XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean or Running Lean or Too Lean

Old 08-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lean or Running Lean or Too Lean

Sorry for the vague title. But, I am going off the information my wife gave me before the flatbed towed her car to the dealership. She said it started running rough and then just quit. She connected the code scanner and something "Lean" showed up. I tried to scan for codes again, but for some reason, the code scanner would not complete the test. At this point, the car will start for a moment and it runs poorly before it quits. I read through some threads and saw everything from possible vacuum leaks, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. However, I did not see where anyone's car would not stay running.

2002 XK8

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer up.

Jamie

Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

A big enough leak can mean the fuel mixture just isn't rich enough to keep running.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
A big enough leak can mean the fuel mixture just isn't rich enough to keep running.
Thank you!

Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

Let us know what the dealer says. It sounds like it may be more than a mixture problem.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the bottom of the accordion tube running from the air filter box to the throttle body. They're prone to failure over time.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

^^ Agreed. They crack and split in the accordion pleats after years of age and heat cycles. It can be difficult to see the cracks and splits unless you remove the air duct (easy to do) and stretch it slightly by pulling it in opposite directions with both hands while looking at the pleated section....

My wife's 2006 XK8's air duct had cracked and split in the pleats by September 2012 when I discovered the issue and replaced the air duct with a new one (about $125 at the time). Some folks choose to tape up the cracked pleats using good-quality electrical tape after a thorough cleaning and drying of the area to be taped up....

Old 08-19-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by max224
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the bottom of the accordion tube running from the air filter box to the throttle body. They're prone to failure over time.
Thank you I will check the accordion tube for cracks.

Brief update - I was told be the dealer that the car started up the next morning and ran perfectly as they drove it into the service bay. They then said that there were no codes showing up. Is there anything heat related that could cause this? My wife was sitting in traffic on a hot day when this occurred. hen the car starts right up after cooling down over night. Is it possible that this could be a vapor lock situation?

I asked them to check for vacuum leaks, to check the fuel pressure and the fuel quality.

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Jamie

Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JCam
Thank you I will check the accordion tube for cracks.

Brief update - I was told be the dealer that the car started up the next morning and ran perfectly as they drove it into the service bay. They then said that there were no codes showing up. Is there anything heat related that could cause this? My wife was sitting in traffic on a hot day when this occurred. hen the car starts right up after cooling down over night. Is it possible that this could be a vapor lock situation?

I asked them to check for vacuum leaks, to check the fuel pressure and the fuel quality.

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Jamie

Update from the dealer - After two days of not finding any issues, the dealer finally took the car out in the heat of the day for stop and go driving and they finally got the car to fail. Luckily, it failed in the service parking lot and they were able to immediately start checking the car over. They discovered that the fuel pump was pumping fuel even though it had power. They plan to replace the fuel pump tomorrow. We are hoping this will solve the issue and get my wife back into to her classy ride.

Thanks for your help.

Jamie

Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

I am having the exactly same issue. Changed the upper (up rated version) pulley and car is having very poor mpg depsite car runs higher MPH at the lower RPM.

Car can reach to 70 miles at only a little above 2000 RPM.

Getting on warning light as well.

Please advise