XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Help! ABS Pump Motor Challenge

Old 05-25-2019, 04:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help! ABS Pump Motor Challenge

Hi,
Like many XK8 owners I have the ABS/Trac problems. I bought a replacement ABS controller module and pump. I was planning to "simply" remove the old controller module, pop in the new one, and go on my merry way. I noticed that the wiring to the pump motor was severely frayed. I decided to remove the pump motor assembly, since I had a replacement one (from a salvage car but it is in fine shape). It was easy enough to remove it, however along with it came the small flange or cap that goes on the spindle. That flange (sorry, I don't know the proper name) connects to two piston-like contacts in the pump. For the life of me I cannot get that flange back in there. I can separate the contacts with pliers but then there is no room for the flange. Perhaps there is a way.
Have a look at the photos and let me know what you think. I supposed I could drag my sorry **** to the repair man, but I am afraid they will order another module and pump at great expense. I'd rather avoid that.I reattached the ABS module harness but not the pump motor and the car will run and the brakes seem to work. But I don't want to risk anything.
Any thoughts? (other than the obvious: I should have left well enough alone!)? How do I get that piece back in there?
Thanks

This is the flange sitting on another pump assembly (also without the flange inside).

Here is the pump in the car. Argh.

Last edited by jhshannon; 05-25-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 177 Posts

That looks like the little pistons are what pumps the fluid for the ABS. I don't know, but maybe if you bleed some fluid while pushing them apart they will stay apart long
enough to slip the "sleeve" in there.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

good idea. I will suggest that to the mechanic who is now trying to repair it.
Thanks