XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home link garage door opener

Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home link garage door opener

Does any know if all home link devices are the same. The 97 XK8 conv. that i bought last week is missing the homelink (it has been removed). I have the bessel and the rubber button strip, but there are no "guts". I would think that the guts from any similar looking homelink would work, but i am not sure.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Did a quick search for you in the XK8/R forums, found these...I think it will answer all your questions.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Default My two cents worth...

I'm not a homelink expert, nor do I play one on TV, but the homelink function in a Jag (or a Yugo) doesn't really need to be integrated into the car at all...

It gets power from the car, but just sits up there and transmits whatever signal it has been taught, when you push the button. There is really no need for any other interaction with your car.

Now, while that makes perfect sense, realize we're discussing a Jaguar here, so it probably has all sorts of inter-connections with the cars electronics that we've never considered, like whether the radio is too loud, or the top is down, or the rear "seat" is occupied...

Somebody with a current JTIS should be able to report those intricacies here...

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Default All G.D.O. modules are NOT created equal

My '97 XK8 convertible's HomeLink module would not work with my garage door opener and I contacted HomeLink support at Chamberlin Group.

I learned the module in the '97 does not work with rolling code Garage Door Openers. Here is the official response I received:

"Prior to 1997, all HomeLink equipped vehicles were not compatible with rolling code garage door openers system (rolling code is the type of opener you now have). Depending on the manufacture date, even some early 1998 vehicles with HomeLink may or may not be rolling code compatible.

To check and see if you have a rolling code compatible HomeLink, look at the LED indicator light by the 3 buttons.

**If you have an oval shaped Red indicator light, then this is a non-rolling
code compatible HomeLink (not compatible with your opener).
**If your indicator light is located inside an Icon of a House, then this is a rolling code compatible HomeLink.
**If the LED indicator is amber colored (Yellowish Gold), this also is a rolling code compatible HomeLink.

If you established that your vehicle is not compatible with rolling code, you can make it work by installing a Universal Receiver in the garage. This receiver when used with HomeLink will bypass the rolling code feature that your opener offers. Your original hand-held transmitters and wall switch button will still work the same way they normally do, nothing is changed there.

You can contact a local garage door opener dealer regarding the availability of this device (non-rolling code universal receiver kit) or feel free to call our HomeLink customer assistance center at 1-800-355-3515. Our hours are M-F 5am-6pm, Sat. 7am-5pm MST. The cost of our Universal Receiver is $68.90+ ship/tax. "

Hope this helps so that at least you don't replace it with an OEM '97 or '98 module.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Good information Jim (i presume by your screen name). I'm going to FAQ this thread for other 'homelink' queries in the future.

Also, you can replace your homelink module in the car as well, perhaps not as cheap, but can be done.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts

The rolling code GDOs were introduced around 2000MY and after replacing alot of 1997 to 1999 for not programming to customer's rolling code receivers we were told to stop 'warranty replacement' of units if they lit the red transmit indicator. The customers were told to purchase the newer rolling code GDOs (overhead console) and they were about $800.00 if I remember correctly. The lucky ones had the overhead console replaced when the top latch hose failed under factory warranty and the unit was filled with conv top fluid.

bob gauff

Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

At last! Value in having the top latch hose leak!

I bought my universal receiver from a garage door company for $25 but that was a number of years ago. eBay has one for $9.99 + $5 shipping at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories

The Home-Link from any of the Jaguar cars should work. You may have to fashion the proper connectors.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a '98 that worked with my rolling code opener.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

ahh, no wonder why it doesnot work on my 97 Jag. If one buys the universal units how does it affect my other car that DOES work with the rolling code and is working the door just fine.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I bought a HomeLink unit out of a Sebring off of ebay. I installed it in a 1988 Rolls Royce. These in-car remote units are nothing more advanced than the store bought hand held ones. Check ebay for a replacement HomeLink unit that will work and install it in your car.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Or . . . wire the $10 receiver in parallel with the old one. Both transmitters will work just fine.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Is there a knack to programming the homelink?
I have an amber indicator so it should be compatible, but it does not seem to link in, even though I follow the manual instructions and it flashes in all the right places!...

Cheers
Drew.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by D3RAW
Is there a knack to programming the homelink?
I have an amber indicator so it should be compatible, but it does not seem to link in, even though I follow the manual instructions and it flashes in all the right places!...

Cheers
Drew.
Once the Homelink (in the car) has successfully learned the code, The opener (in the garage) has to be set to learn mode per the opener manufacturers instructions.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

My 98 works with the rolling codes. After the car learns the transmitter then the opener has to learn the car. There should be a "learn" button on your opener. I'm glad I reread this...I had "My 98 works with the rolling coeds." Don't even want to explain that.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by itspec60
I had "My 98 works with the rolling coeds." Don't even want to explain that.
I'm sure the associated pictures would have explained everything nicely

Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by itspec60
My 98 works with the rolling codes. After the car learns the transmitter then the opener has to learn the car. There should be a "learn" button on your opener. I'm glad I reread this...I had "My 98 works with the rolling coeds." Don't even want to explain that.

You mean the red button in my case on the main unit???? Once I have set the car (97) to the hand held transmitter then what do I do??? Just press the learn button on the unit?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Press the learn button on the unit. I think you have about 30 sec to then push the button on your car that you programmed from your handheld unit. The opener (I have a Genie) should then catch the code coming from the car and "learn it". It might take more than one attempt. Park as close to your door opener as you can.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

I have pressed the learn button on the head unit then ran to the car (30 secs) then did the car unit with not luck. My red light on my head unit starts flashing to a rapid flash which says it is set.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Maybe 97 is the "cutoff date" for rolling codes. If you haven't already you could clear the previous codes and start over. My garage door opener is a Genie w/ Intellicode. My buddie's 98 Eldorado worked on it but it took us repeated tries before it did.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Sometimes they can be frustrating. Mine is the push the button on the garage door opener unit, then go to the car to program it too. It worked with my '98. But my fiance has an '03 Jeep that I tried to program one day and it just wouldn't work. I tried until I got frustrated and gave up. Then I gave it a try in a week or two, and it worked right off the bat. And I swear I didn't do anything different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: home link garage door opener