XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting first month of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting first month of ownership

I bought a 2004 XKR conv. from Carmax about 3 weeks ago. It's been an interesting experience, one that I hope bodes well for me. Some of these stories I've mentioned in other threads, but it seems like they all should go in one.

The car comes with a 30 warranty. First thing was to get the "cruise not available/check rear lights" warning taken care of. With help from you guys, I brought it to Carmax and suggested the brake pedal switch. They replaced it along with the rear light socket board (free!) and all is good.

I then took the car to a Jag dealer to perform a recall, and they broke the air intake pipe (with accordion fold) doing the "free inspection." After some discussion, they replaced it (free!). Their free inspection said the front brake pads were worn down a bit too.

Then the "DSC System Fault" warning came on intermittently. I took the car back to Carmax and mentioned the brake wear too. Carmax has a minimum brake pad policy where they will replace brakes if they are below a certain tolerance. Their spec is twice that of what California says is legal for a dealer to sell a car with. They measured and agreed to replace the front pads (brembo). The DSC fault was determined to be the ABS Module, which they are replacing (brakes and module - free!).

Oh, they're also replacing the seatback knob that was missing. (free!) And I get a loaner car (free!)

So, after three weeks, I've spent nothing but I have gotten an awful lot of new parts. I'm hoping this means that I will have a relatively trouble free time for the near future, instead of meaning that I'm in trouble once the warranty runs out. I have an extended warranty, but there is a deductible. The downside is I haven't got as much time in the car as I would like, since it's been in the shop off and on for some time. I've got a week of warranty left, as much as I like free parts, I kind of hope that I'm done for a while!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Sounds like that Carmax dealer is keeping up his end of the bargain.

Hopefully this will be all good when it returns. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 PM

Thanks. I know they farm out some Jaguar stuff to other shops. I have to admit that I'm a little worried about whether they'll do the job right, but that's based on nothing more than the idea that they work on a ton of different kinds of cars

Frankly, it was the Jaguar dealer that screwed the job up, not Carmax. The brake switch repair was done just fine.

I'll post follow ups.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Car is back! New front brake pads, and a new steering angle sensor (not the ABS module as I had been originally told).

The DSC System Fault has not returned (yet), so I think the fix was the right one. It took a full week for the repairs to get done, as parts were ordered and the incorrect part delivered. I was beginning to think I just dreamed that I owned an XKR.

Today I fixed the headrest motor cable issue on the passenger seat. That takes care of all known issues. Thanks to forum members for showing me the way to do that.

The car feels great and I'm looking forward bonding with it some more.

Attached Thumbnails Interesting first month of ownership-img_0917.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My 1 month anniversary is in 3 days for my 01 XK8, purchased from a smal, single location, used car dealer....AS-IS

At 411 miles I got a check fuel cap warning. I checked it and wet the dry seal with a small amount of vasoline. When it reappeared, the CEL appeared with it. I cleared it with a code reader.

At 777 miles, the ABS light illuminated. I cleaned all wheel sensors but the problem was obviously with the L rear (the last one I cleaned, natch). The funk on that one was beyond belief. I didn't think I was going to be able to clean it, but when I got the price on a replacement ($244), I re-visited my perseverance and got her cleaned up.......and that was that, no more light for 500+/- miles.

I still need to do the trouble shooting preceedure for the EVAP sys and am confident I can tackle that....I just keep clearing the code (and CEL) untill I get around to doing it. I HATE looking at that damn light.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Datru
I got an 04 XKR about 6 months ago. You might want to get the toe in/ Camber checked. Mine eat the inside of the front tire up very quickly without any warning. After reviewing the threads, this is a common problem (caused by aging of the shock mount and other frontend bushings) but can be semi-corrected by setting the toe-in to the max allowable. The two other areas that might bite you are the microswitches inside the door latches and the common coolant leak in the expansion tank (if you smell coolant, check the bottom of the expansion tank first). This forum covers all these issues very thoroughly
THanks
Pete
04 XKR

The following users liked this post:
Datru (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Well done! Sounds like you got a good example, and hopefully have got all the nuances worked out within the warranty period. Good service. Welcome and happy motoring.

(I also have been feeling like I dream-own a XKR lately as mine has been down for the top hydraulic lines for a month now. Should get it back on the road next week.)