XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help removing Control Seat Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing Control Seat Module

Anyone have any tips on removing the module from under the seat. Driver side is not working properly and I'd like to switch it for the Passenger side. As with everyone else, the case is cracked and no longer attached to the under seat. Looks to be plugged in, but having a very hard time removing it. Don't want to force it and damage it. Anyone have any tips or have had the same issue?

Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

If it's no longer attached to the seat is it just a problem with separating the plugs? Sometimes it is necessary to use a flat blade screwdriver at the joint to get it started, assuming you can find the tab that has to be depressed.

If you can move the seat back and forth remove the four screws that hold it on the track.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

There are 3 plugs on the back side of the module (just 2 on the passenger side). They are the usual automotive plugs. There is a tab that needs to be pressed in, then the plug can be pulled out. These plugs are usually a bit reluctant to come out, especially in the cold weather, but I would resist the urge to use tools. Your car, your call.

FWIW, the lids to these modules can still be bought from Jaguar and are, to me, very inexpensive (around $5 each). A cheap way to inject a bit of the original jaguarness into the car with a nice snug fitting module the way it was always meant to be.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Can the module be removed with the seat in place. My passenger seat will not move back so I cannot remove the seat. Also, should the fuses be removed before removing the module?

Thanks

Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Yes, you can remove the seat modules with the seat in place, though the difficulty of releasing the module will be dependent on the postion of the seat, since there is limited space and the wires to the module are not very long.

No need to pull fuses, but it is good practice to disconnect the battery prior to unplugging modules and doing any electrical work on these cars. Regardless, from what I have seen, if you forget to disconnect the battery while unplugging and re-plugging the seat modules there should be no ill effects.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

It is probably more useful to move the seat UP, at least the forward section. You SHOULD remove the fuses, but I admit to having done this procedure multiple times without bothering to do so. Separately, sometimes pulling the fuse and putting it back in can put a bit more life in the module and allow some movement...

Orthodixie (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the replies. My problem is that if I move the seat forward, I will not be able to get it to go back. Everything works except the rearward movement.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I removed my module without taking the seat out, or pulling fuses, or disconnecting the battery.

It was a real pain, but it can be done.

There are two bolts that come out of the bottom of the module. They go through 2 holes of the mounting bracket which is below the module. Undo both nuts. The hassle starts when there's no room above the module to push it up so the bolts clear the bracket. I used a small pry bar and wedged the bracket down. Fought it out.

The 3 plugs on the drivers side took a long time to come out, and that's with the module already out from under the seat. How they could be taken out in place I don't know. They are very stubborn.

Once I got the module out it had the classic break on the circuit board. Took it to a local TV repair shop for the finite solder work. $20 bucks later and a new jumper wire, it worked like a charm.

So since I could now move the seat forward and back, getting to the 4 seat bolts was easy peasy. And the reverse process was done much quicker.

Orthodixie (10-15-2017)