XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyd Hoses for Pump and Rams

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hyd Hoses for Pump and Rams

Is there any potential problem with the remaining hoses in the truck area that feed the Hyd Cylinders/Rams that operate the top? If so, I should probably go ahead and replace them now. Comments and guidance are appreciated... __________________

Am going to order the pair (2) of hoses from Baltimore for the Conv Hyd Top fix. My sincere thanks to Gus for his efforts and documentation on this. Additionally, my sincere thanks to the Rev and the 'many others' for the the 'elect mod pressure reduction'. Hopefully, about a week I will be 'Top Down'.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have two precautions that everyone with a convertable might try in order to avoid blown hoses. First... don't activate your top with the engine running. When the engine is running the voltage to the hydraulic pump is 14 volts, which provides more power to the pump motor. When the engine isn't running the voltage of course is 12 volts. This idea come from some one else on the forum. They deserve the credit, not me. The second idea....don't activate the top when the car is hot. Out in the sun the areas where the tubing runs is really hot. The hydraulic lines may me more apt the burts. So... engine not running in the shade is best.

The following users liked this post:
billm (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by billm
Is there any potential problem with the remaining hoses in the truck area that feed the Hyd Cylinders/Rams that operate the top? If so, I should probably go ahead and replace them now. Comments and guidance are appreciated... .
I would say inspect them. If the outer black sheathing is soft and sticky, if you can penertrate it with your fingernail without much force, or if it is peeling, they should be replaced soon.

They do not fail as often, but they can deteriorate from heat and exposure just like the top hoses. When they fail though, it is not as dramatic ...they will not potentially spray or drip oil on you like the top hoses can.

billm (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin
I have two precautions that everyone with a convertable might try in order to avoid blown hoses. First... don't activate your top with the engine running. When the engine is running the voltage to the hydraulic pump is 14 volts, which provides more power to the pump motor. When the engine isn't running the voltage of course is 12 volts. This idea come from some one else on the forum. They deserve the credit, not me. The second idea....don't activate the top when the car is hot. Out in the sun the areas where the tubing runs is really hot. The hydraulic lines may me more apt the burts. So... engine not running in the shade is best.
I have installed the 'electric pressure reduction' that came from Rev. But evidently the Hose at the Top Latch had all ready been blown by the prior Owner. So I will do Gus's 'metal braided' line repair. Top down in a week...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by billm
Is there any potential problem with the remaining hoses in the truck area that feed the Hyd Cylinders/Rams that operate the top? If so, I should probably go ahead and replace them now. Comments and guidance are appreciated... __________________

Am going to order the pair (2) of hoses from Baltimore for the Conv Hyd Top fix. My sincere thanks to Gus for his efforts and documentation on this. Additionally, my sincere thanks to the Rev and the 'many others' for the the 'elect mod pressure reduction'. Hopefully, about a week I will be 'Top Down'.
Yes you have the potential for the hoses at the rams to fail along with the seals on the rams and the seal at the latch that are known to be dislodged due to the pressure and temperatures. Should you replace them, not unless they are leaking. The hoses for the rams are as expensive as the hose for the latch. Also when we were looking at the hoses for the rams they have special fittings. We identified the cause to be the excessive pressure hence the development of the pressure relief valve. Other processes are available but I prefer the valve. That choice is yours!

billm (06-10-2011)