XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How precise should the steering be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How precise should the steering be?

I have had the XKR for a while now, gone through a few tanks of gas, and starting to get to know her.

Generally, the suspension - while a bit on the soft side - is quite good with no clunks or creaks, and the setup feels fine for such a heavy car. The steering doesn't have me 100% convinced though.

When the steering loads up it has good feel; however, until then it isn't as precise as I would have wished. Unloaded straight ahead is a little vague and the initial turn-in response is not very sharp - although it improves when going for the curves more dedicated. It is not a match for my Alfa on the twisties (although it murders it on the straights).

Is this typical behaviour for the steering, or an indication of something that should be attended to? I am aware that it is a heavy GT rather than a lithe curve-tool, and overall I am very pleased with the car. Just want it to be the best it can be.

Thanks for any comments,
Lars

Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Sound like its time for a visit to your local suspension shop.My guess is your 14 year old suspension needs bushings for the shock and control arms and ball joints.

My steering is stiff and sticky,not soft at all.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Thanks. The bushings were replaced not too long ago, and generally feel pretty tight. I am considering doing it again and going poly. I guess sixty-something k miles is a bit soon to suspect wear of the steering rack?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

First thing to do would be a four wheel alignment.

Pay particular attention to toe-in front and rear. If you happen to be running zero toe, it will be a bit vague at the center. You want just a touch of toe-in to take up the slack when at center.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Tires too!

It's been my experience that tires have some effect on tracking and turn-in issues. Some tires are simply vague and low pressure could hurt too. I went from Yoko's to Michelins and had immediate improvement in tracking and response.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You are aware that it has dynamic steering which firms up at speed?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default It is what it is, Not an Alpha or a Porsche

I sympathize, but it's probably normal.

I came from driving a Porsche Boxster to an XKR coupe that needed maintenance.

The Jag should not feel bad or sub-par. If it does, you can be sure you have maintenance issues.

BUT THERE IS A SIMPLE ITEM TO TRY TO SEE IF YOU LIKE IT BETTER

Driver side fuse box, first column, third fuse from the top.
Remove it. The steering will be heavier. I love it.
However, with the fuse removed, you also disable the climate control completely.
Try it.
I drove that way for 12 months before having a switch put inside the glovebox that accomplishes the same thing but leaves the climate control enabled. If I had not discovered this trick, I would have sold the car.

Here is what others told me:
Alternatively it can be accessed at the steering module (module with a 9-pin connector, behind the glovebox). On 2000-2006 vehicles it is the blue wire, connector pin 4.

Paul Pavlik clarified further:
The Module is located on a Bracket mounted to the Right of the Glove Box (LHD Cars). To Access, remove the Glove Box Assembly.

If you install a Switch that interrupts the Blue Wire, the Steering will be "Easy" or "Low Boost" at all times when the Switch is Open. When Closed, the Steering will change Boost with Speed (Factory Setting).

To enable "Hard Steering" or "Low Boost" at all times, you could install a Switch in series with the White/Blue Wire feeding the Module. With the Switch Open, The Steering would be "Hard" at all times.

Voltage to the Rack Solenoid causes "Low Steering Effort" or "High Boost".

No Voltage to the Rack Solenoid causes "High Steering Effort" or "Low Boost".

The following 3 users liked this post by weisberg:
Artigiano (05-23-2014), Jag Pilot (05-16-2014), Sentinelist (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

Speaking of tires, touring tires will be softer than sport tires.

Best thing to do, get a tire with a high speed rating, its does not have to e the highest, but just high enough to be stiffer than what you have now.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Great post and idea, weisberg.

I've noticed some play in my steering as well- I came from a Porsche 944 Turbo before my XKR recently, and am inspired to make the XKR as much of a dialed-in driver's car as possible. I've got nice Continental DWS Z-rated tires on there which helped, but also need to look at my bushings, control arms, doing an alignment asap, and definitely try the steering rack boost trick.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks.
My lower control arm bushings were the key item the previous owner missed despite putting in new CATS shocks, and those lower control arms made a big difference.

I recently had the front roll bar bushings changed to the purple poweflex bushings. Cant say I noticed a difference

Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artigiano
Thanks. The bushings were replaced not too long ago, and generally feel pretty tight. I am considering doing it again and going poly. I guess sixty-something k miles is a bit soon to suspect wear of the steering rack?
Again,if your posting your steering feels a little soft, something is wrong, let a Jaguar dealer or independent inspect the car free.As ive seen two Jaguars locally broke down with their front tire pushed inward and fender tore up.

They reported the same condition,

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 AM

Thanks for all the tips, and especially to Weisberg for the tip on the steering booster - will try, and will also recheck alignment and bushes!

Generally the handling and steering feels good, so doubt anything is wrong beyond the tweaking.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Artigiano,

Keep after it. I have a 63 Alfa spider as well as an XK8 coupe. Oddly enough both have just over 94K miles on them. After a very capable dealer chased down all the clunking noises in the XK8 suspension, replacing sway bar bushings, struts, etc. and with the Michelin pilot sport tires (with incumbent wear issues) or good Pirelli's, I would put the jag just slightly lower on the handling than the Alfa, on par with the wife's 2006 BMW 325i. This is just due to overall mass - the Jag is heavier, the BMW is heavier and taller. The handling is very precise on all three.

The 63 Alfa in question is from the days when the convertibles were very stiff bodied. The XK8 convertible and your Alfa are real similar with respect to body torque issues so I would expect a similar set of issues when hitting railroad tracks with one wheel first but the steering and suspension on your Jag can be very precise when it is dialed in right. There should be no delay or mushiness.

At the same time, I have to admit the Alfa is a car you just have to think about going a particular direction and it goes that way, effortlessly. They just have such prima donnas on their web sites that I refuse to join them.

Good Luck, let me know if there are Alfa resources you need.

-Steven

Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1avguy
Keep after it. I have a 63 Alfa spider as well as an XK8 coupe.
Thanks; imagine, a fellow Alfa/Jagnut! A 63' would make that a Giulietta/Giulia? Nice car!

After a very capable dealer chased down all the clunking noises in the XK8 suspension, replacing sway bar bushings, struts, etc. and with the Michelin pilot sport tires (with incumbent wear issues) or good Pirelli's, I would put the jag just slightly lower on the handling than the Alfa, on par with the wife's 2006 BMW 325i. This is just due to overall mass - the Jag is heavier, the BMW is heavier and taller. The handling is very precise on all three.

The 63 Alfa in question is from the days when the convertibles were very stiff bodied. The XK8 convertible and your Alfa are real similar with respect to body torque issues so I would expect a similar set of issues when hitting railroad tracks with one wheel first but the steering and suspension on your Jag can be very precise when it is dialed in right. There should be no delay or mushiness.

At the same time, I have to admit the Alfa is a car you just have to think about going a particular direction and it goes that way, effortlessly.
Thanks for the useful comparisons. I imagine the Jag is only a four-wheel alignment and possibly new shocks away from its best. I agree that the Alfa seems to be connected to curves by telepathy - great fun!

They just have such prima donnas on their web sites that I refuse to join them. Good Luck, let me know if there are Alfa resources you need.
Haha - seems the prima donna bit comes as an integral part of Alfa ownership. Do I smell an underground sub-thread forming?..

Lars