XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new XKR please help me find the right one

Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My new XKR please help me find the right one

So I have been looking at a few different XKRs, to bad they didn't sell more of them in the great ole USA, as they are harder to find than 1970 Dodge Chargers.... Mainly because I don't want a black, nor a convertible XKR.

I have looked far and wide, I didn't want to spend more than $7-8K. However all of them in that price range have issues and lots of miles.

I have decided to pony up and spend the money on a "newer or less millage" one raising my budget to $10-12K. Are there any years better than the others, or should I just look for a lower millage one ? What are some of the main improvements on the newer ones? Are the 04 and up ones just that much better to command the $3-4K over the board price increase? Other than just the year why such the big jump in price?

thanks for any feedback

Old 02-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

You are looking for a hard top XKR? That will be hard, specially if you are trying to do it on the cheap. These cars are rare and the sellers know it. Get 03 or newer as there are no timing chain issues. Lower miles DOES NOT mean a better car. These need to be driven. Look for one that has a paper trail of records of repairs. One that has been sitting in a garage with 50k on it is going to cost you in the long run.
The front suspension on any of these xk8's at this point on the back end of being in good shape. The super chargers at this age can have issues of their own. If you can't do some work yourself on these cars and don't have deep pockets DONT BUY ONE!

The following users liked this post:
BlooDSMeaR (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 PM

I am looking at a 04 coupe, down in San Diego. A 14 hour trip to go look at it. It has 90K miles and he wants $13K for it. I am sure as any other seller knows that flashing cash makes any one lower the price by some bit. He does have several receipts for work done, the one that was not maintenance but an actual repair was the oil cooler and line replacement. He did have a complete tune up and fluid service done @ 64K miles. Coolant, rear dif, brake, trans, steering, motor oil, and supercharger oil at a jag dealership about 6 years ago.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Best advice when looking for a car - Don't be in a hurry. You may need to expand your search range, but I doubt you'll find a "decent" XKR coupe in that price range.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Let's get this straight... You want to spend xk8 money for an xkr? And you're having a hard time finding a nice one? This is funny

Matthew Chidester (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 PM
hm1

And... I would not be looking at XKR's under $15k, save up and get something decent

Matthew Chidester (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

BlooDSMear,

I agree with hm1, you want to buy an XKR from 2003 up! They have the 4.2 Liter Engine and the 6 speed Tranny. Plus, they have the improved Supercharger.....a 60,000 mile car, which is hard to find should cost around $16,500 or more! That would be good deal! Put more time in checking the repair records than kicking the Tires, they are cheap considering the repairs that might need to be made!

Let us know if you buy one! Tell us all about it!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 02-16-2017, 12:49 AM
Default I have been looking for a...

I have been looking for a driver quality XKR. I have doubled my budget to $12k by selling a few of my high end rifles. I am looking at a cash buy, so no financing. I know if you can't afford to buy it don't drive it right.... I get that feeling with you guys. There are a few xkr's all over the west, from 6k and up. In fact there is a XKR in Portland listed for $6999, I went to look at it and they said they would sell it for $5500 cash. but it needs wwwaaaaayyyyyy to much work. Miss in the motor, non functional windows, door locks, seats, missing rear view mirror, clunks both in the front and rear suspension. Can tell it sat for way to long by the corrosion on the wheels and trim. Every rubber component was dry rotted. 120k miles. Not only that the head liner was falling apart, so we're the door skins. Not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a decent semi affordable driver quality car. There are deals to be had, problem is they are far and few between especially for a coupe. And I have to travel 500 miles plus to look at them.

yeah 12 cash is my limit.
after seeing what some have said on other post, I will be on the look out for a 03 or newer no more than 100k miles.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Before you go any further, decide who is going to maintain your XKR. If the answer is anything other than YOU then the purchase cost is rapidly going to be overtaken by subsequent maintenance and repairs. Expertise on Jaguars costs big money.

It is rare to find an XK8/XKR that doesn't need some work. If you do, it's probably sitting in one of our member's garages.

Having set your budget and your desired specification, draw up a list of the repairs you would or could accept and be prepared to travel for the right vehicle. If you're looking for perfection then sell a lot more rifles.

For bodywork, original paint in good condition is desireable but reasonable cost to rectify and the expertise is widely available. Trim items are becoming unobtainable and are expensive. Given a choice between bodywork or interior repairs I'd go for bodywork - Jaguar plastic is a frightening price.

Suspension bushes do wear (for example front wishbones lose their elasticity in 25k miles). New bushes and shock absorbers all round transform the ride and handling of most XK8/XKR's.

Electrical issues are a fact of life with low use Jaguars although those of us who use them regularly or daily are usually immune. They also appear to be something that many owners are prepared to tolerate to the point where more and more functions fail to work. Repairs are generally high on time and knowledge rather than on $$'s unless you have to pay someone to do it.

Keep on looking - the right vehicle will be out there.

Graham

Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 AM

I will be doing 99% of all the work. I have a good set of tools, and generally end up buying the specialty tools when required. I rarely take a car in to a shop unless I just can't get it, but it's been my experience that if I can't figure it out, shops can't figure it out either. My built 90 Taurus SHO comes to mind, 3 shops and $1500 later and I sold it, the guy who bought it from me wound up scraping it after 6 months and tons of cash as well.

Any way I think I'm going to be set with the 04 I'm going to go look at. It's in my price range, color is not what I want but I'll live with it. Talking with the guy, he has many high end cars. Any thing that went wrong he took it in. I'm sure it will be a good one.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 AM
hm1

I realize you think it's a lot of cash, but your talking peanuts. You really need to increase your budget, or lower your expectations.

Plus, it's false economy. What you save on the initial buy, you'll more than lose on the maintenance of a neglected car.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM

So what you are saying is that the car I'm looking at In my price range, is not a good car because they are asking less than a dealer?. Just because people ask more for a car does not make it better. I'm looking at the maintenance records and cost. He has 12 pages of dealer maintenance records. Of did you miss that? When I go look at the car I'll decide how much work is needed. If it's been neglected, ill pass I know how to say no. There were a couple cars I have already passed on, and they were on dealer lots. Just because cars are on a dealers lot does not make them any better berate they are asking for more money.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jags are demanding mistresses. You buy them for love and be prepared to spend. If the word max budget is at the top of your list you have to consider other options. Look at an XK8. Lots more around. More affordable. I have been on a 1 year hunt for the right XKR coupe with no max budget and have yet to find the "one".

Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

it's too bad you're set on a coupe - I know one convertible that is looking mint for sale *whistles looking at the ceiling*

lol.. j/k in all seriousness yeah go after what you want (color/options) but yeah I think you're going to struggle finding a newer year one (4.2) at that price.. but you might get lucky! keep trying

Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chidester
it's too bad you're set on a coupe - I know one convertible that is looking mint for sale *whistles looking at the ceiling*

lol.. j/k in all seriousness yeah go after what you want (color/options) but yeah I think you're going to struggle finding a newer year one (4.2) at that price.. but you might get lucky! keep trying
Wish I had waited for your car. Looks perfect!

Matthew Chidester (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM

Like my post said, I doubled my budget to $12k. I have been scanning craigslist, auto trader, car gurus, kbb, Edmonds, most cats of 03 and up vintage are 12k to 16k.
To some of you guys, money is not an issue, to me it is. Even though I don't make me 100k plus a year to afford one, does not mean I shouldn't follow my dream to own one. I am seriously considering the 04 I talked about earlier.

Matthew Chidester (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts
CRHINO (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm like you, money counts and I can fix it when it breaks.

2013 I bought a 2001 xkr conv. So. Cal desert car, 100k, paid $10,000 rare color, good records. typical problems, HOWEVER, the heat is really hard on the rubber hoses and the oil cooler lines ruptured = dead motor in 5 minutes. Don't buy a car from a high heat area or else expect to change a lot of hoses that have become brittle or bulged or just give out. Not fun.

2015 I bought 2004 xkr conv. Portofolio, 115k, paid $13,000 from No. California. Only problem since then was brake micro switchs got stuck from sitting over the winter.

I believe the 2004 - 2006 vintage are the best deal, good cars, most problems fixed. Just take your time looking, realize you will deal with some issues, but the forum has excellent answers.

I live in Idaho so I have to travel for my cars. Seattle cars, Portland cars, SF cars are in better condition in my opinion and they are in your radius. Car fax, lots of pics and email questions then just go for it.

no matter what car you get, check out the good posts on what known issues you should address; like changing the tranny fluid, if you get a 4.2 the lifter problem is fixed.

good luck

BlooDSMeaR (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
Wish I had waited for your car. Looks perfect!
Thanks dsd - I just got back from my local Jaguar dealer.. they offered $15K for it ugh.. I'm debating if I should keep or sell now..

Old 02-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
Like my post said, I doubled my budget to $12k. I have been scanning craigslist, auto trader, car gurus, kbb, Edmonds, most cats of 03 and up vintage are 12k to 16k.
To some of you guys, money is not an issue, to me it is. Even though I don't make me 100k plus a year to afford one, does not mean I shouldn't follow my dream to own one. I am seriously considering the 04 I talked about earlier.
BlooDSMear no-one is putting you down. Its not about what you earn. Its about what you will spend. If an XKR is your dream car I am sure we all hope you succeed. I can offer one tip that I hope you will take seriously. Travel far to find the car. Meet the owner at his home. If the car is super clean and is kept in an immaculate garage, so clean you could eat off the floor and every tool is cleaned and put away in its place you pay that guy the extra one or two or three or five grand more he is asking because he has invested that much in it and you won't have to later. Buy the car that somebody really loved .Good luck with the search.

The following 3 users liked this post by CRHINO:
baddawg (02-16-2017), Matthew Chidester (02-16-2017), michaelh (02-16-2017)

Search this Thread