Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mis-fire, Restricted performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis-fire, Restricted performance

Hiya guys,

I'm new on here, so haven't worked out how to get a picture of my XK8 onto the profile like you have.

Anyways,today, fuel is running pretty low and the car starts to judder and cut out. It doesn't quite stall but when it stabilised it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders (1998 4.0 V8).

I've done about 10 miles in it this evening and it has done nothing but run lumpy. When it is started it runs sweet for a couple of seconds then drops back to 5 cylinders and the amber light and "Restricted performance" message appears again.

Thanks to this fantastic site and the answers already provided I guess I need to take it to a place where I can get a diagnostic tool plugged in, they can tell me if I need a coil replacing, and I can geta new one on eBay. So far, so good. But. Is this really likely to be the problem? Or could bunging in a whole can of injector cleaner sort it?

Thanks for this advice, and that of how to get a picture put on my file. Thanks!!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Mis-fire, Restricted performance

probobly coils, either they went bad on affected cylinders, and or theyre sitting in oil from the cam cover gaskets leaking oil into the plug wells. restricted performance happens when the misfires are so sever that component damage is likely to result( like toasting your cats) so drive very little, like to auto parts store to pull codes and we can tell you what to do from there

Old 11-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you were on an incline and sucked air in the fuel pickup in the fuel tank, and some other crap from the tank.
Fill er up and add some high quality injector cleaner. not the stuff that costs $5.00, the stuff you need is about $25.00 for a small bottle to treat one tank. if that don't work, get an obdII reader and look at the codes.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: wheeble

I bet you were on an incline and sucked air in the fuel pickup in the fuel tank, and some other crap from the tank.
Fill er up and add some high quality injector cleaner. not the stuff that costs $5.00, the stuff you need is about $25.00 for a small bottle to treat one tank. if that don't work, get an obdII reader and look at the codes.

while not impossible...theres a sock filter on the end of the pump, before it sucks up anything, and a filter after it. So proboblity is slim, pull codes and go from there otherwise youre guessing, thats the nice thing about codes from a check engine light, they give you a place to start and tells you what the ecu saw/see's for a fault and then you diagnose from there..

Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 AM

Thanks! There was 9 miles left on range and i was stuck in traffic on a steep downhill section of road for 30 seconds or so (felt lik longer when you're aching to get to a garage!) Is the petrol pick up at the back of the tank?

I've got a mechanic coming round tomorrow morning to sort out my Rover, and he's bringing a hand held OBD thing with him, so i expect he'll say yep its this that n the other.

Is changing a coil (assuming it comes to that) something I can do or should I just tell him to sort whatever he finds?

Thanks again. Oh, I prefer your site to the English one. How do i get a picture onto my profile, when I try to upload a picture it says too large!!

Thanks

Michaela n Russ

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 AM

on your posts Ill say this for everyone benefit. If youre the type person that likes to run your tank down a 1/3 tank or less before you fill up, keep this in mind. Most of the fuel pumps I replace the fuel tanks(petrol for English friends) are usually 1/3 tank or less. Make it nice for me since I dont have to suck out gas to change the pump. Reason the pump is in the tank....its works less to draw fuel its sitting in, but most importantly the fuel keeps it cool, they get very hot when out in the air and not in fuel to cool. So fill up before you get down to 1/3 or less cause at this point the pump is beggining to become upcovered.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM

That's good advice. I usually run it until there's 10 or 20 miles left in it. Garages are only a couple of miles apart in this part of country so there's rarelya worry. Then I fill it right up. And for a laugh I'll tell you how much it costs me.
Full tank at my local garage at current exchange rates 141USD. Makes me sick!

I'll fill it when it gets to a third from now on. Doesn't cost any more does it.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Dudes!!

Guess what.... It's stopped. All by itself. I took it to work this morning. Drove there like a bag of nails, but came home sweet as a nut. Done 10 miles this evening like a new car again.

How come?! No warning lights, no error messages. Lovely!!

Still gonna have OBD test done.

Let u know how goes.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Think got pictures sorted now...

Old 11-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

This exact same thing happened to me. I added a can of BG 44K to the gas/petrol tank just before a 350 mile trip. I got the reduced performance off and on for about the first 100 miles, then it quit. Have not had it since.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Well. Had the OBDII test done just now. Turns out that Ignition circuit primary and secondary fault comething or other , coil E. So I'm guessing that while the fault may have gone for now, it may be back at some point, and that it's coil E i need to replace.

So, which one is it?!