XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Coolant Light wont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant Light wont turn off

My 2001 XKR is starting to exhibit some senior citizen aches and pains. At 16 years old with only 99k on the odometer small problems are popping up.

The latest is my "low coolant light" Light has been intermittent for months now. Car stated running hot so brought it in to mechanic. The coolant reservoir never was low in coolant, turned out the overheating was caused by a bad thermostat.

Issue now is the coolant light will not go out. Mechanic said the overheating fried it. He replaced the sensor but that did not work. After some research he said the entire reservoir needs to be replaced to fix it.

I would prefer not to replace the reservoir since it works fine. Is there a way of turning the warning message off. Unplugging the sensor does not do it. I always check my fluids so I really dont need to message.

Thanks

Gary
2001 XKR Convertible

Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a 1999 XK8 and I had a hard time keeping the low coolant light off. It seemed like I couldn't add more than a table spoon of coolant at a time.The reservoir is always full as is the thermostat housing...or so I thought. I finally figured it out. I do not know about your year, but mine has an upper radiator hose that will "go flat" when the engine is cool, so it has a limited or no coolant in the hose. Try this- Take your thermostat cap off AND take off the reservoir cap. Put the coolant, with the engine off, into the thermostat housing and gently squeeze/release the upper radiator hose until you can't put any more in. Then replace both caps. I did this and my low coolant light has stayed off for a couple months now.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You need a reservoir. The float inside with time no "floats" and sinks to the bottom and stays there.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/low-coolent-light-stupidity-me-176974/

Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 AM

I'm not positive but I think the low coolant sensor has to be arched/shorted out to make the light go away.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by om28v
i'm not positive but i think the low coolant sensor has to be arched/shorted out to make the light go away.
no not correct

Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Ok Brutal. I certainly am not an authority on electronics.
My thinking is the sensor is an either open or closed circuit to trigger that light.
I would not advocate bypassing the sensor, but I feel the light on is quite unnerving.
I obsessed over getting it off. I feel many of us Jaguar owners are ocd to some degree, and in a good way. My girl is OCD and it has it's good merits at times, until you're trying to find something that was "put away".
I have had hundreds of mechanics over the years. Many have been correct, many many more have been wrong.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM

I never recommend not having a functioning level light cause you have no warning of coolant loss and temp sensors don't read air. They read liquid.
the sensor reads the magnetic imbedded in the float as it goes up and down in the reservoir. Its usually never the sensor but a float stuck or bad and sinks to the floor

Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Om28v
Ok Brutal. I certainly am not an authority on electronics.
My thinking is the sensor is an either open or closed circuit to trigger that light.
I would not advocate bypassing the sensor, but I feel the light on is quite unnerving.
I obsessed over getting it off. I feel many of us Jaguar owners are ocd to some degree, and in a good way. My girl is OCD and it has it's good merits at times, until you're trying to find something that was "put away".
I have had hundreds of mechanics over the years. Many have been correct, many many more have been wrong.
And btw Im in Damon if you really need a Jaguar tech that knows what theyre doing. I have a 2400 sqft garage and lift at home. Im right by Brazos Bend state park to that far from you(in Texas terms)

Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 AM

My main Guy is amazing. He talks through stuff with me and when he's wrong we don't even pause, we go forward.
If you feel you can fit a Mexican diff in my car I will come see you after I locate one.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the comments--more work to do

Gary

Old 02-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

The sensor is easy to test with a magnet. Pull the sensor out, stick a magnet to it and the light should go out.

There is a little magnet imbedded in the float that can fall into the tank. Fish around the tank with a screw driver to see if the magnet sticks to it. If it does, get a new tank... unless your hobby is building ships in bottles.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (02-22-2017)