XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 2000 Xk8, a few issues... intermittent low oil pressure light, trac, abs

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy Just bought 2000 Xk8, a few issues... intermittent low oil pressure light, trac, abs

hey everyone just wanted to get some input on a few issues that I have with my new xk8 i bought yesterday...
trac not available
abs not avail
and more importantly the low oil pressure red light comes and oil pressure gauge goes to red area then back up to middle of gauge. happens intermittently for a few seconds then it shoots right back up to the middle of the gauge... is this just a sensor problem along with the other trac and abs sensors?

really appreciate the help guys, don't want to do any damage to this beauty

Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiianjag
hey everyone just wanted to get some input on a few issues that I have with my new xk8 i bought yesterday...
trac not available
abs not avail
and more importantly the low oil pressure red light comes and oil pressure gauge goes to red area then back up to middle of gauge. happens intermittently for a few seconds then it shoots right back up to the middle of the gauge... is this just a sensor problem along with the other trac and abs sensors?

really appreciate the help guys, don't want to do any damage to this beauty
The oil Pressure Sensor is on-off switch that indicates low oil pressure at a specific pressure. It could be out of calibration, needing replacement. The Gauge is only a ok-not ok indicator (center of gauge = ok, red = signal from switch absent.)

Abs & Trac error probably means a bad solder connection in abs unit. Check Stickys for how to fix.

The following users liked this post:
hawaiianjag (10-30-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Thumbs up

thanks for the fast reply. it turns out the oil was very low, i should have checked that before the drive home from dealer. never trust that they are looking out for you best interests. havent seen the low oil light since putting in a few quarts (fingers crossed)
aloha

Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Collecting a vehicle with very low oil level does ring few alarm bells.

Unless you have proof of the oil changes being carried out to the service schedule, an oil and filter change gives the the peace of mind knowing exactly what is protecting your precious V8.

Graham

hawaiianjag (10-30-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

And watch for little puddles after sitting for awhile, I'm guessing the dealer didn't just save a few bucks by only putting just enough oil in the car to get you out the door. It had to go somewhere. Look for a leak on the cooler line, passenger side. Classic point of seepage turn dribble.

hawaiianjag (10-30-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

If you got it from a Dealer shouldn't he be responsible for fixing these problems?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Default thanks guys

thanks for the input everyone. I got her from a used dealer that purchases trade ins from the Jaguar dealer so I am guessing they dont care as much about their reputation. I told the salesman their mechanic just lost a possible repeat customer because of the car being 4-5 qts low.
The oil is holding that I put in until I can get a change done and I am just about to do a filter change and oil change.

I do get a flashing ASC warning light and the car looses power for a second before accelerating normally. Almost all the time I have the ABS light on and TRAC not Available as well as ASC not Available.
I have been reading that it could be simple as corrosion on the sensors to the wheels? Would this be only in the front or could be the back as well?
Or it could be that my battery is on its way out ive read... any other issues these lights could point to?
very much appreciated everyone.
proud

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiianjag
thanks for the input everyone. I got her from a used dealer that purchases trade ins from the Jaguar dealer so I am guessing they dont care as much about their reputation. I told the salesman their mechanic just lost a possible repeat customer because of the car being 4-5 qts low.
The oil is holding that I put in until I can get a change done and I am just about to do a filter change and oil change.

I do get a flashing ASC warning light and the car looses power for a second before accelerating normally. Almost all the time I have the ABS light on and TRAC not Available as well as ASC not Available.
I have been reading that it could be simple as corrosion on the sensors to the wheels? Would this be only in the front or could be the back as well?
Or it could be that my battery is on its way out ive read... any other issues these lights could point to?
very much appreciated everyone.
proud

Have your battery load tested first. If it is weak it can have you chasing other problems as well unecessarily. Many places that sell batteries will do it for no charge.

hawaiianjag (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Have your battery load tested first. If it is weak it can have you chasing other problems as well unecessarily. Many places that sell batteries will do it for no charge.
thank you for the advice I will start there.
Aloha

Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

If you get the ABS light and ASC before you even move the car out of park, more than likely the ABS module has the internal circuitry problems. 9 of 10 send off their units to be 'rebuilt', under $200 IIRC, and all there troubles are cured. Leaking capacitors, solder points breaking, little stuff inside. Do a search for module rebuilders on the forum, you're surely to find a thread noting the name(s) of said companies. You can pull the module yourself, its not difficult.

hawaiianjag (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
If you get the ABS light and ASC before you even move the car out of park, more than likely the ABS module has the internal circuitry problems. 9 of 10 send off their units to be 'rebuilt', under $200 IIRC, and all there troubles are cured. Leaking capacitors, solder points breaking, little stuff inside. Do a search for module rebuilders on the forum, you're surely to find a thread noting the name(s) of said companies. You can pull the module yourself, its not difficult.
many thanks for all the helpful posts over the years h20boy. you have helped me a lot with my xj6 and I wont forget.
much aloha

Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran member

one of these days I'll make it to the islands and you can show me all of the best spots that tourists don't normally get to see...maybe buy me a tropical drink while talking about our cars.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
one of these days I'll make it to the islands and you can show me all of the best spots that tourists don't normally get to see...maybe buy me a tropical drink while talking about our cars.
definitely will happen if you come to oahu. tropical drinks are always flowing and the waves are getting big this time of year. gotta wax her up soon with all the salt in the air

Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 xk8 convertible fault codes

Bought a 2000 xk8 4 months ago with 45,000 miles and have several fault codes more up: TRAC, ASC failure, gear box failure, failed safe engine mode....

Help!

In reading some posts, some say to make sure battery is good.... Where do you buy a jaguar battery without paying through the nose at a jaguar dealership in Atlanta?

Any other recommendations?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Autozone, Advance Auto, Interstate dealers and Sears all carry batteries that fit the vehicle. If you drive it at least a few miles a couple of times a weak a standard battery will be fine. If it is not driven for weeks at a time get an AGM battery.

Also, try to get the vent kit for the battery. For safety, since it is in the trunk, it should be vented.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

HawaiianJag, welcome to the XK8 world from Maui. Hope you get everything worked out OK. Have had my XK8 for a year this month and this forum has been a life saver not to mention a money saver. Mines been relatively trouble free but there I go jinxing it. Aloha

Old 04-30-2015, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmette
Bought a 2000 xk8 4 months ago with 45,000 miles and have several fault codes more up: TRAC, ASC failure, gear box failure, failed safe engine mode....

Help!

In reading some posts, some say to make sure battery is good.... Where do you buy a jaguar battery without paying through the nose at a jaguar dealership in Atlanta?

Any other recommendations?
Welcome to the forum, Emmette. When you resolve the battery issue, I will help you by reading any codes that are stored if you can drive to Douglasville. Do you know if the secondary chain tensioners have been replaced?

Please visit the new member area and introduce yourself:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

sklimii (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information. Sorry for posting on old thread-couldn't figure out how to start new thread. I think I know now....

Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Buy a interstate battery, they have a great warranty and most importantly when they rate cold cranking amps, the battery actually has the rating or higher. Very important the more modules and other electronics on cars as they get newer.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

bought the top line battery at autozone and it has an 8 yr warranty due to some issues they were having... am on my third (I probably killed the first 2 ) and its working fine. take up rj on his offer great guy. also there is a good shop in douglasville if you need something you cant handle done.(wizard automotive)

Quick Reply: Just bought 2000 Xk8, a few issues... intermittent low oil pressure light, trac, abs