XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Not Latching Warning - How to fix?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood Not Latching Warning - How to fix?

I got this warning message today while driving and it won't go away. Of course, the hood is closed and latched securely on both sides. Even opened and shut several times. Car turned off and back on. Still thinks it's not latched.

So, where is the sensor that's sending this message? I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone knows how to fix this thing.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Hood, in this case, is the convertible top. Try cycling it open and closed and see if it goes away. If this doesn't do it you will have to investigate further and more knowledgeable posters will be here to help you.

The following users liked this post:
Judi in Alabama (04-24-2012)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Yep, those silly Brits have funny names for stuff. They need to learn to speak English! LOL! Hood=convertible top. Bonnet=hood. Boot=trunk. I spent an hour fiddling with my "hood" before I finally realized I was fiddling with the wrong thing.

Like Westra said, try cycling it. If that doesn't work there are instructions in the owner's manual which explain how to latch the top. There's a microswitch up near the latch that probably isn't making good contact. If you can get the latch opened and then re-close it using the Allen key in the trunk then it will probably be fine. The same thing happened to mine.

The following users liked this post:
Judi in Alabama (04-24-2012)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Yep, those silly Brits have funny names for stuff. They need to learn to speak English! LOL! Hood=convertible top. Bonnet=hood. Boot=trunk. I spent an hour fiddling with my "hood" before I finally realized I was fiddling with the wrong thing.

Like Westra said, try cycling it. If that doesn't work there are instructions in the owner's manual which explain how to latch the top. There's a microswitch up near the latch that probably isn't making good contact. If you can get the latch opened and then re-close it using the Allen key in the trunk then it will probably be fine. The same thing happened to mine.
One of the 'rules' for using the remote top is not to start the car until you hear the 'ding' confirming the top is fully open. If you do, you may be greeted with the 'hood not latched message'....which will clear up with a cycling of the top.

This is the car's perverse way of telling you it is illogical to start the car while the key is being turned in the door and the top is partially open...which is what the remote top controller emulates.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speaking British

Bonnet-Hood-Boot, Bonnet-Hood-Boot - keep repeating

A Rolls service manual is even more perplexing. I messed up some wiring mistaking the storage loom (as the one going to the memory module that stored seat settings) but instead the storage bin is British for center console.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Does every USA first time Jag Convertible owner go through this at some point?

I ran into this leaving the office one nice summer day when my '03 XKR didn't have 1,000 miles on it yet. It took me long enough to figure out the "bonnet" opened from the back and not the front.

I spent around 15 or 20 min in the parking lot before I decided there was no harm done and didn't figure out it was the convertible top latch until I closed it an hour or two later and found the message finally went away.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, for potential future owners, here is my take on this.

I had the "hood not latched" error with the top fully up. I had seen this before but it never lasted long. This time it would not go away, and the top would not operate at all. I took the hex wrench form between the rear seats and opened the top latches, which released the top from the windshield cowling. I followed the manual top reset procedure, except I could not get the toneau cover to budge - is was securely fastened, even though the hydraulic pump was bypassed/disengaged. I figured I was screwed, as I couldn't put the top down, nor get it closed again. I put the pump bypass back to operational, tried the top button again to no avail. So there I was with the top partially open trying to figure out how I was going to get the car to the dealer. I started it up, and then the top automatically retracted, and was fully functional again. Go figure.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,749 Likes on 12,142 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightman7
OK, for potential future owners, here is my take on this. .....
It's over six years since the last post in this thread.

Just to be clear, do you refer to a 1996-2006 XK8/XKR or to the 2010 XKR showing in your forum signature?

Graham