XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My XK8

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Buy a JTIS cd they're under $10.00 on E-bay They will give you step by step instructions on repairing your Cat. Also a collision parts manual is available this will give you Part #'s and dealer retail prices.
Good luck
Doug

Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Your car looks great. I'm from a small town (<5000 people) and its great to see the looks I get, many have never seen one of these cars. I'm young too (25) and the only downside is that some people who don't know me or the depreciating value of these cars assume I'm one of the local drug dealers.

Enough about me, and on to you. If you want to get the dash trim to match perfectly, then you will have to contact Jaguar to get some of the original wood they kept when your car was made (since the veneer would vary slightly from tree to tree, Jaguar saves some from each car for cases like yours) If you just want something close enough, check out ebay for other countries besides the UK (that way you can get the proper LHD dash piece) you may pay more but still would be significantly less than from Jaguar. Keep searching the forum too, I'm fairly sure I found a link here to another manufacturer for wooden dash trim (I was looking at an XK8 with cracked veneer also, but passed on it)

The orignal CD changer for these cars is in the trunk. A sort of case with 6 trays pops out for the CDs to fit into. You can go aftermarket and change the head unit in the dash, but it seems like this is more difficult for this vehicle. I will admit I haven't looked into the aftermarket approach much.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Welcome to the forum. Your car looks great. I'm from a small town (<5000 people) and its great to see the looks I get, many have never seen one of these cars. I'm young too (25) and the only downside is that some people who don't know me or the depreciating value of these cars assume I'm one of the local drug dealers.

Enough about me, and on to you. If you want to get the dash trim to match perfectly, then you will have to contact Jaguar to get some of the original wood they kept when your car was made (since the veneer would vary slightly from tree to tree, Jaguar saves some from each car for cases like yours) If you just want something close enough, check out ebay for other countries besides the UK (that way you can get the proper LHD dash piece) you may pay more but still would be significantly less than from Jaguar. Keep searching the forum too, I'm fairly sure I found a link here to another manufacturer for wooden dash trim (I was looking at an XK8 with cracked veneer also, but passed on it)

The orignal CD changer for these cars is in the trunk. A sort of case with 6 trays pops out for the CDs to fit into. You can go aftermarket and change the head unit in the dash, but it seems like this is more difficult for this vehicle. I will admit I haven't looked into the aftermarket approach much.
I found my CD changer on E-Bay

Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

welcome ******, there's a wealth of information in many posts and threads in this forum, so when you're bored, read and absorb. Fine job with the tensioners and other repairs you completed.

Not sure what to tell you about the heat/cooling system, as it's not something I'm proficient in. When you replaced the waterpump, I assume the thermostat was also taken care of with a new one? Other than that, coolant flush may clean out your radiator and other system hoses, never know what kind of crud is in your heater core or in those lines. Not sure if there are valves in the system or not, again, not my area of knowledge.

Just work on one issue at a time and you'll be back together in no time. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well K. Westra if you ever saw Memento...there's a small town drug dealer driving an XK8 in that film, so it must mean any young fellow who drives one, including me, must be a drug dealer right?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 93xj6
Well K. Westra if you ever saw Memento...there's a small town drug dealer driving an XK8 in that film, so it must mean any young fellow who drives one, including me, must be a drug dealer right?
I guess so. Around here the dealers all drive F150s or Silverados on 22" wheels (or bigger) so its hard to understand how I would be lumped in with them.

Originally Posted by ******
Thanks a lot Westra! Cheers for the advise too.

I'll keep the CD changer in mind there! Today someone suggested to get a tape (cassette) with a wire which makes it possible to attach to your MP3 player. I'll have a go at that tomorrow and see if thats working properly. Meantime I'll hunt for some CD changers!

Regards,

Tony.
I used one of those cassette adapters for awhile in my other car ('87 Mercury Cougar) before I put a CD player in it. They work pretty well, but I got sick of the wires and the extra hardware. For a temporary solution (or if you don't mind the wires, a permenant one) they are far better than the FM radio adapters that are also sold (which send a short range signal to a specific FM frequency) I suppose you could run the wire down the passenger side of the console and into the console compartment where you could put the MP3 Player and keep things somewhat neat and stealthy.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me just make it clear my entire joke was in sarcasm.. Just want to be clear sometimes I'm not, lol

Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 93xj6
Let me just make it clear my entire joke was in sarcasm.. Just want to be clear sometimes I'm not, lol
I think (I hope) everyone caught that.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Darn, and here I was thinking that I had found a new supplier!
Brian