Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Improvement Possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
I am talking of modifying the original internal beam deflector as our Spanish friend has done with good results ...this increases the aperture of the bulb and lets more light through from the bulb.
I already have LED and the wiring for HID is no problem having done it on multiple prior cars.

Oh, so that’s what you guys are on about.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Just wanted to post these images I took today to show you what is possible if you ever decide to retrofit upgraded projectors.I should have also taken pictures while driving, but I did not have a passenger with me.

The Micro D2S 5.0 bixenon projector I mentioned in a previous post in this thread should out-perform the 4TL-R, but as you can see, the light output is already very good. I can see everything at night.

I think my right fog may need to be aimed, but those are the OE fogs and bulbs. I am considering which route to take to upgrade them.

Bixenon Morimoto 4TL-R in low beam mode.

Low beam + OE fogs

Bixenon Morimoto 4TL-R in High beam mode + Morimoto Mini HB High Beam projector

OE fogs only

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-08-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 496 Posts

Yesterday I trimmed the shield inside one headlamp as indicated by the spanish guy
DONT DO THIS
True you get some more light through but you have to wind the adjuster down as far as it will go as the cutting lifts the beam and this brings the main beam down rendering it useless. And not MOT test friendly
Today I am going to reverse the process.
ADDENDUM
Riveted back a strip of metal and trimmed to original...While I was in there I fitted an HID bulb I had from another car .
Well what I saw on the garage door in daylight did not impress me but will look again when its dark.

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 10-09-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yesterday I trimmed the shield inside one headlamp as indicated by the spanish guy
DONT DO THIS
True you get some more light through but you have to wind the adjuster down as far as it will go as the cutting lifts the beam and this brings the main beam down rendering it useless. And not MOT test friendly
ADDENDUM
Riveted back a strip of metal and trimmed to original...While I was in there I fitted an HID bulb I had from another car .
Well what I saw on the garage door in daylight did not impress me but will look again when its dark.
Yours are originally halogen, right? I wouldn’t expect serious improvement from chucking an HID in there.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,599 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Yours are originally halogen, right? I wouldn’t expect serious improvement from chucking an HID in there.

my 2002 XKR was early enough not to have factory HID’s , with ballasts or transformers, etc.

it did have the poor stock lighting.

Making the switch to a quality LED and slightlu
re-aiming the lights gave me plenty of usable light without any spill-over into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

I first purchased a pair of Hakari’s budget
line of H-1 LED’s from Amazon for about $39 per pair. They worked so well that I soon switched to their top of the line H-1 LED’s, costing $89 for the pair, more or less. Again, well worth worth the money.

For the early cars, a quality pair of LED’s should be considered as a relatively low cost way to make night driving safe. After 4 years, and 60,000 + miles the Hakari lights have performed flawlessly. A good deal of my driving has been cross country, and at night. Having an affordable lighting upgrade has made those
night time miles a pleasure.

Z

Old 10-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

So would I but they had LED in when I bought it so I have only that to compare with.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 471 Likes on 340 Posts

DONT DO THIS
ADDENDUM
I think you need to experiment with the amount you cut it down by - it made a huge difference when I did it to mine, with the beam reaching much further up the road.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

In the dark, the HID is much better than the LED No problem to fit there is a nice shelf to put the ballast unit on with a cable tie though you do need a hole or a slot to get the wires out to the ballast. Going to do the main beam HID as I have bulbs in stock from other cars. Dip is H1 Main is HB 3