XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's something interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking Here's something interesting...

I don't know if this really means anything, but I figured I'd mention it.

We all know the standard daily/weekly "Stability/traction control failure" message, and the fact that the owners manual says the vehicle can be driven with this message. Also, we all know there's no urgent message in the manual instructing you to get your butt to the mechanic as soon as possible. So, we all drive, press the "clear" button until we decide to address the problem.

NOW, the reason for this post...

Here in the Pacific Northwest (Washington/united states) we just went through a cold snap that lasted 3 1/2 weeks. The temperatures were hovering 25/30 degrees (F). The day before the cold snap, error message. However, for the full duration of the cold snap, all 3 1/2 weeks, no error message. The day the temps rose to around 40 degrees, the error message returned.

I know the issue is caused by the two tiny soldering points, but what does the cold have to do with it?

Coincidence or a clue to our little issue with the stability/traction control failure messages.....hmmm...

Old 11-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Are you sure the error is coming from the ABS module and not, say, an intermittent connection in the front sensor wiring?

Both are pretty common.

The following users liked this post:
marvin.d.miller (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good question, for which there's probably no answer. I did the ABS module soldering fix (along with cleaning the wheel sensors) about a month ago. Temps were in the 50s/60s. The messages disappeared immediately. They stayed away for a week or so, then reappeared. I had the car in the shop for new front bushings. After that, with temps in the 40s and 50s, the messages disappeared. Then, and day or so later, they reappeared. The temps then plunged from the 50s to 20s. The messages disappeared for several days, but then reappeared. Someone once posted that it could take many miles before the messages stay away after the fixes are done. I really don't care anymore. It's stored outside under cover and tarp, hooked up to the CTEK until March or so...

Last edited by Poppyboy; 11-20-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
marvin.d.miller (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

With a little detective work, it's usually possible to tell one from the other ... or at least to make an educated guess.

If the error is not there on startup, but pops up after some steering inputs or suspension travel, that suggests the front sensor wiring. Even without jacking the car, you can clean and re-seat the front sensor connectors to see if that clears the fault ... pretty conclusive if it does (even temporarily). That front sensor wiring can be rearranged to take stress off the connectors ... I've gotten a long term fix on two XK8s that way.

The error message will be gone on next engine start if the fault is gone. The yellow abs icon might stay on for a while longer though.

Last edited by Dennis07; 11-20-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: clarity
The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis07:
cjd777 (11-20-2014), marvin.d.miller (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I just wanted to chime in. Sometimes I think I know too much. And sometimes I feel it's hard to find the right information here. But I had an intermittent ABS issue. Checked the ABS module, cleaned the wheel sensors....And well, finally checked it with a code reader. Said left front sensor.....Changed it....Same issue...It was the line. I don't know how or why. But the line itself was bad. My advice. Check which sensor. Swap out with another. If same sensor location comes up in the code its likely the line. Or you can confuse yourself and start checking the ohms of each wire and do the wiggle test. I personally like swapping out the sensor with another wheel and then retesting after a drive. GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Similar issue here. Intermittent ABS light then became permanent. When the intermittent fault started I checked the sensor resistances from the modle connector and allw as well. Unfortunately this was misleading. Whne the light was on permanently, I bit the bullet and bought the needed to read the ABS codes. This showed a front RH open circuit. Sensor resistance was OK, took the link lead off and this was OK, until refitted. Turned out that this part, replaced with a new one in 2012, had a faulty crimp and was making intermittent contact at the sensor end. Replaced the connector with a new one including crimped and soldered terminals and heat shrink strain relief.

In anticipation of future fun, I have a stock of connectors for both ends and some silicone test lead cable.