Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Saturdays

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts
Default Maintenance Saturdays

Saturday's have become maintenance days. Today, with the help of my sister, I flushed the brake fluid on the Silver Bullet. I used Pentosin Super Dot 4 brake fluid. It was rather uneventful in that this was a very easy job. I am glad I got rid of that old gunk out of the system. The new fluid is a very pale light yellow color, whereas the old stuff was a dark amber almost black. I was however, surprised that my pads still have a lot of meat left in them. However, they produce a lot of dust and squeal sometimes. I am looking forward to the day I can swap those out for ceramics.

About 50 miles ago on a Saturday, I replaced the driver's side O2 sensor. About 150 miles ago, I replaced the thermostat and took the opportunity to do a drain/flush and fill of the coolant with new Dexcool. 1000 miles ago I changed the engine oil and filter with Mobile 1 synthetic 5W-30 and the Motorcraft filter. Last week I replaced the HID bulbs with OSRAM Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited D1S bulbs, which has been a night and day upgrade. The week before that, I replaced the high mounted center tail light that forum member kainy sent to me from all the way in Bulgaria. Next week I want to unclog the windshield washer system; or mend if there is a broken hose somewhere. I'm planning to swap out shock mounts, lower shock bushings, anti-roll bar bushings and links, during the Christmas break.

Currently, I still have 3 fluids to replace on the Silver Bullet:
  • transmission fluid and filter
  • differential fluid
  • supercharger fluid
However, on all three of those, the manual states "sealed for life", which we all know is a fallacy. Does anyone know at what mileage should those fluids changed? Which is the easiest to service? I have about 67,000 miles on the Silver Bullet.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

A transmission fluid and filter change at around 70k miles was the recommendation given when we had a forum visit to the highly respected Mackie Automatic & Manual Transmission in Glasgow:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ssions-114845/

I haven't read a manufacturer recommendation for differential fluid change but have seen some horrifying photos of what has come out of XK8's!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks! I looked at the procedure for the transmission fluid and the one for the supercharger oil. I feel fairly confident I can do the supercharger oil on my own without any problems... However, the transmission fluid is more complicated than I would like... I think I will take it to an indie jag mechanic for that one.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I am 65 years old with a prosthetic hip and bad knees. I do not have a lift. I was able to change the transmission filter and fluid without problems in my back yard garage. It's fiddly and messy but not hard

giandanielxk8 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Rick (joycesjag), Wayne (cjd777), and I have changed the ATF in two different ZF 6HP26 transmissions at least five times since July 2013. As long as you can get the vehicle high enough on jack stands to allow you to work comfortably underneath the vehicle, you can do this. The toughest parts of the job are breaking the filler plug free, pumping the fresh ATF into the pan without burning your hand or arm on the hot exhaust pipes, and screwing the filler plug back into place without burning your hand or arm on the hot exhaust pipes. The primary key to being able to complete the job successfully is for two people to be involved. One is underneath the vehicle pumping the fresh ATF into the pan, while the other is in the drivers seat moving the gearshift lever through its various positions while the fresh ATF is being pumped in....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
80sRule (10-23-2018), giandanielxk8 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Rick (joycesjag), Wayne (cjd777), and I have changed the ATF in two different ZF 6HP26 transmissions at least five times since July 2013. As long as you can get the vehicle high enough on jack stands to allow you to work comfortably underneath the vehicle, you can do this. The toughest parts of the job are breaking the filler plug free, pumping the fresh ATF into the pan without burning your hand or arm on the hot exhaust pipes, and screwing the filler plug back into place without burning your hand or arm on the hot exhaust pipes. The primary key to being able to complete the job successfully is for two people to be involved. One is underneath the vehicle pumping the fresh ATF into the pan, while the other is in the drivers seat moving the gearshift lever through its various positions while the fresh ATF is being pumped in....
I've done this in a few 5HP24 (RWD and AWD) and 6HP26 (RWD and AWD) and the two people really is key. I actually bought a cheap pump for pesticide and such and modded it for this by breaking off the end of the handle before the nozzle and adding more hose: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chapin-2-Ga...yer/1000176197

For the supercharger, I've posted here before how I did it, which is like how others do it. I recommend buying the oil kit here as this syringe has been useful on so many different jobs on different cars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-GM-Supe...78faa6&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I just did this last night on my car and it's super simple.

First I put the hood into service mode; then I tied back my intercooler hoses, moved some wires out of the way; do all this gently! I also moved one hose behind the dipstick to just keep it clear. This all took maybe a minute. I left the hard line going from tstat housing to overflow tank, its only a year old, but last time i touched it a year ago...

Then I had access with the 3/16" allen wrench. I just used a small one; no ball end, just one that was short and it was easy as can be, then I used the syringe that came with the kit, but I added a WD40 straw as other posters suggested. I taped the straw in, and put a zip tie around it just to be sure it would stay and not have a vacuum leak. I used this setup on the sucking out part:

It was nasty!

When I got it all out, I removed the WD40 Straw from the setup to just be the syringe and black hose. I filled the syringe with fresh SC Oil, which is a very nice clear oil; and kept using the syringe to fill the SC; it took a few times until finally oil started coming out the fill hole. Then I put the plug back in and I was good to go! Then I removed zip ties and routed everything back where it was. Then reconnected the hood struts to the hood and was done.

All in, this took maybe a half hour. The kit was $30 shipped, but you can get a pair of these bottles for $16 on amazon (just bought to do my XJR) and get a syringe setup much cheaper; but honestly they aren't making a fortune off you selling the kit. Plus less time spent shopping around. I'm reusing this syringe setup though, worked perfectly.

Last edited by 80sRule; 10-23-2018 at 11:48 AM.
giandanielxk8 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

It all sounds good, however, I don't have the proper equipment to lift the Jag high enough. My jacks barely lift the car high enough for jack stands. There are parts of my home which are under constructions, and as such I can only work on the Jag on the street. The ATF is not feasible to me at home at this moment.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,567 Likes on 939 Posts

Re changing the supercharger oil, how does removing the bonnet struts allow more access ? From the photos posted, I don't see how disconnecting them provides any needed room. It looks like the job can be done just as easily leaving the struts attached

what am I missing here ?? (It's usually something plain as day)

Z