XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lack of lubrication

Just went through my old dealer repair receipts. $361 to replace steering column tilt motor in April of '07. Followed Mish-Mish's suggestions for a DIY. I would like to add to his proceedure the removal of the driver seat. Not being that flexible anymore I kept hiting the power seat buttons. I was afraid of blowing a fuse or burning out the motors. The motor was easy to remove. After opening the potentiometer end I found the plastic gear and shaft that turns the potentiometer was very stiff to turn. Using what ever excess grease I found inside the unit I regreased all plastic to plastic contact points. I kept spinning the shaft until it turn freely. I added some white lithium grease to the gear that exits the unit. I didn't do anything to the bent washer as Mish-Mish suggested. I had left the steering column in the full up position before starting the repair. I put power to the motor and used the manuel switch to turn the motor so it stopped in the full up position. Every thing is working fine. $361 just because of a lack of lubrication. If I have to do this again in a few years I'm still ahead of the game. Thanks again to Mish-Mish and all great minds in this forum. Jack

Old 09-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pophen
Just went through my old dealer repair receipts. $361 to replace steering column tilt motor in April of '07. Followed Mish-Mish's suggestions for a DIY. . . . . . Thanks again to Mish-Mish and all great minds in this forum. Jack
Hi Jack - I am very interested in your reference to a suggestion by Mish-Mish re 'tilt motor' removal. I am new to the forum and may not yet have got the hang of post search but at any rate, I have not been able to find the post I assume you are referring to. Can u point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Near top of page click Search, click advanced search on drop down menu. On search page enter Mish_Mish in the search by user box. highlight threads started by user. Near bottom of page hightlight XK8/XKR press go. I think your looking for the 3rd thread down. This may not be the easiest but it's how I found it. Jack

Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pophen
Near top of page click Search, click advanced search on drop down menu. On search page enter Mish_Mish in the search by user box. highlight threads started by user. Near bottom of page hightlight XK8/XKR press go. I think your looking for the 3rd thread down. This may not be the easiest but it's how I found it. Jack
Got it, thank you very much. I had been looking for Mish-Mish rather than Mish_Mish!