Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the front struts out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 06:19 AM
Received 193 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
man just hit the knuckle harder
This. Dunno if there's room here, but hitting the knuckle HARD on both sides simultaneously with 2 heavy (hand sledge) hammers has often worked for me on other vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 03:39 AM
Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Lutz
Hello,
I have bad upper strut mount bushings and I'm in the process of replacing them. I looked at three different you tube videos for this, all of which make the job look very easy. I followed all instructions. In the first video, the guy just takes the struts out with some light downward compression on a pry bar on the lower suspension. When I try this, I'm not even close to getting the strut out, as it won't clear all the obstructions.. The second video, the guy disconnects the upper control arm ball point, pivots it down, and takes the strut out. I cannot get the ball point out with his method of hitting the spindle with a hammer, as he doesn't explain or show how he does it, he just says hit it with a hammer. I had no luck and I'm not going to go after it with a sledge hammer, since I don't really know how to do it. The third video, the guy takes off the upper control arm by removing the main bolt. Looks easy, he just takes the nut off and spins the main bolt out by hand. On mine, I take the bolt off and get zero movement. Hitting the other end with a hammer also results in zero movement. I tried compressing the suspension a little, but still no luck.

So, none of the you tube videos work for me, they do not provide enough info and everything just comes right off with no effort, which is not realistic. Is there another way of doing this that I'm missing? Any ideas??? Thanks.

-Chris
Funny, I just did both sides of my '00 today. I followed the Jag manual with a slight addition.

1. Remove the wheel and jack up the suspension a bit.
2. Remove nut from shock but leave bolt.
3. (My idea) remove nut from sway bar to lower arm and disconnect sway bar. You'll get more downward movement.
4. Remove the 3 nuts from top of shock.
5. Lower suspension.
6. Remove nut from upper wishbone shaft, then struggle like hell to get the shaft out. BE CAREFUL and note any shims that come out - quantity and position. You many need to adjust tension on the suspension up or down in order to assist with getting that infernal shaft out.
7. Remove bolt from shock bottom and lift shock out.

No need to remove ball joints or anything else.

I also, through one video and lots of trial and error, figgered out how to replace the shock bushing.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KJag
...Remove nut from upper wishbone shaft, then struggle like hell to get the shaft out. BE CAREFUL and note any shims that come out - quantity and position.
Removing the pivot bolt is a lottery. For some, it's a breeze, for others it's the job from hell.

I tried unsuccessfully every which way removing the shocks without detaching the upper control arms. From the horror stories I've read IMO it should be a maintenance item every couple of years.

Good design spoiled by crap execution (little to no waterproofing)

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
cjd777 (09-10-2023), Y2KJag (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh
Removing the pivot bolt is a lottery. For some, it's a breeze, for others it's the job from hell.

I tried unsuccessfully every which way removing the shocks without detaching the upper control arms. From the horror stories I've read IMO it should be a maintenance item every couple of years.

Good design spoiled by crap execution (little to no waterproofing)
Very true! The left side was a bit difficult but not too bad. The right side was a fight to the death. On reassembly I think I'll be generous with anti-seize or something. In case I have to do this again.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I think the main issue is water wicking along the bolt from its exposed centre section (no seals into the crossbeam), so that bolt rusts there and on into the bushings' inner sleeves also.
Plus the washers jamming as bazjag noted.

I used lots of underwater grease and rubber grease in and around on reassembly as it's highly likely I'll be the next man in...

The following users liked this post:
Y2KJag (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 732 Posts

The lottery mentioned re the top shaft also extends to include the particular ball joints fitted, some will articulate to swing low enough and some will not. You won't know what you have until it's time to do the job, but if the top shaft is removed the low swing is not required anyway.

The following 3 users liked this post by baxtor:
cjd777 (09-10-2023), michaelh (09-10-2023), Y2KJag (09-10-2023)