XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucked out??

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Lucked out??

Yesterday, upon leaving the post office, I was approached by an older gentleman, and asked if I would sell my car. He was referred to me by my friend, who owns the used car lot I hang around at, and drink Macedonian moonshine(kinda like Appalachian moonshine, except it will also keep lamps burning in the summer without exploding, while playing cards outside, and grow hair on about almost anything)

To go on, this 70s-ish man offered $8500 for my car, and really liked all my mods, especially the wire wheels, hood, and luggage rack. He also liked how she just kind of rumbled, while sitting there. In our town we rarely lock our doors at home, or shut off our cars for quick stops. We all know each other, and if there is any kind of problem or something out of the ordinary, such as a unlicensed postal inspector, looking to take packages back to Gary, IN with him, someone will usually fill his *** with rock-salt. It sounds cruel, but it is highly effective, and keeps the courts open for real problems.

I turned the man down, but said I will help build him a car to be as least as nice as mine.(I really have nothing but time everyday) I have painted my house so many times, it is probably close to bullet proof. The problem is, that in the last 10 months, our cars have started to substantially gain in value. I knew that it would happen(well was at least 99% sure), but was not expecting it for a couple of years.

Sitting at the kitchen table with this gentleman, looking on my computer, and drinking 2 pots of his coffee, I was unable to find anything that could be used as a starting point for something that would be like my car. I bought my car for $3000, in a farmer's barn, in central Illinois, swept off the hay, and chicken poop, removed some wood planks, and drove her home, with just throwing a battery in her, and filling the tires. The trans survived a whole week, after I got her home, but I was expecting that, after looking at the gunk in the upper trans cooler hose.

The car I am looking for doesn't seem to exist anymore. Just the wheels on my car are over $600 apiece, not including the tyres. My $500 embroidered interior and tonneau cover don't exist anymore. I have just over $6200 in my car, courtesy of Ebay, and the kindness of others. My latest generosity was from a gentleman leaving XK8/Rs, and going back to driving an XJS. He gave me an XKR cold air intake(I'm going to have the local muffler shop mandrel bend me some stainless tubing for it), 2 new XKR coils, 2 smoked side flashers(free to anyone for postage) a ball joint, and tie rod end. All this for just showing up at his apartment in Chicago. This is why I love the Jaguar community! Most everyone is so selfless, and non-judgemental

I don't want to disappoint this guy, but I fear he may have missed the sweet spot, when it comes to purchasing an XK8. My car doesn't even need a paint job anymore, after rolling out the dents, and wet-sanding and buffing where I put touch-up paint. I am very happy. I just hope his expectations are a little lower now, or I won't be able to help him.

I'm kinda bummed, but I hope he will either make adjustments to his expectations, or be happy with his BRG Miata.......Tale of 2 Manufacturers..........Be cool......Mike

Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Have him contact Borg524 in Florida. He may be willing to sell his recently raised-from-the-dead 1997 XK8 for that $8,500 offer!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Have him contact Borg524 in Florida. He may be willing to sell his recently raised-from-the-dead 1997 XK8 for that $8,500 offer!
Thanks Jon89, but he is looking for more of a price similar to what I purchased mine for, as a starting point, so he can build his similar to mine. I wouldn't want Borg524 to lose the chance at making some serious money, to someone he doesn't know.

I'm a real sucker, and I wouldn't want to lose $5000 on a deal with some stranger. It's bad enough to be suckered into a deal like that with family, including lifetime repairs....LOL

My baby sister, who owns 2 Molly Maid franchises in Florida is still driving around her electric green VW sunroof bug, on nice days, and I sold that car to her tearful eyes, for $500 in the mid 80s.

If anyone sees a mint 1776cc, dual carb, lightened flywheel, electric green VW beetle, with a spoiler, and BBS basket weave rims....ugh...flying around St. Petersberg, it would be her. Just to be sure it is her, wait for her to pull the front wheels up at a stop light.

She still looks HOTT for being almost 50, but that $500 warrantied in perpetuity bug is probably going to be the only thing that keeps my family from pulling the plug on me, in the hospital.......Be cool....Mike

Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

I would look for a California car Jaguar XK8 Convertable for sale and have it shipped. They tend to be much cleaner underneath.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Craigslist San Diego and Los Angeles usually have 1 or 2 a week. Anywhere from 3-10K