Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!xk8 convertible top won't move w/switch - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile JAg XK8 Convertible Top issues continue

my turn.

My top drives all the way up, but at the end, when everything is latched, i get a message "convertible Not Latched" and from then on, it won't drive down and won't finish by closing the rear windows.

I verified the limit switches all work in the latching header. Could it be the wiring between the connector in the header and the computer somewhere?

Tom (no fancy emoticons)

Old 05-24-2016, 10:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Domingo
Hey Gus, no I haven't swapped the hoses yet. That was going to be my next move if the switches were fine. But I I'll try it, It's just that I never disconnected the hoses after the top started working fine the first time. I must have lowered and raised the top a least 12 times before disconnecting the battery again. If anything I think the confused top syndrome was the most logical. Oh and I noticed that if the top is down and the rear windows are up(I manually lifted them with a 12v source) they do not go down once the vehicle battery is connected. The windows would go down as I had done this to prevent critters from getting into the car, so I do think it's the switches. That sounds like a good idea Gus I will try to ground the sensing wire for top down and see if at least it changes anything. I know that the signal is lost once the top moves a certain distance so it's going to be tricky but it should work for a test. But I have to wait until tomorrow as it's getting dark and the West Nile mosquitoes are out in force here Texas.
Hi Domingo, if you don't mind helping me out...

I have been trying to do the procedure to resolve the confused top syndrome, however when my top is down with latch closed, my button doesn't work when i push it to raise the top. It is functional for the down direction though.

So I thought maybe the reason it doesn't respond to raise the top might be a ram switch issue.

After reading your post I wondered if it may be due to a grounding issue as the one you had, so can you please tell me how it is done?

How do you ground the sensing wire for top down so I can test it and maybe get my button to work to raise the top so i can complete the confused top syndrome reset procedure?

And if that solves it then how do i apply a permanent fix?

Thanks alot
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 05-24-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Default I'm New (the car is not)

Hi,

Against the recommendation of my mechanic (I used to own 500 SL's and he did all the repairs that I didn't), I am buying a 1999 Jaguar XK Convertible.

I know I'm either going to have to eat crow and pay him a lot of money to work on my Jaguar, or get a lot of help form this forum (you come highly recommended).

In buying the car, I know the top is not working and there are several other things that are causing the seller to give up on the car and make me a deal.

So, I got onto this site because of the "top" thread, and I'll do my research, but being a novice, I'm seeking and open to your advice on "owning and operating" this fantastic car, so please, tell me everything.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Not sure you want to know everything! Get the car and take one opportunity at a time and start a new thread for each opportunity that way you will get the help you need.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKHWK
Hi,

Against the recommendation of my mechanic (I used to own 500 SL's and he did all the repairs that I didn't), I am buying a 1999 Jaguar XK Convertible.

I know I'm either going to have to eat crow and pay him a lot of money to work on my Jaguar, or get a lot of help form this forum (you come highly recommended).

In buying the car, I know the top is not working and there are several other things that are causing the seller to give up on the car and make me a deal.

So, I got onto this site because of the "top" thread, and I'll do my research, but being a novice, I'm seeking and open to your advice on "owning and operating" this fantastic car, so please, tell me everything.

Thanks
Hello BLKHWK, the thing about these cars is that even if you start your ownership with a perfectly working one, you will most probably find yourself "eating crow" in one way or another due to the age of the car and its components and design.

So assuming you really want to own an XK, before you purchase one that you may think is a good deal and that has apparent and certain issues to begin with, you may want to consider avoiding all the potential headaches and expenses by finding one that doesn't have any defects. The cost of fixing an already defective one may be higher than the so called savings you may think you're getting by purchasing a so called cheaper one.

There are many ways to view what is a good deal and Jaguar is not one of the ways to experiment to determine how much of a deal you may be getting.

Also, buying an aged Jaguar, and this site, are for those that have some knowledge and aptitude to repair cars. So if you don't know much about diagnosing, understanding long distance diagnosing that may be provided to you via the internet, and repairing, etc, then you will be relying on your mechanic and your financial and personal tolerance for jumping into the unknown of what your car will reveal.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 AM
Default Well said

Thanx to both of you. Wisely said and well spoken.

I will be getting an XK convertible. In my process, I have considered 1999 through 2008, R's, Portfolio's....the good news being, there are many available and for my purposes, several different options.

The deal i mentioned, may not come to fruition and I'll pursue something else, however, as was stated, I anticipate that I will need to get educated because there are likely to be things that need doing, regardless of the year or model that I end up with.
Perhaps it's just plain arrogance, but there are many things I will happily take on. I feel I have enough background in many areas that I can do 80% of what will be needed. The 20% that is beyond me, might be that I don't have the tools or the space or expertise to insure a quality outcome. And I know that I will need to get educated about much of the 70%, but for me that's the "fun" of it. Like with my motorcycles or TBird, working on them and learning about them, gives me as much satisfaction as owning and driving them.
Also, since it is not a daily driver or a project that has a deadline, I won't feel the pressure of "rushing" to complete anything.
In the '80's I got a Ferrari 365 GTBS and decided to do a "ground up" restoration. My plan was to do everything myself and when I got to a place where I didn't have the knowledge or skill, I would stop work and go get it and then resume my work. i had to learn many things ie: welding, upholstering, etc. In the end I was about 80% successful. There were some things that I realize would need to be done by others or it would have taken me a lifetime to complete that one car.
I think it will be about the same here.
My mechanic says it is doable, it just requires putting in the needed hours and psychic energy to learn. He says these cars are as "fixable" as any other, just unique and "quirky".
What was not available when I did the Ferarri was the internet and access to other owners that had gone through the process, willing to share and help.
So, anyway, I'm excited and have my hands filled with tools, ready to begin.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Blkhwk,

I think you won't be disappointed. These cars are an excellent fit, an excellent value, for a guy with your interests and skills. Yes there are quirks, a few of them maddening, but the core reliability has been as good as anything I've owned (I'm on my second one).

Depending on the vintage, and the prior owner's attention to detail, you may even find that your initial to-do list is a short one.

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Domingo
So finally got back to looking at it and this is what I used to check out the top operation: 501-11AM. This has some great info and covers the operation of the system and has some troubleshooting in it too. So I found out that I both switches are bad in my Right cylinder. I just don't have any continuity in the lowered and raised positions. While the top was used only manually by the last owner for years. Now just to find a good used cylinder...

501-11AM is a great doc, tho now I can’t find a solution to a “convertible not latched” error message— did someone change the wording on my car 😂?