car I own has had issues this year, including my wife's Honda recall and my Avalon and pickup issues, but the Jag has been super reliable. In future, this winter, I plan to re-solder the posts inside the brake module, but that's about it. I fixed a number of items last winter and upgraded the top hydraulics and gauges, charged the A/C, added spacers to the front springs and now the car runs and rides like a dream. It has been the go-to car this summer whenever I need to get somewhere.

Anybody else out there happy with their Jag?

And another thing, did I just jinx my Jag?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

We remain satisfied with both of our Jaguars as well, but there's no question that they require far more attention to keep roadworthy than any other vehicles I've owned since I began driving in 1969. I attribute half of that to them being Jaguars and half of that to both of them being more than 10 years old now....

Old 09-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My car has been very reliable (knock on burlwood), there have been some annoyances but they were all very cheap to sort out and never left me stranded.
Honestly this may be the most dependable car in my family with the lowest running cost (tires excluded).

My brothers subaru is also a 2006 with comparable mileage. He has had far more go wrong with his car during the same time frame and has spent a small fortune on it including failed head gaskets TWICE, ac compressor and so on. If you were to tell me that I bought the more reasonable and reliable car at the time I would have thought you mad.

That being said i would not be surprised if more things begin to go wrong from now on, It seems that modern cars really start to have problems at the 10 year mark. I have a Mercedes s500 which I have kept for sentimental reasons with plastic that is literally disintegrating and a ton of electrical issues that sprang up at about the ten year mark. It became such a money pit that I have just opted to keep it running with many things in disrepair. hopefully this car ages better, but I suspect that my high standards for the car will need to be compromised as it ages. Many people point to how dependable their 13 year old honda is but when you get under the hood you find seals leaking, things squeaking and a plethora of other issues.
People with 12 year old jaguars complain about things that "dependable" car owners never pay mind to.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

yep - love my Jag - even when annoyances occur!!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Definite yes for 1997 XK8 Coupe. Excellent reliability & easy maintenance.
Also for the 1985 XJ6 I owned for 10 years.
Especially so when compared to the Audi's & BMW's in the household....glad that I do the repairs for what is out of warranty on the German stuff. Do not know how others afford them, even though the quattro/xdrive is excellent when working.
Cheers
ps I also don't get how a GM dealership can tell a mint low mile '97 Caddy owner that they "...don't support that car for service anymore. " ???