XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum CAR PC screen size in the center console?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum CAR PC screen size in the center console?

Hi guys,

Im just wondering if someone could measure the size of the centre panel on the dash on a 98 XK8?

Im looking to fit a car pc screen, but dont have the car with me to measure at the moment.

Im looking to either just remove the guages and put a screen in there, or remove the vents aswell and put a large screen in the whole panel.

Would someone be able to measure the size from the bottom of the panel to the bottom of the vents, the width of the panel, and the overall hight of the panel, top to bottom including the vents.

What sort of screen sizes are people installing in their XK8's?

I will be sure to upload a full build thread once i get started!

Thanks for the help
Rich

Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Sounds an interesting project.............

bottom of the panel to the bottom of the vents = 122 mm
the width of the panel = 345 mm
overall hight of the panel, top to bottom including the vents = 190 mm

Graham

Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Thanks Graham!

Im only in Newcastle so you might get a proper look at it!

That means i could squeeze a 10.4" screen in, but i would be worried about it being too overpowering, maybe a 7" an leave the vents in place may be the way to go.

Thanks again
Rich

Old 03-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Fitting a screen under the center vents may not be the best option, speaking from experience. I installed a car pc, do a search here for threads started by me and you fill find my write up and pics. I have a center panel that was initially for a car with the factory nav, and I cut out the hole to fit a 7 inch screen (standard 7 inch diagonal measured lilliput touch screen), and there are a couple of problems. 1) the curvature of the wood panel doesn't look good when the screen is behind it, foamrubber could be used for the gaps, but it isn't ideal. 2) the factory nav panel has the center hole for the screen, then on either side the cut outs for the switches, to get the lilliput to fit, the actual cutout required is about 2 inches wider, requiring some kind of filler panel. 3) I believe the large screen that high on the dash will be very distracting, especially at night. I opted to install the screen below,where the radio is located. I had to relocate the row of switches for the seat heaters, fog lights, traction control, etc into the glove box. This provides the perfectly sized opening for the lilliput (top to bottom). In hindsite, I am very happy it is here, rather than above as I initially planned. Just my 2 cents worth. If you are interested in the center wood trim piece anyhow, let me know, I can post a pic of it and maybe we can work out something... I just think that mounting below is better. Also, If you want any advice or guidance on the car pc components, let me know, I would be happy to share what I learned.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 PM

Hi Steve,

Ive already done a huge amount of research into Car PC's for an earlier project i was doing on an offroader, with almost everything controlled via a relay board, but decided it wasnt a reliable enough option in an offroader with all the dust, mud and water!

As for the panel. Would it be possible to machine the screen to sit flush in the back of the panel? I.e recess the top and bottom of the screen into the back of the curve of the panel so the center sits flat?

And could you elaborate on your point about the buttons on the origional nav? Do you mean they are too widely spaced to be removed with the cut out from the screen?

Thanks for your help
Rich

Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I prefered to fit mine under the vents, I dont like looking down and prefer to glance side ways and to rlocate everything else just felt like too much of a chore, its all personal preference. I fitted my track car screen low down I am still in 2 minds to move it.
A lot also depends on what you want the screen to do, I am not a fan of satnav, it is handy sometimes but not like some numpties who insist on using it everyday from home to work and back again, I dont get that!

I wanted mine mainly for music and to plug in to my OBD port, the trick is to make it look stock

Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I prefered to fit mine under the vents, I dont like looking down and prefer to glance side ways and to rlocate everything else just felt like too much of a chore, its all personal preference. I fitted my track car screen low down I am still in 2 minds to move it.
A lot also depends on what you want the screen to do, I am not a fan of satnav, it is handy sometimes but not like some numpties who insist on using it everyday from home to work and back again, I dont get that!

I wanted mine mainly for music and to plug in to my OBD port, the trick is to make it look stock
Music and satnav in a track car! I must come and watch you racing. LOL

I 100% agree with not liking looking down, I tend to clip a route to the dash.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
Music and satnav in a track car! I must come and watch you racing. LOL

I 100% agree with not liking looking down, I tend to clip a route to the dash.

LOL... Not quite, you will be lucky to hear yourself think let alone to music....... It is so I can watch what the engine is doing, my ECU runs through a laptop and I can watch how the engine is performing

Name:  INT2a.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  28.0 KB

Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
LOL... Not quite, you will be lucky to hear yourself think let alone to music....... It is so I can watch what the engine is doing, my ECU runs through a laptop and I can watch how the engine is performing

I know, its just that I got a mental voice image of the nice lady saying " at the end of Hangar Straight, turn right into Stowe"

Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Yep mounting low down inst really too useful for me as i want to be able to see the nav screen plus change music without having to look too far from the road.

I'll let you know how i get on shortly!

Thanks Guys.

Rich

Old 03-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich.
Hi Steve,

And could you elaborate on your point about the buttons on the origional nav? Do you mean they are too widely spaced to be removed with the cut out from the screen?

Thanks for your help
Rich
What I meant was, if you cut out the opening large enough to fit the 7 inch screen, then you end up larger than needed because the panel also has cut outs on the left and right of the sammeler screen curt out for the buttons on the factory nav, so, you will end up with a larger hole than really needed. Sorry for the delayed response.