XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2001 XKR "issues"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2001 XKR "issues"

This is where I am at. I have a few issues, looking for some help.

Engine light comes on from time to time, this is usually due to a "Check Gas Cap" error. I have both an original "Magnetic" cap, and a newer style cap, neither one seems to make a difference. I have an older code reader and am able to clear this code, and all is well. Ideas?

ABS light is on constantly now. My code reader will not read these codes, so, I can't find any help that way.

Last night I got "Failsafe Engine Mode" code reader showed TPS problem, had to unplug TPS and replug in to get it to stay cleared. This has happened before. Ideas?

ASC and TRAC Not Available error codes are constant now as well.

Fuel level gauge fails at around 1/2 tank of gas and I get "Range Error" code, filling up will clear that problem. Ideas?

Even with all of these problems, I still love my baby.

I had to have the electrical connector on the transmission replaced a few weeks back when it finally gave out, of course I was 30 miles from home!

Also, I flushed the transmission and replaced the filter. Used cheap Dexron fluid from O'Reilly. Worked just fine!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Michael,
With so many different problems showing up I would first check out fitness of the battery. It maybe worth taking the battery out, giving it a full recharge and then refitting. This will give the car chance to fully reset itself aswell as having a fully charged battery will then give you a better starting point in tracking down any other problems. It is always worth checking the simple things first as it could save a lot in the long run.
Try it, you never know.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the thought. I did have a bad battery, but, I replaced it a few months ago. The battery is new.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a Windows Call Centre, if the battery is good, try a hard reset.
Disconnect the battery earth connection and touch it to batt +ve for a few seconds.
Make sure you've got the radio codes before this and retrain the windows after (down, hold 5 secs, up, hold 5 secs)
I suspect your ASC +TRAC codes are genuine - search the forum for more detail than you probably want!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

+1 on charging the battery out of car. Also, just to be safe, do a hard reset during the battery reinstall.

Procedure: with positive cable attached, touch the negative cable to the positive terminal and hold for about 15-20 seconds. Reattach to negative terminal. This allows all electronics to reset their memory.

You will also need to reset windows (plenty of links on this site or its in the manual). On my 2001, the radio stations stay OK, but I have to reset all bass, treble and SW settings.

Hope this helps. If not, you could be looking at your ABS module. Expensive to replace, but it is a DIY project to repair. Eliminate other issues first.

Edit: steveinfrance beat me to this answer. Guess it's because he is ahead of me in time zone? Or maybe I'm just slow.

Last edited by Jag#4; 08-14-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Already answered.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks guys, will try the hard reset. Easy enough.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Spray some Radio Shack Tuner cleaner on the TPS connector contacts. Do it a couple of times a year, if necessary. If that does not work, you might be looking at a throttle body rebuid because the TPS is not available separately (at least not yet, but some clever folks on this forum might change that).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Edit: steveinfrance beat me to this answer. Guess it's because he is ahead of me in time zone? Or maybe I'm just slow.
It's just us Brits are - well, you know!!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewardok
Engine light comes on from time to time, this is usually due to a "Check Gas Cap" error. I have both an original "Magnetic" cap, and a newer style cap, neither one seems to make a difference. I have an older code reader and am able to clear this code, and all is well. Ideas?
The one most likely happens after every other start of the car when the gas is between 15% full and 85% full.

There is a pressure test that gets run on the tank for the charcoal filter vent system. Could be a crack in the vent line to the canister filter, a crack in the filter or the canister close valve (CCV).

A good place to start is to inspect for obvious damage and clean the connector for the valve. Beyond that it gets kind of hard to diagnose these without having a WDS system that can actuate all the valves one at a time.

Good luck!