XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make some noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Make some noise!!

Alright guys, I've seen alot of people ask what exhaust sounds good but is also quiet. I've seen many replies. Cool. But, being 18, I want my 06 xkr to be loud. Really loud. Like, I heard you coming from 3 blocks away loud. I currently have Mina gallery after cats that have a good tone, I like it, but it doesn't impress me. My previous car was a mustang with full bassani off road x no cats. I loved the way that sounded.... What am I looking for?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Panther
.... What am I looking for?
You're looking for attention.

Seriously though, take a look at the low-cell cats by Nameless Performance. Very well made, a bunch of these guys are running them, and your engine's lungs will breathe more freely.

Of course, I don't know if you can pass your state emissions tests with them.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Mine is probably one of the louder ones on here (although the video seems a little softer than in person) This is moderate acceleration:
2000 Jaguar XK8 - Flowmaster Exhaust - Video 2 - YouTube

Here is the full writeup: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-40s-37811/

I wanted aggressive without obnoxious and I think I got it. Now that I've had it for a while, I almost wish I went a bit softer, but some nice echo off of buildings puts a huge smile on my face and sure turns some heads.

Since you have the Mina Gallery system now, I'd try to replace the stock center muffler with an X-pipe (I believe the Mina system installs after the center muffler) and, as The Coupe mentions, check out the NP catalysts. I think as long as you are not in the people's republic of Kalifornia, you should be able to pass emissions. Around here there is no worry about emissions, in fact my old Cougar had just headers and glasspacks with no crossover and side exit (that was loud!)

Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Just out of interest, how much is insurance for an 18 year old where you are?

Just out of interest I got a quote to add my 20 year old son onto my insurance. It leapt from £350 to £18,000!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by renaultvation

Just out of interest I got a quote to add my 20 year old son onto my insurance. It leapt from £350 to £18,000!
Is that to insure your new two million dollar Aston Martin?

Seriously, have them run that quote again, it's obviously an error. Someone on the Maserati Life forum said he got a quote of $10,000 for his policy after getting a new GT. It was reduced a few days later to $1300.

What Do You Pay For Auto Insurance - Maserati Forum

Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

It's obvious that the particular insurance company didn't want the business. However, othe companies gave lower quotes, but nothing less than a couple of grand.

Sorry about hijacking the thread!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my opinion and showing my age here... but I want people to notice the CAR from a distance coming towards anyone.. with a nice growl as she goes by!

JAGUAR! Enough said!

NO offense Black.. as I was young too and still have my 68 Impala Convertible that I had at 18!!! Pretty sure that it was 3 blocks loud!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

it's not loud until your neighbor tells you "your car rattles ma' house"

Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Black Panther
Alright guys, I've seen alot of people ask what exhaust sounds good but is also quiet. I've seen many replies. Cool. But, being 18, I want my 06 xkr to be loud. Really loud. Like, I heard you coming from 3 blocks away loud. I currently have Mina gallery after cats that have a good tone, I like it, but it doesn't impress me. My previous car was a mustang with full bassani off road x no cats. I loved the way that sounded.... What am I looking for?
I was very happy with the sounds my car made after this small modification was made.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Mine is probably one of the louder ones on here (although the video seems a little softer than in person) This is moderate acceleration:
2000 Jaguar XK8 - Flowmaster Exhaust - Video 2 - YouTube

Here is the full writeup: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-40s-37811/

I wanted aggressive without obnoxious and I think I got it. Now that I've had it for a while, I almost wish I went a bit softer, but some nice echo off of buildings puts a huge smile on my face and sure turns some heads.

Since you have the Mina Gallery system now, I'd try to replace the stock center muffler with an X-pipe (I believe the Mina system installs after the center muffler) and, as The Coupe mentions, check out the NP catalysts. I think as long as you are not in the people's republic of Kalifornia, you should be able to pass emissions. Around here there is no worry about emissions, in fact my old Cougar had just headers and glasspacks with no crossover and side exit (that was loud!)
Out of curiousity, what would you do to make it a bit softer if you were to do it again?

I'm interested in upping the volume, but I love the interior quiet with the top up while driving to work. My Corvette has Magnaflows and I like the noise on it, but it's louder than I want the Jag to be. I like what I saw on a 06 XKR Coupe on here(guy lives in France and has an awesome lawn) and just want to see what options there are.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Sound

I started with the Mina Exhaust and air intake. Good but still subdued. Then, I installed an x crossover after removing the center silencer. I thought it might be too loud, but instead its a great symphony. Not loud, but bold an authoritative and just right. It sounds great now and a real pleasure to fire it up. Not loud unless you get on it.

Here's some sound clips - some before and after.

Mina Exhaust and Magnaflow Crossover Jaguar 6 XKR - YouTube

The "scream" is a slipping SC belt - since replaced.

Last edited by JamesWalker; 10-28-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Explain sound
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Out of curiousity, what would you do to make it a bit softer if you were to do it again?

I'm interested in upping the volume, but I love the interior quiet with the top up while driving to work. My Corvette has Magnaflows and I like the noise on it, but it's louder than I want the Jag to be. I like what I saw on a 06 XKR Coupe on here(guy lives in France and has an awesome lawn) and just want to see what options there are.
I went with 40 series Flowmasters which are a 2 chamber design. I might have considered going with a 50 series which are a 3 chamber design. I go back and forth on it a little, there are times when I wish the car were a little quieter, but it's never too obnoxious if I don't drive like too much of an idiot

Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I need to get a video up of the XK I am doing at the moment , no exhaust.....straight out of the cats.... obviously an exhaust will be fitted but it sounds awesome, something that should be sitting on a drag strip

Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by renaultvation
I currently pay 600/month for insurance, and then 650/month for the car payment. All my previous cars had a problem with the gas pedal. It wouldn't stay off the floor and police officers had a problem with that but since my valentine1, I've been good haha. And I live in Tampa, Fl.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
I was very happy with the sounds my car made after this small modification was made.
I have this intake on. Its deffinately turned many heads with the scream of the blower))) me gusta

Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by JamesWalker

The "scream" is a slipping SC belt - since replaced.
I feel this is how I want my jag to sound. That's pretty damn awesome honestly. Thanks for the upload..

Why is the belt slipping? On my 04 cobra, I had the same problem. But I was running 17 psi without a tensioner pulley for a while.. How much boost are you on?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Everything else being the same, once the center muffler is gone is there any difference in sound between an X pipe and an H pipe of equal diameters?

Old 10-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

the H is supposed to be slightly 'louder', though its hard to quantify. I have an X, and now in retrospect, I would have gotten an H if I could travel back in time.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
You're looking for attention.

Seriously though, take a look at the low-cell cats by Nameless Performance. Very well made, a bunch of these guys are running them, and your engine's lungs will breathe more freely.
This^

The Jaguar factory cats are responsible for sucking up MOST of the noise, more than even the mufflers.

The first thing I did was remove my center muffler and install a H pipe. It was a bit louder, but the volume across RPM wasn't consistent... so when I would give it full throttle, it would get quiet, louder, quiet, then change gears and do that again every time I went from 1000-3500 rmp.

Next step, I put on the Nameless Performance cats. OMG. It was twice as loud, but really raspy... and just loud and annoying. It still suffered from some RPM modulation but was much louder.

Then I took off the rest of the mufflers, installed a Borla 2x2 center muffler and put on the Mina exhaust... now I'm in heaven.

Driving mellow, it sounds nice and deep and is audible. It has a nice deep throaty exhaust with a fair amount of really beautiful sounding resonance under moderate acceleration. Full throttle? Is pretty much heaven. Ferrari's wish they could sound so nice.

My exhaust sounded so nice that the exhaust guy is now looking around for his own XKR.

I'm pretty sure I have one of the loudest XKRs here.

People turn their heads to see what I am before I even come close to them... I'll try to get a recording done soon.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
the H is supposed to be slightly 'louder', though its hard to quantify. I have an X, and now in retrospect, I would have gotten an H if I could travel back in time.
Do you have one of these? Really lets the sound happen when you open up the throttle! Almost deafening! Best $115 I ever spent...