XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Window drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Default More Window drop

May I please have some comment about the door ajar microswitch: I read in one of the posts that this switch should be mounted - in effect - with its non-pivoted end facing the door striker opening. In fact, I think that is the way mine was; it is certainly the way the harness 'wants' it to be. The replacement switch fits perfectly, but has a different pivot and slightly different actuator blade (easily bent). After a day of trying to get the switch to operate per the post I was following (the bending / setting of this having to be 'blind', except for an ohmmeter, I concluded that this orientation, at least for the new Burgess-style replacement , is impossible. Further, there is a pretty large bump on the cam (door latch rotating part) that approaches the microswitch as the door closes. I should say here, that I am following a post that suggests that the correct wiring of the switch is such that the contacts are closed any time the door is not completely closed. The Jag electrical training guide shows this switch as open. If they had labeled this Door Ajar all would have been clear. I have now mounted the switch the other way around so that the heel / pivot point is facing the door striker and have the switch contacts per the post. The tip of the microswitch lever is facing the oncoming bump, as the door closes. Sorry for the massive detail... OK, so the question is, to avoid reassembling / hooking all this up only to find I have used the wrong contacts on the switch, may I have confirmation that the door switch is supposed to be open when the door is closed, and that the orientation is correct? Many thanks.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

see here starting at post 6

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

Door closed switch should be open
Door open switch should be closed

Old 12-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Default More window drop

Thanks, Jandreau.
Just to be absolutely certain and confirm what your statement means:
The "Door Switch" (as Jaguar refers to it) microswitch contacts should be closed in any and all conditions, except when the door is fully closed, in which case the switch is to be open?
This would mean that if the draughtsman at Jaguar had been following conventional naming practice, he / she would have named the switch "Door Ajar" because that names the state in which the switch is closed, and the logic 1 is sent to the processor.
I shall proceed!

Old 12-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

That is what they call it in the wiring diagram.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:28 PM

No doubt about it, that is the correct wording. Unfortunately, not having the schematic (is this posted for download for a 2005?) but relying instead on Jaguar publication "Service Training Course 682 Advanced Electrical Systems" I was led astray. All seems to be working correctly again, although I maintain that the only way to make the replacement switch work is by applying it so that the hooked end of the switch actuator faces the oncoming bump of the cam, as the door goes from open to closed. This may be due to the difference in switch construction, or perhaps I misread the original post I followed. I would also advise making the switch completely secure: I did it by tapping the switch holes 4-40, countersinking the plate in order that the csk screws not be significantly proud of the surface, and after drawing the switch up reasonably tight, I applied a plain washer, lock washer and nut to each 3/4" screw. In doing so I pulled the switch body such that the contact behavior was wrong (again) and had to bend the blade a tad more. Thanks to you and everyone else who assisted in what would no doubt have been a lot longer project otherwise.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlastajag1
is this posted for download for a 2005?
Normally, the 2003 wiring diagram applies for all cars 2003 and newer (technically X103).

Old 12-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Thanks! I have downloaded the manual but interestingly, despite the boat - or is it boot-load of electrical information within the manual, I cannot seem to find a schematic that relates to the window drop problem / door ajar microswitch, nor a tree branch that even says 'body electricals' or something of that ilk. The sort of schematic that a Norri's reply showed. Where does this information reside in that 3rd XK8 W/M release?

Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlastajag1
Where does this information reside in that 3rd XK8 W/M release?
I use this: jagxk2003.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Norri (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Many thanks fmertz! Duly downloaded and archived.