XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Maintain injectors ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To Maintain injectors ?

I see all sorts of products advertised with various claims. Can anyone chime in with a product that cleans the fuel injectors.... for real. I've heard an entire range of input from, some of the products do your injectors more harm that good, while another product is the best out there, and then there's, "you don't really need to do that. If an injector is good, its good." Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to do everything I can to keep this 1999 with 83k in good running order.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Chevron's Techron product is one of the most respected injector cleaner products available to the average Joe. I've used a 20-ounce bottle of it at every oil & filter change on all of our vehicles for at least a decade primarily because it cleared a dirty fuel injector code on one of my wife's previous Lexus SUVs back in the late summer of 2003....

Most mass-marketed fuel injector cleaning products are viewed as snake oil, but if you do the due diligence on Techron, you may be convinced that it is indeed worth trying. I watch for the buy-one-get-one-free sales at our local Advance Auto Parts stores and then grab four or six 20-ounce bottles at a time, whatever their limit happens to be. Those sales typically bring the cost down to about $6 or $7 per bottle. Not bad at all considering my 6,000-mile oil & filter change intervals....

There is another respected product I've seen others reference here. I believe it is called something like BG-44. Hopefully the folks who know more about it will chime in here....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
ChuckB (06-04-2014), Johnken (05-14-2019)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

i've used both techron OR BG for far-too-many years as an oil-change-time item, depending on the engine (probably not a good idea to mix n match) and have never had a single injector issue.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

If you really want to do it right, remove the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned. Here are the details:

Fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned and flow-tested by Injector RX (WITH PHOTOS)

Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

i myself have never used eny,i just stick with the v plus fuel everytime,always works for me never had eny probs since it came available,or am i just lucky

Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Techron On Sale

As Jon89 suggested, Advance Auto is selling the large bottle of Techron for less than the smaller bottle right now. I don't know how long the sale price lasts, but it's on as of June 5th.
Check the Advance Auto website.
While there are opinions on both sides of the "additive" argument, I can tell you from experience that my wife's Cadillac, with less than 7,000 mile per year on it, required a power fuel system clean for $215 that was not covered by the GM bumper-to-bumper warranty. I was told that the system needed to be cleaned as a normal maintenance item, especially low mileage cars.
(Dislcaimer: I have no affiliation with Advance Auto Parts or Techron.)

Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckB
I see all sorts of products advertised with various claims. Can anyone chime in with a product that cleans the fuel injectors.... for real. I've heard an entire range of input from, some of the products do your injectors more harm that good, while another product is the best out there, and then there's, "you don't really need to do that. If an injector is good, its good." Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to do everything I can to keep this 1999 with 83k in good running order.
Here's a different angle.

Given that maybe only 5% of drivers use additives on a regular basis, the remaining 95% of cars simply rely on nothing more than the additives blended in gasoline. Do a search here to see how complaints there have been about bad injectors on Jaguars. Almost none.

Pretty hard to justify any additive.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Ter, I agree with everything said, abrasion, pollutants, weight*, care getting in/out but also climate play a part, look at how many stateside have lifting leather dashes!?

I was tempted by an anniversary interior like the one you have, but as my X100 had blue perforated leather I know what a pain t is to clean properly, As most cleaners/treatments are white/opaque which meant no matter how careful I was I ended up using a soft toothbrush to unblock the perforation holes,,, which was time consuming.

One of the reasons I went for a car with supersports seats in black which aren't ventilated.

*Am unsure if this is higher than any other marques but, given the age of drivers posting, I suspect most will be beyond the recommended BMI for their height and if that @rse is covered in corduroy they'll be covering a much larger abrasive area ...flame suit on!

Last edited by MarkyUK; 05-13-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Ter, I agree with everything said, abrasion, pollutants, weight*, care getting in/out but also climate play a part, look at how many stateside have lifting leather dashes!?

I was tempted by an anniversary interior like the one you have, but as my X100 had blue perforated leather I know what a pain t is to clean properly, As most cleaners/treatments are white/opaque which meant no matter how careful I was I ended up using a soft toothbrush to unblock the perforation holes,,, which was time consuming.

One of the reasons I went for a car with supersports seats in black which aren't ventilated.

*Am unsure if this is higher than any other marques but, given the age of drivers posting, I suspect most will be beyond the recommended BMI for their height and if that @rse is covered in corduroy they'll be covering a much larger abrasive area ...flame suit on!
Another victim of the "related thread" forum software feature, seemingly designed to direct replies to totally unrelated threads....

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-14-2019)