XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XKR radiator fan vibration

Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XKR radiator fan vibration

Hello Gents,

I have a new problem with my XKR. Stopping her after a long drive, I heard a lot of vibration when I drove into the garage. The left fan in the radiator housing was vibrating like crazy. I'm not sure if it's the bearing inside or harmonic vibration from the housing since there is a missing screw or bolt on the top left side, I've noticed hole.

Can anyone identify what kind of bolt or screw I need to fix my loose radiator fans?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

The Cooling Fans /Cowl assembly is secured with two M6 nuts (item 3):

Jaguar XKR radiator fan vibration-xk8-cooling-fans.jpg

(click on the diagram to enlarge it)

It's unusual to lose the nut. More often the nut together with the stud it fixes to works loose and falls out.

The Radiator is fixed with 5 torx screws (item 10) through the Mounting Panel (item 9):

Jaguar XKR radiator fan vibration-xk8-radiator.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Loss of one of these shouldn't give rise to excessive vibration. Any one or more of the Mounting Bushes (item 6 & 7) failing or the moulded pegs on the radiator (arrowed in red) breaking, allows the Radiator to vibrate.

Graham

Old 08-17-2021, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The Cooling Fans /Cowl assembly is secured with two M6 nuts (item 3):

Attachment 49244

(click on the diagram to enlarge it)

It's unusual to lose the nut. More often the nut together with the stud it fixes to works loose and falls out.

The Radiator is fixed with 5 torx screws (item 10) through the Mounting Panel (item 9):

Attachment 49241

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Loss of one of these shouldn't give rise to excessive vibration. Any one or more of the Mounting Bushes (item 6 & 7) failing or the moulded pegs on the radiator (arrowed in red) breaking, allows the Radiator to vibrate.

Graham
Does anyone have a source or part number for number #12 in the diagram Graham posted. I've been struggling to find it or anything like a replacement... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I lost one of those square-headed bolts a little over three years ago while pulling the alternator for refurbishment and replacing the serpentine belt at the same time. I wound up using a similar-sized brass bolt and washer from my loose screws-and-nuts collection. The replacement bolt was not square-headed but the matching washer I utilized fit snugly down into the slot where the square head goes. It is still holding firm today....

I hoped that the lost OEM bolt would show up underneath the car but alas it never did....

Old 08-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
I lost one of those square-headed bolts a little over three years ago while pulling the alternator for refurbishment and replacing the serpentine belt at the same time. I wound up using a similar-sized brass bolt and washer from my loose screws-and-nuts collection. The replacement bolt was not square-headed but the matching washer I utilized fit snugly down into the slot where the square head goes. It is still holding firm today....

I hoped that the lost OEM bolt would show up underneath the car but alas it never did....
Got ya. This is for the XKR I've been working on. On my XK8 I swear I did something similar to what you've described, and like you, with success. For some reason I've been struggling to get that same idea to work in the XKR. More, due to the proximity of the belts, pulleys and moving bits I'm a bit more afraid of a failure on the XKR. You know, the bolt turns itself loose and then, all hell breaks loose. I would love to get my hands the right fasteners.

When I try to use a bolt, buy the time I get the nut snugged down, everything is spinning...

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (08-19-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Does anyone have a source or part number for number #12 in the diagram Graham posted. I've been struggling to find it or anything like a replacement... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JZB100066. 'Someone' had lost one from my car and replaced it with a filed-down bolt.

Heritage carries them for less than $1, so best get your order in quick. They'll be flying off the shelves

Old 08-17-2021, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
JZB100066. 'Someone' had lost one from my car and replaced it with a filed-down bolt.

Heritage carries them for less than $1, so best get your order in quick. They'll be flying off the shelves
BeaUUUUtiful, Brotha! Thank you. Just ordered 6 of them. I'll use the two,,, then loose the other 4 in a bin somewhere, lol... To be discovered in 3.7 years. Jus the way it is...

Thanks Michael!