XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag on a decent trip at last

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Jag on a decent trip at last

Took the XKR on her first decent trip of a thousnad miles last weekend to Estes Park Colorado. Had the Mrs along for a nice weekend break. I was a little aprehensive that my other true love might embarress herself during the drive. But no, my 2006 "R" was faultless, surprisingly the Mrs was pretty impressed too! Overall mpg was 22.5; I purposely didn't baby her along, set the cruise on 70 on the Highway, 80 on the interstate. Did a few high speed pulls to around 140, which is quite frankly pretty astonishing for a car this heavy. It was in the mountain though it all came together. Traffic dictated a conservative pace, but my word at 10,000 feet plus that supercharger really earns its keep, fabulous torque! It surprised me too in the twisties, minced it up with a Subaru WRX for a few miles, I rather imagined the Suby might get away with lighter weight and four wheel drive, but not a chance! They Jag was all over it, the matrimonial speed limiter was fully engaged however, and I was getting an ear full, so I gave him a double flash and a thumbs up, to which he gave me the nod, good sporting fellow. One area of the performance that really imprssed me was the amount of engine braking that can be achieved using the "J Gate" box to exploit the compression. We got four questions from the admiring or maybe just curious public, the best was a gas station guy who just stood there and said to my wife "Wow, is that a Jag?" even the wife started to "get it".

Anyway, long story short a simply stunning automobile. But the very best part of the whole trip was this....we didn't see a single XK! Plenty of 911s, boatloads of BMW and Audi, that has to be worth the price of admission, and all during Jubilee week, made me right proud to be British!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

That's a great trip and story. It has re-inspired me to finish planning our trip through Colorado from Arizona next Spring.
Thanks!

BTW: Matrimonial Speed Limiter? ROTFLMAO!

Last edited by beg3yrs; 06-12-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added content
The following users liked this post:
Blackhillsjag (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice story. I'm taking mine to eastern Washing this weekend. It's the only place were there will be sunshine. I had mine up to 125 mph last year , but chickened out after thinking about it. 85 degree weather and golfing for me this weekend.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Nice story, I think I'll have to take my wife for a drive soon and see if the penny will drop.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Travel time!

Great story! I'll be joining in the adventure on the morning of the 21st of June. I'll take the mechanically reconditioned 2000 XKR convertible on a long trip. I'll leave Tucson, Arizona, making my way to Boulder, Colorado, then to Kansas City, Missouri and straight back to Tucson by way of Texas.

Aw yeah... bring on the miles!

This will be my very first trip in the car. I have had my mechanic install all new suspension and bushings plus alignment, oil change to synthetic, coolant hoses everywhere (including underneath the supercharger), new alternator, new bearings installed into the idler pulley, new radiator, and reconditioned Sybesma's rear view mirror. In the next couple of days, the new mini-subwoofers go in to replace the factory units along with a new antenna mast and possibly door speakers.

Hopefully, I won't have to stop due a mechanical break down... I've had a lot of work done. =)

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 06-12-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats awesome, I did similar after just 2-3 days of ownership.

BTW: You note heavy/weight of this car.....what is heavy?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
Great story! I'll be joining in the adventure on the morning of the 21st of June. I'll take the mechanically reconditioned 2000 XKR convertible on a long trip. I'll leave Tucson, Arizona, making my way to Boulder, Colorado, then to Kansas City, Missouri and straight back to Tucson by way of Texas.

Aw yeah... bring on the miles!

This will be my very first trip in the car. I have had my mechanic install all new suspension and bushings plus alignment, oil change to synthetic, coolant hoses everywhere (including underneath the supercharger), new alternator, new bearings installed into the idler pulley, new radiator, and reconditioned Sybesma's rear view mirror. In the next couple of days, the new mini-subwoofers go in to replace the factory units along with a new antenna mast and possibly door speakers.

Hopefully, I won't have to stop due a mechanical break down... I've had a lot of work done. =)
Hi Jeff. What part of Texas will you be in?

EZDriver

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

enjoyed the read blackhills!

The following users liked this post:
Blackhillsjag (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Hi Cerberus,
With respect to your weight observation....the XKR is @ 4000lbs which is pretty portly for a two seat convertible, granted it has two rear seats for amputees but that is pretty heavy compared to other marks targeting the same market segment. Actually its essentially the same weight as the old Xj6 (xj40). With the new model much of the performance increase is down to reduced weight, as it's an all aluminium body, albeit with a 20hp increase.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Actually had mine up to 160 on the trip home, and with the wife on board, she got really quiet, then gave me "that" look, like they do! Interestingly it was slowing up, no sign of the limiter, just ran out of road!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Sorry I meant to Not slowing up

Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Wow! You really did do some work, good for you! I dont remember which member said this but it is so true. Essentially he said owning a Jag is like owning a horse, if you dont mind taking care of it, it will always be a pleasure, or words to that effect. I like to do most work myself, but for me as an expat it is special to have something nice in the garage that was made in England, plus it has three royal seals!