XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moog Front Sway Bar Links & Auto Parts Kart - Stay Away!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Moog Front Sway Bar Links & Auto Parts Kart - Stay Away!

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd pass on some information that I've learned the hard way. I've been hearing/feeling some bad noises from the right front of my car recently & a little detective work lead me to the front sway bar bushings.

A few hours last weekend proved that the old sway bar bushings were worn out. The new bushings were not fun to install (particularly the driver's side) but I got it done and the difference is better then I hoped.

This got me thinking that with over 112,000 miles, I should probably replace a few other front end parts. I've already done the upper control arm bushings, so I order new lower ***** joints, urethane shock bearings (from Welch), new struts, new tie rod ends, and sway bar links.

I am waiting to get the struts, so I will hold off on everything but the sway bar links until everything is here, as I plan to do those items at the same time and then have an alignment performed.

Yesterday, I went to install the MOOG front sway bar bushings that I had purchased from Auto Parts Kart They do not fit, even though the site says they do. The bottom of the sway bar link is way too big and even if I could bolt it into place, it comes into direct contact with the lower control arm.

Wanting to return the MOOG parts, I went online to Auto Parts Kart's site and went through the RMA return process. A few hours later I receive an RMA email which indicates that I will have to pay return shipping and a re-stocking fee.

Now I'd like to think I'm pretty level headed, but if they are advertising a part as fitting my car & it doesn't, it just doesn't seem right that I should incur any expense to return the parts...

So, off to the telephone, where I first had a 35 minute conversation with a very difficult to understand Auto Parts Kart customer service representative who refused to assist since MOOG also lists the part as fitting a 2000 XK8. Finally, I asked for a Supervisor and was put on hold for 24 minutes.

I again patiently explained my situation and my request that they pay for return shipping and waive any re-stocking fee. After another 35 minutes of debating and arguing, the Supervisor finally agrees to "notate" my account that the re-stocking fee should be waived, but insists that even though he believes me that the part doesn't fit, I should pay the return shipping expenses since MOOG lists the part as fitting on their website too!

Completely frustrated, I got off the phone and filed a complaint with PayPal, who I used to pay for this transaction.... hopefully, they can help me resolve this issue. I know it's probably under $10 to pay for the return shipping, but at this point, at least for me, it's the principle of the situation!

Anyway, just thought I'd pass on my experience with these sway bar links and Auto Parts Kart in case it can be helpful to anyone here!

Last edited by TPBachur; 09-14-2016 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TPBachur:
EZDriver (09-21-2016), Johnken (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Is the difference between the OEM and the MOOG links visibly obvious? Maybe taking a picture and sending that to them will help. It made a difference in my case once.

The following users liked this post:
TPBachur (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 AM

Yes, the difference is very obvious. In fact, I directed them to the photos on their own website which clearly show the difference.

If you click on this link for the MOOG sway bar bushings on their website, you can see all of the sway bar links (front & back) that they sell for the 2000 XK8. Look at the MOOG front sway bar links and then compare them to the Beck/Arnley links. The difference on the one end is obvious and it is what causes the MOOG link not to fit.

I even explained to them that I only purchased the MOOG links because they looked like a heavier duty product and because their website indicated that they fit my car, so I figured it would be an upgrade from the OEM.

The pictures didn't matter to them - their answer to everything was continually - "well, MOOG says they fit on their own website."

Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

The MOOG part actually looks like an inferior design.

They have substituted those two rubber bushes and
piece of pipe for the ball joint found in the original
design which is shown in the Beck Arnley picture.

Not only does it not fit, it is a poorer design for more
money.

As for AutoPartsKart:

How do I make sure the part will fit my vehicle?

You can trust us when it comes to vehicle fitment data. Our research and development team only use ACES & PIES Data from all manufacturers in the U.S. We always double check all orders (including test fit when necessary) to make sure that website recommendations were accurate. We don't process the payment unless order is verified and fitment approved.
but then they weasel out of any meaningful guarantee of accuracy
by saying:

I got a wrong part, who pays for return shipping?

We do not offer return shipping reimbursement regardless of the party at fault. All returns are freight prepaid by the customer.
Does a commercial operation that hides behind an anonymous
domain registration sound trustworthy?

Domain Name: AUTOPARTSKART.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1922573843_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: Website Design and Hosting | Domains | Website Builder | NetworkSolutions.com
Updated Date: 2016-01-29T17:26:23Z
Creation Date: 2015-04-23T11:52:35Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-04-23T04:00:00Z
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@web.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 12808 Gran Bay Parkway West
Registrant City: Jacksonville
Registrant State/Province: FL
Registrant Postal Code: 32258
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.5707088780
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: au3n25wu9fc@networksolutionsprivateregistration.co m

Or, a commercial operation using a Deleware incorporations
agent as a head office address?

CN = www.autopartskart.com
OU = Secure Link SSL
OU = APK Solutions
O = APK Solutions Inc.
STREET = 2711 Centerville Road Suite 120
L = Wilmington
S = DE
PostalCode = 19808
C = US

Google shows 58,500 results for "2711 Centerville Road Suite 120" for various Deleware corporations using that address as
a head office address.

Last edited by plums; 09-15-2016 at 11:09 AM.
TPBachur (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually had a very similar problem with BuyAutoParts.com but I selected the Google Trusted Store option (free) at checkout. When the company wanted me to pay for the return of a non-fitting part, I contacted Google and they waived any fees.

TPBachur (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

AutoPartsKart is also hosted on the Google Commerce Platform, and
has references to the "trusted store" phrase in the home page source code.

TPBachur (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Front Sway bar links @ Rockauto.com - $9.00 - 11.00

I always go to Rockauto first. If they don't have them, they are cheaper elsewhere, so then I start looking.

TPBachur (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've posted "Avoid AutoPartsKart" notices to 2 other forums. And I emailed them to let them know we DON"T appreciate their return policies and I won't be buying from them.

Everyone here should spread the word as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by scardini1:
rothwell (09-15-2016), TPBachur (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:17 AM

Thanks guys for your comments and support. My problem now becomes if I escalate the problem to PayPal, any "return" offer becomes invalid until PayPal completes their investigation, which could take 30 days. In reality, although it is a terrible policy, Auto Parts Kart does state that they do not pay for return shipping under any circumstances, so I think PayPal will have to find that Auto Parts Kart is within their publicly stated policy. Because of this, I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay the return shipping charges and never do business with Auto Parts Kart again...

Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Even if they waive the restocking fee, would the return shipping cost you more than the original purchase? Sometimes it's just easier on the heartburn to throw things away and forget about them.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Well, principle got the best of me and I did end up disputing this transaction with PayPal. After a quick review, PayPal has agreed to provide me a full refund of my original purchase price, but I still have to pay for return shipping... I guess they can only reimburse the initial out of pocket expense. At least this way I am assured to not be charged a re-stocking fee!

cjd777 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I got that moog sway bar link from Carquest a couple of years ago. It definitely does not fit and I wish Moog would remove it from their XK8 listing.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

To be honest I am with the vendor on this one. Most vendors have a return policy clearly stated. If you expect them to pay return shipping you should order from an online vendor that offers "no hassle returns" with free return shipping (usually paying slightly more) or buy from your local auto parts store or dealer (usually paying a lot more).

When you order from a vendor online you are paying less but taking a known risk. I think you should be happy the restocking fee was waived.