XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought cream puff 97 XK8 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just bought cream puff 97 XK8 Questions

First off thanks for being here it's a great help for the average guy and makes owning one of the machines possible.

Ok I just bought a real nice 1997 XK8 with 54k miles and have spent the last bunch of hours reading here, and water pump and timing chain tensioners are at the top of the list. I got the water pump under control by finding the current part #, but I'm confused on what to do if the tensioners are not updated.

Should I replace both primary and secondary or just the primary? Or apparently there is a kit to change the chains and the tensioners. What is the best way to go or the smart way to go?

Also, while the car drives real nice I notice a very slight shake in the steering wheel on some bumps, any ideas on what to look for is appreciated.

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll be back for more.

FYI I'm not an expert at anything, but I have spent the last 35 years in the liquid paint and powder coating industry and would be glad to help with any paint and coating issues.

Thanks

Charlie Pace

Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Welcome to the site.
I would make the tensioner fix your priority. Don't get the parts from Jag. They are used in the same years Linc's. I forget which, someone will chime in from here. As you noted get the water pump and thermo housing replaced also while they are in there. And to that note maybe even have the serpentine belt tensioers replaced also. May not need it but they will be in there, save a little jack and get some pc of mind.
Is that wheel shake when the top is down? Mine did that and does still a little when top is down, I chalked that up to it just being a convert. BUT I did have mine still looked at and it was bad bushings on the front sway bar. Had those replaced, MUCH BETTER.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Also, it she ever starts overheating get it off the road and stopped as soon as possible. Over heating is not a friend of the early years of these body run.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by charliepace
First off thanks for being here it's a great help for the average guy and makes owning one of the machines possible.

Ok I just bought a real nice 1997 XK8 with 54k miles and have spent the last bunch of hours reading here, and water pump and timing chain tensioners are at the top of the list. I got the water pump under control by finding the current part #, but I'm confused on what to do if the tensioners are not updated.

Should I replace both primary and secondary or just the primary? Or apparently there is a kit to change the chains and the tensioners. What is the best way to go or the smart way to go?

Also, while the car drives real nice I notice a very slight shake in the steering wheel on some bumps, any ideas on what to look for is appreciated.

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll be back for more.

FYI I'm not an expert at anything, but I have spent the last 35 years in the liquid paint and powder coating industry and would be glad to help with any paint and coating issues.

Thanks

Charlie Pace
Hi Charlie,

Most people change only the secondary tensioners to the third generation (metal bodied) of tensioner. Once again, do it ASAP.

Dan

The following users liked this post:
charliepace (12-07-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks guys I'm off and running, good to know I don't need the $600 kit, but why not change both primary and secondary while you got it apart? Where's the best place to buy the parts? And the steering wheel shake is both top up or down.

Thanks

charlie pace

Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You can get the tensioners from Ford for a LS Lincoln. One fellow mentioned doing so and they came in a box marked Jag.

charliepace (12-07-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by charliepace
Thanks guys I'm off and running, good to know I don't need the $600 kit, but why not change both primary and secondary while you got it apart? Where's the best place to buy the parts? And the steering wheel shake is both top up or down.

Thanks

charlie pace
Because repalcing the primaries require removal of the timing cover, which necessitates removing all pulleys and many driven accessories at the front of the engine...it is a much, much bigger job than just pulling the valve covers for the secondaries.

This thread has the Ford part numbers: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37415

Look in the 'Suspension' section of this FAQ for hints on your steering wheel shake problem:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=29800

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-05-2010 at 07:31 PM.
charliepace (12-07-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks a bunch I'm off to work.

charliepace

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase, as you already know there's a wealth of information here and a great bunch of contributors.
This car will keep you smiling
Doug
2001XKR Silverstone

charliepace (12-07-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Regarding the tensioners, I would do it today or tomorrow at the latest. As for the shake, not sure if it's the same thing but I had one and it went away after a wheel alignment and tire balance.

charliepace (12-29-2010)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find. I have owned a '97 convertible for almost a year now and enjoy driving it immensely; working on it, not quite as much fun, but the folks on this forum have been extremely helpful whenever I've posted an issue. One thing I would advise you to check is the mating between the trunk lid and the rubber gasket that rings the trunk opening. My car was parked outside during a very heavy downpour, water was driven past the gasket, into the trunk, shorted the SLC module at the bottom of the fuse box and rolled the rear quarter windows down (yes, while it was raining) and flooded the floorboards and drenched the back seat. I added some foam weatherstrip to the trunk lid to restore the seal with no further leakage, although I do direct the water hose at the trunk lid every time I wash the car just to make sure.
Also, keep a hot battery in it at all times. Even slightly low batt voltage can cause odd things to occur. Good luck and enjoy your car !!

charliepace (12-29-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Wheel shake is probably tires. If a Hunter Roadforce balance does not fix it; then you will want to look at the front suspension bushings starting with the upper A-arms and/or lower ball joints. The wheel bearings on the early models are undersized and might be a source of wobble. Later years used larger front bearings.

Check out my early posts. I went through the whole front end after I first bought the car with only 60,000. I was trying to find the last bit of steering wheel shake, which it turns out is part of the convertible flex, not caused by bad or worn parts.

charliepace (12-29-2010)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Great info, thanks guys.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM

I changed my primary and secondary tenssioners along with the chains. I felt that single chain may have stretched over time and wile I was at it I should do everything. I have no reason to belive that this is the best course of action other then I know that it is really expensive to repair the engine if somthing goes wrong.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Charliepace:
I must also address the tensioner issue as my car came without records. I'll be pulling the left valve cover to eyeball my tensioners, as they may or may not have been changed. Then I'll order the parts/gaskets--letting the car sit until parts arrive.

http://www.tituswillfordparts.com and Tousley Ford Parts @ 800-328-9552 claim to have the lowest prices on the internet--and I believe it. They beat my local dealer $25 each--around $52 each for secondary tensioners for Lincoln LS 3.9 engines. You don't want to know what a Jag dealer has to charge for same parts.
Ford PN 2W9Z6K254BA Right Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)
Ford PN 2W9Z6K254CA Left Secondary metal bodied Tensioner (1 required)
Ford PN W500301S300 Bolt (4 required)

The forum generally suggests the metal impellar waterpump, the aluminum thermostat housing (RockAuto.com) and a new thermostat be addressed at the same time.

I'd suggest not getting the valve cover gaskets from Ford, as 96-98 engines have slightly different gaskets than 99 and up. There are other sources online for gaskets.

With the valve covers off, you'll be almost looking at the spark plugs. Most members suggest changing plugs--looking for any oil pooling on the plugs.

Good luck.