XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big a gamble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How big a gamble?

I have a series II XJ6C into which I intend to transplant a later model Jaguar engine. I shudder when I see a Chevy transplant (no offense to those who have done it, just not my cup of tea) but the thought of an AJV8 is tempting to me. Yes, I am aware of the problems with the early V8 but I'm thinking that the earlier electronics will make the swap a bit easier.

With that said, I've been keeping an eye on possible parts cars as candidates. There has recently appeared on eBay a 2000 XK8 with flood damage. I'm fully aware of the myriad problems a car might suffer after dunking into the ocean. This would never be a consideration for trying to put the whole car back on the road. But this one might sell for $hundreds, not $thousands, it is located reasonably close to my location and, the seller claims it fires albeit with the help of starting fluid.

I'm tempted to throw a few dollars at it on the gamble I can use the drivetrain. But first, will someone remind me why this is such a bad idea? Or are there any of you who think it might be worth the gamble?

Tony

Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by impster
Yes, I am aware of the problems with the early V8 but I'm thinking that the earlier electronics will make the swap a bit easier.
Tony
I suppose anyhting is possible, but the AJV8 had some of the most advanced electronics of its day. These are fully networked vehicles, where all the electronic modules communicate with one another. You cannot just remove the ECU and expect that it will work happily by itself without a number of other electronic modules in the car.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default LS1 swap

First this likely should be in the XJ thread, you posted in the XK thread. Having said that the LS1 swap is well sorted. A lot of folks and shops (looked into this at some length) can do it and, when you are done, you have an engine most any shop can fix or modify. If you really want a newer engine you'd be far better off just buying a newer car. Doing the kind of swap you are talking about would have a very high risk of resulting in a car that won't run. I'd suggest you start by calling the folks at Jaguar Specialties, they do the kit for the LS1 just to get a sense for the difficulty. They just completed a kit for a current generation and it took a ton of time to get the computers to talk. Anyway they are a great resource. My 6 cents.

Oh, and in my own case, I just decided to get a newer XKR instead. It was a ton cheaper and I got something like 650 additional improvements with the newer car.

Jaguar Specialties

Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

If you only need engine management then perhaps an aftermarket system such as the MegaSquirt would be an easier choice as it is standalone and fully programmable.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Why, again-?

You're going to spend a ton of money on a project that stands a good chance of never fully functioning, and for what? Brand purity? I say if you're doing a swap, keep it primitive and go with what many others did before you with the Chevy V8. Either that or step up to a newer model as enderle suggested.

I just don't see the point in what you're contemplating, but hey it's your money.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I also have a 1977 XJC , and have been looking into a more powerful ( and economical) engine transplant myself, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only real ( reasonably simple / means will be fully sorted ) is to fit the XJ40 4.0 litre engine, this takes DIN power from the standard 170HP to 245 BHP ( with the cat still in circuit).
The exhaust is on the other side, and you need XJS engine mounts , the ECU looom for this car ( I am informed) is a separate loom so can easilly be sorted. I am an electronics engineer, and after seeing the XJ8 wiring .... even the traction control is in the ECU circuit so for instance you cant change the rear axle ratio as the ECU thinks you have wheel spin and depowers the engine ... then the security system... forget it ! I am hoping to do my swop with a Getrag 5 speed manual transmission( as this is a straight swop)

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Reminds me of the old saying. "If you have to ask, you're probably not up to the task." Physically making it fit is one thing, making it work is another. Also, if you're planning on using the dunked transmission - don't. The friction materials inside are bonded to their metal counterparts with water-based adhesive. It doesn't take much moisture to loosen the adhesive and then you're looking at another trans. $. $$. $$$. Can you say 'money pit'?